Tenants parents temperay move in

15 Replies

My tenants ask me if it is ok to have her parents move in for about two.months. The parents are in the process of purchasing a house, and there is a gap.

What do I need to do if I allow them stay for two months? Can I charge extra rent due to added persons? How much can I charge?

Thanks.

you can charge whatever you negotiate.

I dunno about you, but our standard contract says guests can't stay for more than 30 days in any 6 month period without written consent.

From what I've read, I think 30 days is the magic number before special tenancy rules start to apply and crap gets complicated.

So whatever you negotiate, get it in writing.

Your answers may be found in your lease agreement or will be determined by your local city/state laws. It is common to have language in residential leases that an extra charge will apply for additional occupants not on the original lease, but this is generally not easy to enforce if the occupancy is for a short time.

Do you consider the tenants to be good tenants? How long have they rented? Are your rents at market? Do you pay for any utilities? If you are happy with them, I suggest not charging extra or charging for additional utilities/costs you may incur. That said, I would also suggest an addendum to your lease that allows the additional occupants only for a specified duration.

If they are good tenants that you want to keep.  I would work with them.  I wouldn't put anything in writing because you don't want to acknowledge you are giving them permission to live there just in case an issue arises.  Talk to them in person or on the phone.  If you are paying any of the utilities than I would charge more.  Where I'm at the utilities are about $100 a person a month.  

If they've been good tenants for a while, then I'd just let them (parents) stay the two months without adding any additional charges. Be happy they asked permission. 

I would let them stay, but put it in writing with a start date and end date. Also, if you are paying utilities you can add in a few bucks to help with that too. You have to do what works for you and your property though.

The tenants are new, so I don't know if they are good or bad. I can only assume they will be good based on my screening results. The lease will start on Aug 1st. Should O have the parents submit an application as well for the screening.

Thanks.

Originally posted by @Yan Guo :

The tenants are new, so I don't know if they are good or bad. I can only assume they will be good based on my screening results. The lease will start on Aug 1st. Should O have the parents submit an application as well for the screening.

Thanks.

That kind of changes things for me. Maybe ask them for a copy of their home purchase agreement and confirm with their realtor. You have to go with your guy. Only you have met the tenants. I would wonder if they are legit or not.

I would screen the parents as they may be there for the duration of the lease.  I would also ask to see the contract for the house, verify when it was entered into and when they should have possession, and if there are any expected delays, including construction, inspection, and loan approval.  And I would find out where the parent used to live and why they could not stay there for 2 months.  Then to stop the parents from being residents, I would tell them to stay in a hotel and give you a receipt that they paid for a hotel every 25 days, and to get a PO box for their mail, none going to the house.

Two months? A little bit long for lodge. You can ask for extra rent for it. And it is a tough task, coz usually more tenants will bring more positivity of damage to your property. Maybe also sign a short-term contract with them?

Today the tenant said the lease didn't say I could ask for extra rent and even the application fees if extra people live in. She said she talked to a HUD agent about the fair housing act and she is going to do more research. Are adults' parent counted as family members? Is it not compliance if I reject to have their parents to move in? Can I just say no to their parents?

Hate to say it, but it sounds like they are going to be problem tenants. When tenants start talking about HUD laws, their attorneys, etc., it usually doesn't end well. If they are giving you a hard time, then just tell them the parents can't move in. I assume the lease says who is supposed to live there, right? If they move the parents in, just evict for the lease violation. Or offer them the opportunity to break the lease now at no cost.

IMO, if they are good tenants and the type of tenants that landlords wish for then let the parents stay for two months.  I wouldn't charge extra rent unless I incurred extra noticeable expenses. If I was a good tenant I'd be pissed if my landlord said no or charged me extra. I'd tell the landlord good luck finding a tenant like me and I'd go rent elsewhere.  

Originally posted by @Yan Guo :

Today the tenant said the lease didn't say I could ask for extra rent and even the application fees if extra people live in. She said she talked to a HUD agent about the fair housing act and she is going to do more research. Are adults' parent counted as family members? Is it not compliance if I reject to have their parents to move in? Can I just say no to their parents?

Does your lease specify adult occupants by name? If so, I'd argue the rental rate noted in the lease is based, specifically, on the adult occupants named.