why is it so difficult to get rid of Bad tenants in New york?

5 Replies

Tenant has not paid rent since August 2019, her lease is also up as of Feb 2020 and she was sent a 60 day notices by   the attorney that her lease is not being renewed, she still refuses to move, i found out that she has done this at two previous addresses, and she was recently arrested for criminal possession of forged documents, how do get rid of this tenant? this is in new york

Originally posted by @J DADD :

Tenant has not paid rent since August 2019, her lease is also up as of Feb 2020 and she was sent a 60 day notices by   the attorney that her lease is not being renewed, she still refuses to move, i found out that she has done this at two previous addresses, and she was recently arrested for criminal possession of forged documents, how do get rid of this tenant? this is in new york

File an eviction for non payment of rent.

@J DADD

I hate to recommend it because I know it’s not fair and people like that shouldn’t be rewarded for their bad behavior.. If I was in your shoes I would consider cash for keys give her an incentive if she leaves by a certain day.. Learn from this experience and move on

@J DADD ,

NYC is an entity unto itself when it comes to L/T case resolutions.  

After 30 years in NYC as a broker/investor, I can tell you that if a tenant is professional and uses all the excuses the court permits, a landlord could be looking at YEARS, not months, before they can get the tenant out.

IMHO, the City does not want any more homeless folks or people going onto the City's already stretched subsidized-housing roles.  Add to that serious rent control laws and you have a recipe for the courts sheltering the poor, abused tenant from the mean, greedy slumlord that all owners are.  

Forget about your mortgage payments, RE taxes, insurance, maintenance, and other expenses; remember, in the eyes of the court, your first and most important responsibility is to the TENANT you are subsidizing (try and cashflow property in NYC--it just ain't happening!)

Remember this:  the more any government gets involved in the business of rentals, the worse the situation becomes.  That's the fact, Jack.

PS:  That's one big reason I invest in PA!