Acceptable Wait Time for a Plumber

Acceptable Wait Time for a Plumber

Missy H.Pro Member
Investor · Bloomfield, NJ · Member since 2015 · 207 posts · 121 votes

My tenant texted me last night at 8:39pm that the toilet is backed up.  I called the plumber this morning and he said that he would try to make it there today but has a busy schedule.  He is a guy that I normally use and has fair pricing.  How long would you say is reasonable for a tenant to wait for a plumber.  It is the second floor apartment of a duplex and the downstairs tenant is not having an issue.  Chances are it is something they put in the toilet themselves.

0Reply
10 views

Most Popular Reply

Contractor · Coachella Valley, CA · Member since 2017 · 252 posts · 176 votes
7y

This really depends on the plumber's schedule.  I know that when I need to send one of our guys out, I check my calendar first to see what I have available, then provide the customer with a time frame.  

With that being said, I would say a 6 hour window (Ex: AM or PM Appointment) would be a reasonable wait.  (Heck, I have had package/material delivery time frames longer than that!)

Again this really depends on HIS schedule & if it were me, I would have provided YOU with a time frame to avoid this confusion.  Communication is key! 

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Contractor · Coachella Valley, CA · Member since 2017 · 252 posts · 176 votes
    7y

    This really depends on the plumber's schedule.  I know that when I need to send one of our guys out, I check my calendar first to see what I have available, then provide the customer with a time frame.  

    With that being said, I would say a 6 hour window (Ex: AM or PM Appointment) would be a reasonable wait.  (Heck, I have had package/material delivery time frames longer than that!)

    Again this really depends on HIS schedule & if it were me, I would have provided YOU with a time frame to avoid this confusion.  Communication is key! 

  • Joel OwensBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Canton, GA · Member since 2010 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    7y

    Fair pricing and quality work usually means a big backlog of customers wanting their services.

    A toilet clog is likely a small fee compared to bigger jobs where more money can be made. They probably try to fit in the small stuff in between larger and likely more profitable jobs. 

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    7y

    Instead of an open-ended statement like, "I'll try to get there today..." you should find a plumber that says, "I can be there between 2 - 4pm."

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Peter TverdovBusiness Member
    Developer · New Brunswick, NJ · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y

    Has the tenant actually tried plunging it? Whenever I get that call, I explain that a toilet clog is a tenant caused issue and they could be responsible for the bill. You'll be surprised how fast that clog goes away. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Erie, PA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y

    And this is precisely why in my lease it states 'toilet and drain clogs are the responsibility of the tenant'. 

    Once I began this practice I literally never had a tenant contact me since about a clogged toilet or drain (when they know they'll be paying for a plumber they are much more careful).

    For this I would call a drain clog specialist (they are the ones with the $99 specials) - they tend to go out to a property within two hours; the one time I used one he was there in roughly an hour (it was a nasty clog too - I had some pipes jetted by a different company soon after buying a property and instead of clearing those pipes they simply clogged the main sewage pipe causing the plumbing to back up).

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.