Vinyl Planks vs. Laminate For Tenant-Proofing a House

14 Replies

Vinyl plank all the way. Laminate is (usually) cheaper and looks great - until kids and pets make a mess on it and it starts to swell up and come apart. Or someone leaves a window open and it rains. Or someone gets crazy with wet mopping.

Save yourself the pain and go vinyl. 

Be careful installing vinyl plank on hot days where temperatures exceed the install recommendations. I almost ruined an entire bathroom floor install on the last couple rows because the adhesive wouldn’t let me readjust the plank without ripping the vinyl!

I'd like to see someone's luxury vinyl in its worst condition.

Those of you with C D grade properties with vinyl plank...

is it the same principle with vinyl plank... lighter color shows scratches less ?

Also, have you guys even read the lifetime warranty fine print on these vinyl planks? So many gotchas.

For instance, SmartCore at Lowes says you gotta have wear through in over 3% of the whole install area for them to even cover under warranty.

Stainmaster plank warranty pretty much halfassed-

LIMITED LIFETIME RESIDENTIAL WEAR WARRANTY
x The manufacturer will supply new material of the same color, design, and grade, if available; if unavailable or
discontinued, Novalis reserves the right to select and supply similar the manufacturer materials. After
corrective action is taken on an existing defect, you will continue to receive warranty coverage for the
remaining period of your original warranty.
x One replacement floor only will be made for the wear out, fading and staining. Claimants who received
settlement may not claim again and no additional replacement floors will be supplied.
x Alternatively, a refund of up to 100% of the original cost of the material (the percentage of the original
cost refundable depends on the amount of time elapsed since the date of purchase: within 1-2 years -
100%; within 3-5 years - 70%; within 5-20 years 50%.
x No representative, employee, or agent of STAINMASTER™, Lowe’s or their affiliates are authorized to
modify or change the limited warranty as stated here in.

Warranty Limitations:
x This warranty is not transferable
x Manufacturing defect must be reported within 3 months from the date of purchase
x This warranty covers only properly installed and maintained floors, according to the instructions on the
package.
x This product is sold as a Do-It-Yourself (D.I.Y.) product and therefore professional labor costs for
residential installations are not covered under this warranty.
x The manufacturer excludes and will not pay for any consequential or incidental damages under this limited
warranty.
x The manufacturer will not pay for the loss of time, inconvenience or other incidental expenses incurred
during the installation and the subsequent removal and/or reinstallation of affected material.
x This warranty does not cover the exclusions indicated on the package.
x The manufacturer reserves the right of final judgement and may refuse claims in certain instances.
x The manufacturer reserves the right to modify or withdraw the warranty at any time.
x The manufacturer reserves the right to inspect any flooring claimed to be defective in the installed
environment, either by a company representative or independent 3rd-party inspection service.

This warranty does not include the following:
x Improper installation or product not installed according to Novalis installation guidelines and accepted industry
standards.
x Flooring installed in areas not suitable for solid vinyl plank or tile.
x Lack of maintenance or improper maintenance such as dulling by soaps, detergents, harsh chemicals, dressings,
one-step cleaners or wax.
x Damaged by narrow tipped heels, vacuum cleaners, burns, cuts, scratches, gouges and indentations caused by
rolling loads, caster wheels, furniture and chairs without proper floor protectors and furniture rests and cuts by
sharp objects.
x Damages caused by burns, flooding, fires and other disasters.
x Staining or changes in color caused by dyes tracked from carpet, fertilizers, coal, tar, driveway sealers, oil
drippings or other similar materials; faded or discolored by sunlight or heat generation
x Stains, fading, discoloration or moisture problems due to use of rubber or rubber-backed mats.
x Problems or damage due to moisture and/or alkalinity in sub floor; discoloration or bond release from
hydrostatic pressure or excessive moisture caused by flooding, plumbing and appliance leaks and water leakage
from doors.
x Mold and mildew growth caused by excessive moisture.
x Installed over unstable, unsuitable, or improperly prepared sub floors, wet/cold floor and/or radiant-heated
floor in excess of 85⁰F.
x Different from samples or printed material in shade, color or embossing.

carpet 3 renters if your lucky,

laminate can be ruined with a sponge mop,

vinyl plank , (snap together) has made it three renters and still looking good,

ceramic tile on concrete foundations lasted for years, but a cast iron skillet will break one.

warranty,
yeah right, suck it up , and get ready to buy more product.

Vinyl all the way. Snap-in is better but glue-down works fine as well. Warranty is not worth the time trying to chase it down. The planks are cheap enough that you just replace the damaged ones as needed. I will never use laminate again. It is too easily damaged by moisture and has too much of a hollow/echo sound even with underlayment.

Over the past two years I have been replacing bad laminate with LVP. My units are in the northeast and repeated expose to water from snow eventually made the seems of the laminate swell... then it’s only a matter of time before the wear layer and design rip off. No complaints with vinyl as of now. Easier to install, many types (not all) are 100% waterproof. Only downside I am aware of is that the face of the planks are more susceptible to damage and there are some concerns with sun exposure. I always go with LPV. My subfloors are normally too beat up for glue down. It is also not as durable.

As a contractor and investor, I have only done the vinyl planks in one house. It was a clients request in a flip. I was not crazy about it, and yes it did swell from sunlight in a room with lots of windows. Once we discovered it while it was on the market, we had to put blinds up on the windows.

I used porcelain tile (pure porcelain all the way through, not just a glaze) so tough that we had to use diamond drills to drill in our anti-tip for the oven. It comes in the highest durability rating (there is scientific lab test numbers rating different tiles including the ones you guys are talking about)  

The only problem for me with it was the crappy labor I had to choose from the job being near Houston right after Harvey .. that kind of hard tough tile is sharp cornered like marble so you got to get a better tile setter that will butter the tile and floor, and also float it with level or the tile will be uneven slightly enough to give sharp edges snagging peoples socks.

I am now building 14 more apartments and I got to decide on floors real soon, I want to know more about that PVC, that sounds real interesting. lot easier than tile I a talking about

That kind of hard tough porcelain tile cost about $1.10 to $1.30 a foot when buying bulk and the labor need to be over $2 a foot, Plus floating the floor when needed. It is by far hands down the toughest tenant proofer.