Indoor Paint Color for all rentals

101 Replies

Ok, I’m on my phone and just too lazy to search all the past forums.

I want an indoor paint color that I can put in every room, in every rental that I own. You know the routine. Easy to touch up without needing to match color. Buy in 5 gallon buckets and have it laying around. Easy to repaint entire units after a few years.

Doesn’t have to be a long answer, but what do you use for multiple units and properties?

I prefer semi-gloss in all rooms. Dirty finger prints, grease can be wiped off with soap and water. Bath & kitchen is glossy.

Color is your call. 

@Anthony Wick I was listing to the podcasts the other day and I heard something genius - putting the color code for the paint in the lease so the tenants can do the repairs before they leave and get it right. Not on point but if you are going to go uniform might as well go that extra step.

Originally posted by @Haseeb M. :

@Anthony Wick

Repose gray it is by Sherman Williams, Tenants love it.

https://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/products/SW7015-reposegray/7015#/7015/?s=coordinatingColors&p=PS0

Have to agree with Haseeb.  Repose gray is perfect.  Neutral but still elegant. We use eggshell, not shiny enough to show every imperfection in the drywall, but easy to clean.

I do a satin light gray, high gloss white trim.  In kitchens and baths I have a light sage green color thats a semi-gloss.  Changed my life figuring out to buy the same color for all units!

As an owner of a professional painting company for the past 10 years my recommendation would be: 

Benajmin Moore Scuff X matte for walls, color: OC23 Classic Grey 

Benjamin Moore Scuff X Semi Gloss White for trims and doors. 

We use this is all of our properties, you will not believe how durable this ScuffX paint is! you can literally take your keys and try to scratch the wall and nothing will happen! not the cheapest paint on the market but worth it!

@Anthony Wick  

We use Sherwin-Williams and mostly use these two:

Simplify Beige

Familiar Beige

I do satin in living room and bedrooms and semi-gloss in bathrooms or kitchens.

I would love for every property to be the same, but some we are doing touch up on other colors, which is easier than repainting the entire space. In a perfect world, it would be same color everywhere. Even same flooring, fixtures, etc. The more you can standardize the better. Of course it is not always that easy.

Originally posted by @Brad Ger :

@Anthony Wick I was listing to the podcasts the other day and I heard something genius - putting the color code for the paint in the lease so the tenants can do the repairs before they leave and get it right. Not on point but if you are going to go uniform might as well go that extra step.

I like this lease suggestion, so it is tied to something they sign. Tenants have been known to paint without approval, so this keeps it documented what color it should be. 

We keep track of colors used in every room at every property on a spreadsheet, so if the paint cans are gone or I need to order paint when not at the property, I know the color. We also leave touch up paint with each color at the property.

When we order paint, we give Sherwin Williams the property address and they track it in their computer. So at any time they can look up my account and see what paint was purchased for each address.

It may seem like overkill, but being able to get the identical paint for touch up is so important. It can save considerable time and money.

Greys make it modern. I use Valspar Granite Dust walls. Everything else gets the same

Ceiling, Trim, Doors and cabinets.

The gray shades are the new beige :)
I do a shade of gray....cant recall the exact name......and I leave a can stashed away at the property.... in the attic or some other less than obvious location.....

Originally posted by @Ned J. :

The gray shades are the new beige :)
I do a shade of gray....cant recall the exact name......and I leave a can stashed away at the property.... in the attic or some other less than obvious location.....

Pro tip #573895: When storing paint do not keep it in the garage or a place where it can freeze. and also keep the paint can upside down, thank me a year later when you open it :)