Bought a property in Dogtown, Need advice on marketing.

3 Replies

I have purchased a property in Dogtown 5 min from Washu, on dale ave. I had advertised it on Craigslist. I was in an impression that it will be easy to rent via Craigslist. How ever I have not receive any response. Anyone who is investing in Dogtown, Would like to share his/Her two cents? Thank you. 

I am not familiar with your area, but, in general December is always very slow, especially from December 15th until the first week of January.

Many are visiting family, traveling and celebrating the 2 largest holidays of the year, Christmas and New Years.

Also, depending on your specific region it is raining and/or snowing enough to make it an extra pain to move. Also, it is the middle of the school year, so families would be moving their kids to a new school mid year or college young adults are concentrating on finals for the semester and dont have time to make a move.

Also, try Zillow Rental Manager...will post your listing on HotPads and Trulia, FREE and are more productive than Craigslist(at least for Los Angeles), in my opinion.

I agree with @Isaac S. and just want to add one more thing. Check your market value, you may be asking too much for what you have. If I do not have any responses from an ad after 1 week then I review everything currently for rent in the surrounding area and see if my rent is fare. If two more weeks past and I still have zero leads then I will start seeing if there are any extra perks I can add to the deal to make it more appeal or if the quality of my rental doesn't match what the area is wanting.

Originally posted by @Jon Reed :

I agree with @Isaac S. and just want to add one more thing. Check your market value, you may be asking too much for what you have. If I do not have any responses from an ad after 1 week then I review everything currently for rent in the surrounding area and see if my rent is fare. If two more weeks past and I still have zero leads then I will start seeing if there are any extra perks I can add to the deal to make it more appeal or if the quality of my rental doesn't match what the area is wanting.

Yep, Jon is right, I forgot the most important one....are you priced correctly...also, those HotPad and Trulia apps are great for easily checking the competition on a map with better filters than are available on Craigslist.