Votes
David W Haas
  • Santa Clarita, CA
Votes |
College students renting home.

David W Haas
  • Santa Clarita, CA
Posted Nov 15 2019, 02:01

My son and his roommates wanted to rent out a home off campus at SDSU. There are 10 of them, 8 have signed contracts without any deposit $$ payed yet, the other 2 bailed. My questions is are the 8 who signed agreements obligated, or can they get out of it. Thanks for any feedback!

User Stats

Votes
Jon Reed
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Springfield, MO
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Springfield, MO
Replied Nov 15 2019, 08:14

It all depends on the lease details.

Is it a single lease with all 10 of their names on it or is it 10 separate leases?

User Stats

Votes
David W Haas
  • Santa Clarita, CA
Votes |
  • Santa Clarita, CA
Replied Nov 15 2019, 08:25

It's one single lease with all 8 names, 2 bailed before signing. 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Sue K.
  • San Jose, CA
Votes |
  • San Jose, CA
Replied Nov 25 2019, 15:48
Originally posted by @David W Haas:

My son and his roommates wanted to rent out a home off campus at SDSU. There are 10 of them, 8 have signed contracts without any deposit $$ payed yet, the other 2 bailed. My questions is are the 8 who signed agreements obligated, or can they get out of it. Thanks for any feedback!

What would you like to accomplish here?  Would you like to nix the deal?  If they haven't moved in yet, you could back out of the lease without any penalty, unless the landlord can prove out of pocket losses.

In CA, this is a duty to mitigate state.  That means a landlord is required to mitigate the losses of a tenant.  And to charge anyone on that lease, they would have to prove they actually lost money because of the lease being nixed.  

There are other scenarios, but I really need to know what you want to accomplish, in order to give you the best advice I can.

User Stats

Votes
David W Haas
  • Santa Clarita, CA
Votes |
  • Santa Clarita, CA
Replied Nov 25 2019, 17:34

Thank you for your reply. They were able to get out of the lease altogether without any penalties!