Trafficmaster Allure Ultra Wood Vinyl Planks

82 Replies

I've know we've previously discussed the pros and cons of vinyl wood plank flooring in other topics, as well as Trafficmaster Allure, but I've recently seen this new product at Home Depot Called Trafficmaster Allure Ultra. It's twice as thick as the regular Trafficmaster Allure but instead of glue snaps together. I realize it's a pretty new product and may not be cost effective ($2.99 square/ft), but it has a lifetime residential warranty. Curious if anyone has had an experience with it. I've been moving more towards vinyl wood plank flooring (instead of tile) down here in Texas because the soil moves so darn much, I need a floor with a little give.

I haven't used the product you described; I've used glue down vinyl plank.

But yesterday I was at my REIA's local vendor show, and Lumber Liquidators has something in vinyl plank that was snap-together, and if you get one of their commercial accounts you get a discount off of their showroom "retail" pricing (but pick-up is at the local showroom). The price they were telling me beats what HD can do for what you just described.

Yes, and even better pricing for a commercial account. See if you can get one; I am able to via my REIA affiliation - maybe you can have something similar.

How much for the Lumber Liquidator 5 mm vinyl wood ?

I just did a whole house with the entry level Allure and wish I would have gone thicker. You can see/feel some of the imperfections in the sub floor.

Jon K. Lumber Liquidators was about $2.5 square foot, so more than basic Allure (I see basic selling for $1.79). Agreed on the basic Allure. I like the finished product but the imperfections due to subfloor are annoying.

I've been using the basic aAllure for three years now and I love it. For a cheap house, it gives a nice clean look. The fact that it's water resistent is great for kitchens. I had a dishwasher overflow and it didn't damage the floor. Pergo would have been shot.

I will check out this new product, but it sounds pricey. I think fake wood is ok for a cheaper house, but I wouldn't install it in something nice.

@Rob K, do you have a basement in that property or it was a slab house? i have a slab house which currently has a carpet. I wonder if it will feel too cold on your feet in our climate if i just put the vinyl planks on the cement.

@George P. I used it on a basement floor once. I bought a house with a finished basement and a leaky wall. Also, the sewer backed up. I didn't want to risk putting down carpet, so I did the whole floor with Allure. It came out nice. I don't know if it feels cold, but I haven't had any complaints from the tenants.

I almost always use that product on kitchen floors and also the foyer area when you walk in. I have put it in some bathrooms too.

What's nice about it is that you can replace a few pieces without taking up the whole floor. I had a floor buckle and I was able to hire a guy to fix the floor and then replace a section of Allure and it came out fine.

If you're buying "basic" vinyl plank, Lowes has some on sale right now (at least in my area) for $0.78 per sq ft; those are 2 sq ft planks, so each plank is $1.56, carton holds 20 planks so that is $31.20 a carton. Add sales tax to that, and that is not including any other discounts you might get. This stuff is peel-n-stick (that I've had to glue down anyway), and non-floating. And you know if you need to buy extra later because you didn't get enough up front, Lowes will honor your original price for the extra if you show the original receipt.

Originally posted by Douglas Peterson:
We have gone from carpet to laminate to now using Armstrong Stratamax floating vinyl.

Douglas, what do you like about it and how much does it cost?

Installed in entire house for about $2/sq ft
Mold proof, tear proof
Wood or tile look
I hate carpet and had water damage w laminate so I was looking for something else
Flooring is a constant headache in rentals, but this is the best I've found for now
I am, of course, always looking for something cheaper, easier to install, longer lasting, and better looking
If anybody has a better idea please share it

The Urban Vinyl plank flooring is an excellent product. I first saw it several years ago in apartments (numerous complexes) one of my company's clients owns. It seems to be quite durable.

Jon K. Can you comment on what type of subfloor imperfection is showing through the basic Allure? Just today I was thinking of using it over old vinyl. Vinyl is 8 years old in ok shape and flat and level, but installer missed some glue and debris bits . I've pounded most of those out but am wondering what is showing or wearing through the basic Allure. Thanks!

I used it over plywood subfloor in a mobile home. There were small gaps in some of the seams and not perfectly level. You can tell, or at least i can, maybe my tenant doesn't notice it. I've put laminate over this kind of subfloor whithout a problem.

I wonder if using an underlayment wouldnt alleviate the issue of the imperfection of the sub floor

If it is something like seams in the plywood and extra barrier or cushion may just make the floor feel great.

I have two rentals I am getting ready and have to decide on flooring.

I am new to renting and have already faced warpage in the kitchen laminate floor in one of my properties.

I have a duplex which is no expensive house I want an upscale look without the risk of expensive repair.

the flooring with 12mm thickness is appealing although costly
the 4mm thickness concerns me

I plan on going through builder directs they have flooring from
.89 psf to 2.89 for the 12mm stuff.

I have never seen it once it is down so I dont know how good it looks

Jon K. Thanks for your reply. I wanted to confirm it was subfloor seams that were showing through the Allure, I think vinyl (sheet goods, peel-and-stick and planking) is less for forgiving than laminate when it comes to subfloor imperfections. Vinyl ends up hugging and conforming to the floor. The old sheet good vinyl floor I want to cover, while not perfectly level as the house has some settling, is smooth and seam free, and will probably do ok with the basic Allure.

@Douglas Peterson In your Stratomax installations, are you using full spread adhesive or taping at walls and seams? The install instructions indicate that it is effective and durable as floating flooring, but I'm really wondering about your experience with it. It's pretty good looking for vinyl sheeting.

I use sheet vinyl in wet areas (kitchen and bathrooms) instead of seamed flooring because of water that could soak through the seams and rot the subfloor. Does anyone know if the water leaks through the seams? I would like to use a same flooring throughout the house.

I have used the Allure Vinyl plank flooring in two rentals. One a condo on plywood subfloor. It went down ok and looked nice, but in less that a year there are scratches and a burn spot where candle wax got on it(tile would have shown nothing and is easy to replace just one tile). The second unit is on concrete subfloor, again went down nice, but is scratched up in places. I plan on using tile now for rental flooring, just as cheap, if you install it yourself. Always open to new ideas.

Originally posted by Shanequa J.:
I use sheet vinyl in wet areas (kitchen and bathrooms) instead of seamed flooring because of water that could soak through the seams and rot the subfloor. Does anyone know if the water leaks through the seams? I would like to use a same flooring throughout the house.

I would imagine that anywhere there are seams, that water can penetrate.

But I would venture that your sheet goods would have this same issue in certain places in the bath. For example, around the toilet, or where the sheet meets the tub - there will be an edge where water could get in.

Has anyone tried these from lumber liquidators? http://www.lumberliquidators.com/ll/c/Mount-Craig-Cherry-Resilient-Vinyl-Flooring-Tranquility-2MO/10024491 They are the full peel and stick kind. I know home depot has the ones the only have the edges that stick together. http://www.homedepot.com/Flooring-Vinyl-Flooring-Resilient-Flooring-Resilient-Vinyl-Planks/h_d1/N-5yc1vZbzjz/R-100592904/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&storeId=10051. I would think the LL brand would be better since it sticks to the whole floor and not just to each other; it has more sticky contact area. Which one would you recommend and why?

I used the peel and stick squares from Home Depot in the laundry area in 2 of my units only because I was getting new water heaters installed before I had time to put in the rest of the flooring. I even prepped the plywood floor by painting it with primer as per HDs instructions. Some of the tiles pulled right off when I cleaned it later with the shop vac. My shop vac isn't that strong.... I had to glue those pieces down with liquid nails. I did the rest of the units with http://www.lumberliquidators.com/ll/c/Szechuan-Ming-Bamboo-Laminate-Dream-Home-St.-James-12SB-O/10024131

So far the flooring from Lumber Liquidators has only been installed for a couple of months, but installing it was easy and it looks fabulous!! I'd post a pic if I new how.

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here