• Santa Maria, CA
Votes |
California ADU business

David Maldonado
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Santa Maria, CA
Posted Oct 12 2019, 08:25

What's up guys,

I just finished building a permitted ADU (accessory dwelling unit) on my sfh. Converted my garage into a 488 sq ft 1cbed 1 bath apartment. final cost with permits was about 37k. I built most of it with my old man and only had to outsouce a few things. The cash flow is great from this unit alone and I plan on building another unit on the right side of my house. Ca just passed SB 13 along with 2 accessory bills effective Jan 1st 2020 that no longer require owner occupancy, city's can't charge impact fees, and can add up to 2 units per lot (not including the home itself). From what I read the bill allows 1 jr adu (under 500 sq ft) and 1 adu (above 500 sq ft, max 1200). Luckily where I live there is rarely ever any need for AC or heater use). Does this seem like a good market to hit in y'alls opinion? From my research, there is way more money in this at least for my area. A typical duplex goes for about 400k in my area and doesn't bring you cashflow nowhere near close to what an ADU brings. I'm just curious to see how much value the units will add to a home since this is fairly new (from a legal perspective anyway). The only drawback from this I see besides needing the cash to fund it, is for an investor who prefers to get all their cash invested back from a deal will more than likely not get everything back at the end especially if they contract everything out ( the lowest quote I got for the ADU was about 60-70k but that was just an estimate and could have been more).

Average rent for ADUs in my area:

1 bed 1 bath- $1000-$1300

2bed 1 bath- $1300-$1600

Something tells me they can go for a little bit more because I had tenants bidding for my unit within the first week of construction.

Loading replies...