New York is too expensive and l'm looking at other states

25 Replies

I want to leave NY, and I'm looking into other states. My plan is to find another teaching job, and buy a duplex or a triplex and house hack. I'm tryin to look for a pro landlord state, and I'm not sure if North and South Carolina are a pro landlord state. Also, I was looking into Virginia Beach to see if it is a pro landlord state.

Thanks for your help,

Greg

@Gregory Craig Virginia is a relatively good state for landlords. I live about 30 minutes from VB and there’s a lot of potential in the area! @Patti Robertson is a great point of contact for anything related to the rental market. Feel free to ask me any specific questions you have as well!

I live in Manhattan but invest upstate 

New York in B and c areas 

I always get 2% rent - it is very 

affordable and they are nice family 

neighborhoods

Originally posted by @Gregory Craig :

I want to leave NY, and I'm looking into other states. My plan is to find another teaching job, and buy a duplex or a triplex and house hack. I'm tryin to look for a pro landlord state, and I'm not sure if North and South Carolina are a pro landlord state. Also, I was looking into Virginia Beach to see if it is a pro landlord state.

Thanks for your help,

Greg

I've looked into Norfolk, VA as a place to invest in. I've heard it's a big spot for millennials. It's also next to VA Beach.

Consider North West Indiana also. Decent house price, decent rent, lower tax and landlord friendly laws.

Originally posted by @Gregory Craig :

I want to leave NY, and I'm looking into other states.  My plan is to find another teaching job, and buy a duplex or a triplex and house hack.  I'm tryin to look for a pro landlord state, and I'm not sure if North and South Carolina are a pro landlord state.  Also, I was looking into Virginia Beach to see if it is a pro landlord state.

Thanks for your help,

Greg

Simple rule of thumb to use to answer your question.... if it's Red it's pro landlord. If it's Blue it's pro tenant.

Yes but that’s only 15 20 % of Sullivan county population, mostly in
Monticello. 

Everything in SC is on fire right now. 
still , I don’t buy in Monticello because it’s too hard to find good tenants.