What would you want as a client gift from your PM?

11 Replies

Our company is going to send out a small client gift around the holidays as a way to say thank you. Open to ideas of what people would be happy to get from their property management company? Only thing I can think of are gift cards. I don't want to send anything that would just get thrown in the trash. 

Hi Peter,

little gift of quality brand name hard candy (not candy canes) would be nice. Something not too big, such as could be put on the corner of desk and shared with others.

Good Luck!

Cash card or gift card to grocery your tenants use. 

Ooops miss read.  As an owner i would not want candy. I would love a discount :) or maybe a free service. 

Originally posted by @Mary M. :

Ooops miss read.  As an owner i would not want candy. I would love a discount :) or maybe a free service. 

Haha I thought about that. Rather have the write off. 

@Peter T. . The write off is 1/3 (ish depending on your tax rate) of $$ spent. While you may not be able to write off a service discount, consider how much value such a discount would provide. 

@Peter T.

Personally, a gift wouldn’t be something I’d look for, want, expect. I’d rather my PM give good service all year long. That’s a gift in itself.

My insurance agent sent a tower package.  It had a box of cookies, chocolates, white chocolate covered pretzels, nuts, and the smallest box was hard candy.  Kids liked it and with all the assortment they had a good variety of snacks.  

A contractor gave us a box of fruit, pears, oranges and grapefruit.  I liked that!

Both were mailed to us from the company they ordered from.

@Matt M. I Agree with Matt.

I usually do a small move-in gift of essentials (paper towel roll, toilet paper), and then “gift” air filters every so often and a Happy Birthday text and check in.

I believe @brandonTurner and @David Greene talked about gift cards with one of their guests on one of the BP podcasts and started doing it, but eventually stopped because they didn’t see any appreciation or impact from it.

I’d say keep your money and if you feel grateful for good tenants, just call, text or send them a hand written note saying so.

Originally posted by @Peter T. :
Originally posted by @Mary Mitchell:

Haha I thought about that. Rather have the write off. 

Why? It works out the same on your taxes. Expenses reduce income, and so do discounts. Spending $100 on a gift or giving a $100 discount have exactly the same effect on your income. 

The real estate agent who I worked with to buy an owner-contract condo many moons ago, always sent her previous clients a poinsettia plant and a nice card.  I always thought it was nice.  I hired her to sell the condo when I decided to sell, too.

I'm in the camp of a discount or the like. I don't need more candy, chocolates, coffee mugs etc... those are all given away.