To catch a pot smoker

39 Replies

@Wesley W. This is unacceptable! If I were you I would not rest one second until the situation is resolved. Nobody should be smoking nasty swag in your building, and grossing out all the other tenants with their poor taste in weed. Have you tried introducing her to Super Lemon Haze yet? If not, I’d start there. Don’t wait, bring some over immediately. Super Lemon Haze is simply dripping with deliciously aromatic terpenes that emit an irresistible fragrance which is certain to provide a nice relaxing atmosphere to your building, quickly dissolving any tensions between tenants. If you include Super Lemon Haze with your units, you will exclusively attract and retain only top-shelf renters like doctors and lawyers. Seriously though, what is up with all these posts lately about evicting people over some weed? There was one recently where the OP kept saying “but it’s a lease violation!” Sure, it certainly is but I guarantee you every tenant violates the lease at some point. My lease is basically worded that way so I have ammo if I need it. Do I evict for every lease violation? Nope, because I prefer having tenants. Evictions and turnovers are expensive and to be avoided at all costs people, especially this time of year. If your tenants are paying rent on time, don’t rock the boat. Pick your battles and save your nuclear option for when it’s actually necessary! Buying cameras, hiding in the shadows in a ninja suit, playing keystone cop, threatening eviction... sounds time consuming, frustrating, and expensive and also a good way to create animosity with tenants. What are you going to do; stalk, spy on and evict every tenant that smokes weed? What a futile exercise. Who will rent your units? I smell weed basically every time I go into one of my buildings. If none of the residents care, then neither do I. If another tenant such as one with young kids or a health condition or something complains, then of course I would address the issue but that literally never happens as they tend to work it out themselves which is exactly what I want. I don’t think of my tenants as roommates or children, and stay out of their personal business and all tenant drama as much as possible. However I do have zero tolerance for growing, excessive smoking of anything inside to the point of bothering the neighbors, and of course tobacco use inside is grounds for swift and relentless punishment because nicotine smoke causes actual damage to the property. But I can’t be bothered by a little weed personally. I’ve smelled it in my section 8 units and also my class A units. If I threatened to evict every time I smelled it, I’d have a lot less tenants and a lot less money. As long as they don’t get so stoned they forget to Venmo the rent on the 1st, and nobody else in the building is upset about it, I don’t see any reason to get involved. If it bothers you, it can probably be resolved with a nice conversation but I wouldn’t get carried away investing in cameras or threatening to evict, that just seems more than a little excessive. Taking on the cost of cameras or an eviction or even just a turnover (especially because it’s hard to find a good tenant this time of year) would be extreme overkill for something you’re likely to encounter a lot when owning multifamily buildings in a state where weed is decriminalized and used by many. I’d stay completely out of it unless you have other tenants complaining or it’s actually effecting your business somehow. I spent this week patching holes punched in doors and cleaning up blood splatters on top of crayon drawings on the walls (heavy-duty domestic violence damage in a unit with young kids), so I’d be psyched if my only issue was some weed smell at this point, just to put your problem in perspective. Good luck!

Originally posted by @Steve K. :

@Wesley W. This is unacceptable! If I were you I would not rest one second until the situation is resolved. Nobody should be smoking nasty swag in your building, and grossing out all the other tenants with their poor taste in weed. Have you tried introducing her to Super Lemon Haze yet? If not, I’d start there. Don’t wait, bring some over immediately. Super Lemon Haze is simply dripping with deliciously aromatic terpenes that emit an irresistible fragrance which is certain to provide a nice relaxing atmosphere to your building, quickly dissolving any tensions between tenants. If you include Super Lemon Haze with your units, you will exclusively attract and retain only top-shelf renters like doctors and lawyers. Seriously though, what is up with all these posts lately about evicting people over some weed? There was one recently where the OP kept saying “but it’s a lease violation!” Sure, it certainly is but I guarantee you every tenant violates the lease at some point. My lease is basically worded that way so I have ammo if I need it. Do I evict for every lease violation? Nope, because I prefer having tenants. Evictions and turnovers are expensive and to be avoided at all costs people, especially this time of year. If your tenants are paying rent on time, don’t rock the boat. Pick your battles and save your nuclear option for when it’s actually necessary! Buying cameras, hiding in the shadows in a ninja suit, playing keystone cop, threatening eviction... sounds time consuming, frustrating, and expensive and also a good way to create animosity with tenants. What are you going to do; stalk, spy on and evict every tenant that smokes weed? What a futile exercise. Who will rent your units? I smell weed basically every time I go into one of my buildings. If none of the residents care, then neither do I. If another tenant such as one with young kids or a health condition or something complains, then of course I would address the issue but that literally never happens as they tend to work it out themselves which is exactly what I want. I don’t think of my tenants as roommates or children, and stay out of their personal business and all tenant drama as much as possible. However I do have zero tolerance for growing, excessive smoking of anything inside to the point of bothering the neighbors, and of course tobacco use inside is grounds for swift and relentless punishment because nicotine smoke causes actual damage to the property. But I can’t be bothered by a little weed personally. I’ve smelled it in my section 8 units and also my class A units. If I threatened to evict every time I smelled it, I’d have a lot less tenants and a lot less money. As long as they don’t get so stoned they forget to Venmo the rent on the 1st, and nobody else in the building is upset about it, I don’t see any reason to get involved. If it bothers you, it can probably be resolved with a nice conversation but I wouldn’t get carried away investing in cameras or threatening to evict, that just seems more than a little excessive. Taking on the cost of cameras or an eviction or even just a turnover (especially because it’s hard to find a good tenant this time of year) would be extreme overkill for something you’re likely to encounter a lot when owning multifamily buildings in a state where weed is decriminalized and used by many. I’d stay completely out of it unless you have other tenants complaining or it’s actually effecting your business somehow. I spent this week patching holes punched in doors and cleaning up blood splatters on top of crayon drawings on the walls (heavy-duty domestic violence damage in a unit with young kids), so I’d be psyched if my only issue was some weed smell at this point, just to put your problem in perspective. Good luck!

"SUPER LEMON HAZE!" You wild dawg.

@Matthew Paul you might not even need a net, you could just offer those christmas double stuff oreas as a reward and they'll probably turn themselves in. lol

However, seriously, I expect this might become more of a problem as time goes on and I think medical marijuana might be a real benefit to some people. I would be willing to unofficially use the "reasonable accomodation" standard and permit a good tenant to pay for the installation of a vent maybe like a bathroom fan in the room where they want to smoke in the kinds of apartments where it isn't the norm anyway.

So, in light of some of the dismissive "business advice" a few of you have provided, here's where I am at.

This is a multi-family building, and all of the tenants pay rent - including some that might not appreciate having the peaceable enjoyment of their homes disrupted by someone violating the lease and infusing smoke throughout the building.  I have experienced first-hand that someone smoking in a unit can be smelled in a unit on a different floor at the other end of the building.  Apparently, it permeates the building envelope and travels through the shared walls.  I've even smelled it in the basement at times.  I get that it might not bother you or I personally, but I am the steward for my tenants, and if I have provisions in my lease, I'd better be ready to enforce them.

If a tenant is infringing on the living experience of others (and violating the lease, to boot), then they are creating a business problem for me.  Add to that they are intentionally disabling a smoke alarm to smoke their dope.  God forbid - if there is a fire, whose *** do you think would be in a sling if there is a non-functioning smoke alarm in a common area?

If I am "laissez faire" about this, my other tenants may move rather than tolerate it or "take it upon themselves" to resolve, and I'd be managing a group of lease-violating potheads.  Just in case you didn't know - that's not my target demographic.

This isn't a moral issue for me (although a few of you are trying to make it that) - it's a lease enforcement and liability issue.  I mentioned they were smoking pot because I thought there might be a way to use that information to help follow up (and thank you @James Mc Ree for that tip).

Thanks again to those who gave their constructive input.

lol, these responses are just what I needed to get me through the rest of the day. Trail of chips = genius idea. I'm of the same notion as Jon -- if this is a shared entryway (hallway between units), then I definitely feel like that would warrant the installation of security cams. Something as simple as a ring system would do the trick. But the chips trail... that's a pretty good one.

Oh Man!  This thread is Beautiful. Id agree with the advice to pick your battles. If your tripping about a little pot smoke you might want get out of the Rental business. Unless your serious about catching this filthy pot smoker in which case, I vote double stuffed Oreos and a net .... or maybe just Oreos, Netflix  and a couch, That would probably do it. 

Serious suggestion though, relax, read a Book and go buy some low cost index funds with the rent checks. Problem solved.

Or take advise From Depak Chopra "this is all a construct of your mind"....  

Since it's not 1964, perhaps just ask your tenant if they are smoking pot in the hallway.

I think you'll have a better outcome just asking them to take it outside since there is no smoking of any kind in the units or common areas.

I know plenty of pot smokers, most of them (haha) are not criminals. It's 2019, it doesn't hold a stigma much these days.

I'd be more upset if there was a tenant trashing a unit or causing bug issue or causing maintenance issues. This seems like an adult conversation over Doritos may work better for everyone long term, especially if they're good tenants who pay on time.

Seems like much ado about nothing.
Or if you prefer, a Nothing Burger. Take it outside.
Are they hosting a Shel Silverstein Smoke Off?

If so I warn you.

Beware of being the roller, when there's nothing left to roll.  ;>)

@Wesley W. FYI- This situation may actually matter to great responsible tenants who pay their rent on time. My name is Marijuana and even I once moved from a duplex building WITHOUT a shared hallway because the other tenant was a weed smoker and the landlord was aware of it.

If you are the only one complaining, fix the smoke detector, call it a day. Of course I am Cali and many apt hallways have a hint of weed on a Friday night. Years ago Vegas wanted to drug test their black jack dealers. 80% tested positive for weed, they quickly bailed the drug testing for weed idea. 

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here