Brandon V.
  • Milwaukee, WI
Votes |
Electrical Circuit Breaker Tripping Complaints

Brandon V.
  • Milwaukee, WI
Posted Jul 24 2019, 06:10

Hi All,

I recently bought an older four family (in December 2018) built in 1897 and inherited all the tenants.  Each unit is 3 bedrooms one bath and three people in each.  One unit recently had one roommate move out and another one move in and she passed all the background and was fine with me.  Since her moving in though, she has been complaining about the circuit breaker continuing to trip.  So I went over there to look and noticed that the box was limited but newer and functioning just fine.  I go into her room and she has 2 fans going, an alarm clock, an Iphone charger, all hooked up to the same power strip and (the kicker) her hair dryer.  I tried to explain to her that she is overloading the circuit, that they only have 15 amp circuits in the bedrooms and that she can't be using her hair dryer with everything else running.  So she sent me this text yesterday:

"I've been talking to some electrician friends of mine and they are saying that it is a code violation to have so many outlets on one circuit, and that the outlet in the kitchen that has the fridge should be a dedicated circuit, and that that is why our power has been going out so much. The only fixtures in the apartment that aren't on the same circuit (including the attic) are the second outlet in Coco's room and overhead lights in living room. All 3 in kitchen, bathroom, living room, my room, Griffin's room, attic, and overhead lights in kitchen my room, Griffin's room, Coco's room, and bathroom are one single circuit. I think we have to rewire so that they are more evenly distributed on the 2 circuits supplying our unit.

Also, since it was not an issue when I moved in but became an issue, and then got progressively worse, my electrician friend said the breaker may have to be replaced because they wear our over time. It could also be a loose wire somewhere. If the wires get too hot, they expand enough to loosen a wire nut. "

There are six different circuit running in that unit and two of them are 20 amp circuits.  I guess my plan is to go over there and map out the circuits and outlets with them one by one.  Then again explain that you can't be overloading the circuits.  

What would you do in this situation? 

Thanks,

Brandon

Milwaukee electric

Loading replies...