Mechanical Vents for Drain Plumbing in Philaldelphia

Mechanical Vents for Drain Plumbing in Philaldelphia

Rental Property Investor · Blue Bell, PA · Member since 2018 · 93 posts · 12 votes

Hi everyone and Philly plumbing code knowledgeable people!

I have an issue where I would like to install new laundry hook-ups in a downstairs apartment and have no easy access to connect to my main vent that goes up to my roof. I've been researching and I see there are products out there called "mechanical vents" or "air admittance vents" that install close to the drain and act as check valves, allows air to be sucked in but not allowing the drain gases to come out.

My question is, are these allowed to be used in Philaldelphia per the plumbing code?

I'm also going to check with some local plumbers so I'll provide more info when I receive it.

-Oscar

0Reply
20 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Upstate, NY · Member since 2012 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
6y

They are here & appear to be common according to our Bldg. Insp. 

Yours says this..."..air admittance valves shall conform to ASSE 1051...."

https://www.dli.pa.gov/ucc/Documents/Philadelphia-IPC-Amendments.pdf

Make sure you install it correctly & that you can get access to it in case the rubber diaphragm ever fails or deteriorates. We use a good quality Studor or Oatey. 

See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Upstate, NY · Member since 2012 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y

    They are here & appear to be common according to our Bldg. Insp. 

    Yours says this..."..air admittance valves shall conform to ASSE 1051...."

    https://www.dli.pa.gov/ucc/Documents/Philadelphia-IPC-Amendments.pdf

    Make sure you install it correctly & that you can get access to it in case the rubber diaphragm ever fails or deteriorates. We use a good quality Studor or Oatey. 

  • Handyman · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Oscar Beteta:

    Hi everyone and Philly plumbing code knowledgeable people!

    I have an issue where I would like to install new laundry hook-ups in a downstairs apartment and have no easy access to connect to my main vent that goes up to my roof. I've been researching and I see there are products out there called "mechanical vents" or "air admittance vents" that install close to the drain and act as check valves, allows air to be sucked in but not allowing the drain gases to come out.

    My question is, are these allowed to be used in Philaldelphia per the plumbing code?

    I'm also going to check with some local plumbers so I'll provide more info when I receive it.

    -Oscar

    It's going to depend. Here on the other side of the state, plumbing code enforcement throughout the county is handled by the county health department. Mechanical vents/Studor vents/AAVs (air admittance valves) are allowed. There's a special provision in our local code that you can only install them with petroleum jelly as a thread sealant (just like cleanout plugs), no thread seal compounds.

  • Rental Property Investor · Blue Bell, PA · Member since 2018 · 93 posts · 12 votes
    6y

    Thanks guys!!

  • Member since 2019 · 226 posts · 107 votes
    6y
    Any reason you aren't calling the building inspector for your answer?
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.