Real Estate Broker · Dallas, TX · Member since 2016 · 248 posts · 240 votes
Hey guys! So My buddy and I were talking yesterday about the corona drama and our rentals. We were talking worst case scenario. He was telling me that he doesn't make much from his 3 rental properties (3 SFH) and that he needed more cashflow. He asked me how would I create more. Uhhhh
Anyway, he said that if I remember in 2008-2010ish the banks stopped lending so if he needs to borrow something the time is now!
I told him that I would drop it into the community and see if anyone had ideas. Here is the situation:
He has a wife and a one year old
Sales job 100% commission, (car or RV sales or something. Really slow right now)
She doesn’t work
They have a paid off 200k home
3 single family houses about 200k each, 50% paid off each (2 strong tenants work in the medical field)
$300 cashflow each house per month after all is paid
How would you create more cash in these uncertain times before it gets too bad?
This may help out other people too! Open to all suggestions.
Lender · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
6y
The reason bank loans became much tougher to obtain last time around, was because there were a ton of new regulations and the creation of the CFPB. Not only were there new compliance costs and stricter rules placed on lenders, but there was also a ton of uncertainty about what lenders were actually allowed to do. Lenders were accused of making "predatory loans", and there were new laws punishing "predatory loans", but the CFPB didn't even define the term "predatory loans" for a couple of years. Many banks were scared to make loans, because they didn't know what was allowed. These new rules and restrictions were in response to structural flaws in the mortgage industry. We don't have those issues this time around, so there is no real reason to believe bank loans will become as scarce.
Real Estate Broker · Dallas, TX · Member since 2016 · 248 posts · 240 votes
6y
@Cameron Tope I hear ya man. I think he's in a decent position in with his cash and credit. I told him that a guy like him will be fine. I worry about others waaaay more!
Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
6y
They could consider a HELOC on their primary home. Get it while rates are low, hold onto it and see how things play out. If the market tanks, it will be nice to have some cash on hand to scoop up deals. If the market remains strong, he doesn't have to spend it and it won't cost him anything to keep it.
Lender · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
6y
The reason bank loans became much tougher to obtain last time around, was because there were a ton of new regulations and the creation of the CFPB. Not only were there new compliance costs and stricter rules placed on lenders, but there was also a ton of uncertainty about what lenders were actually allowed to do. Lenders were accused of making "predatory loans", and there were new laws punishing "predatory loans", but the CFPB didn't even define the term "predatory loans" for a couple of years. Many banks were scared to make loans, because they didn't know what was allowed. These new rules and restrictions were in response to structural flaws in the mortgage industry. We don't have those issues this time around, so there is no real reason to believe bank loans will become as scarce.
Real Estate Broker · Dallas, TX · Member since 2016 · 248 posts · 240 votes
6y
@Joseph Cacciapaglia Great explanation Joseph! That makes me feel a lot better! Did you hear that rates are rising right now? What's up with that? Too much demand?
@Joseph Cacciapaglia Great explanation Joseph! That makes me feel a lot better! Did you hear that rates are rising right now? What's up with that? Too much demand?
I'm certainly not an expert on mortgage rates, but I know they're determined by supply and demand in the bond market. It's my understanding that with all the recent refinance requests, there wasn't enough liquidity in the bond market handle the demand, and therefore rates spiked. This also makes me realize that my initial answer is only part of the story from last time. All the regulations and the CFPB really just prolonged the lending difficulties. The initial problems started in the bond market, but were caused in large part by regulators constantly referring to mortgage backed securities as "toxic assets". This was so widespread, that it caused panic among bond investors. It turned out that a lot of those mortgage backed assets were fine. Don't get me wrong, plenty were not, but it wasn't as bad as the talking heads led everyone to believe. It was difficult to tell which bonds were backed by decent loans and which weren't, so the buyers disappeared for all of them.
The truly toxic assets were backed by NINJA loans and loans with teaser rates that couldn't be refinanced. There aren't many of these in the market today, which means bond buyers shouldn't have the same cause for concern. Just to make it clear how ridiculous things were last time around... I knew investors buying with up to 107% LTV loans, with no income verification, and not verifiable assets. I personally received cash at closing when I bought my first investment property in 2005. Lending was truly ridiculous at that point in time, and of course many of those loans were going to default (luckily I didn't have to). We are in a fundamentally different mortgage market today, so it's hard to believe we'll run into the same problems. Will it get a little tougher to qualify? Maybe, but I'll be shocked if it's anything close to last time.
Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2013 · 32 posts · 16 votes
6y
Hi Rob,
I don't know your friend's long-term goals so I'm coming only from a short-term perspective for the now. If he can't refinance for lower rates or payments, here are 2 ideas on how to increase his cash flow.
- He can offer a lease option to his tenants where they pay a little bit extra more and he can work something out with them including a downpayment toward the purchase price. If they don't execute in x amount of time then they will lose their deposit or will have to renew until they can get financing.
The second idea for a longer-term: if they can't qualify for a loan he can do a wrap-around mortgage with his. Tenants will have to pay a little bit extra but they will become homeowners. Of course, your friend wants to talk to a lawyer since there are new guidelines in wrap around and Dog Franks laws that might impact those creative finance.
@Joseph Cacciapaglia Great explanation Joseph! That makes me feel a lot better! Did you hear that rates are rising right now? What's up with that? Too much demand?
I'm certainly not an expert on mortgage rates, but I know they're determined by supply and demand in the bond market. It's my understanding that with all the recent refinance requests, there wasn't enough liquidity in the bond market handle the demand, and therefore rates spiked. This also makes me realize that my initial answer is only part of the story from last time. All the regulations and the CFPB really just prolonged the lending difficulties. The initial problems started in the bond market, but were caused in large part by regulators constantly referring to mortgage backed securities as "toxic assets". This was so widespread, that it caused panic among bond investors. It turned out that a lot of those mortgage backed assets were fine. Don't get me wrong, plenty were not, but it wasn't as bad as the talking heads led everyone to believe. It was difficult to tell which bonds were backed by decent loans and which weren't, so the buyers disappeared for all of them.
The truly toxic assets were backed by NINJA loans and loans with teaser rates that couldn't be refinanced. There aren't many of these in the market today, which means bond buyers shouldn't have the same cause for concern. Just to make it clear how ridiculous things were last time around... I knew investors buying with up to 107% LTV loans, with no income verification, and not verifiable assets. I personally received cash at closing when I bought my first investment property in 2005. Lending was truly ridiculous at that point in time, and of course many of those loans were going to default (luckily I didn't have to). We are in a fundamentally different mortgage market today, so it's hard to believe we'll run into the same problems. Will it get a little tougher to qualify? Maybe, but I'll be shocked if it's anything close to last time.
Or in other words, Rob, it's not 2008. The difference is that in 2008, internal forces tore apart a rotted-out, unsustainable system. In 2019, we have a far more robust and sustainable system under external, temporary duress. We have a President who, setting aside his faults, is not dedicated to tearing apart and rebuilding American mortgaging from the ground up. Should he prove unsuccessful in retaining his place in the White House, we have a presumptive nominee of the other party who is similarly not hostile to banking in this country, to the point where he was once very well known as "The Senator From MBNA" for his support of pro-banking measures.
In 2008, half the strippers in this country were flippers and LLs on the side. I have yet to meet a stripper running a string of ghetto BRRRRs on this site. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure some survived and are great at the property game, but it is categorically a different, saner time in American real estate today, a fact that this website and the company behind it have played a significant role in.
So the banks aren't going to stop lending. Encouraging lending is very obviously an extremely high priority for this President, as it is for his main rival.
Just pray that the coronavirus doesn't off both of 'em. I know I do.
Real Estate Agent · Murfreesboro, TN · Member since 2019 · 194 posts · 181 votes
6y
@Joseph Cacciapaglia
One of the primary issues that seems to be overlooked right now is the collapse of dollar value. The government is stealing from us and whoever they borrowed from and are funding "stimulus" with printed money. When other countries wisen up and realize we cant repay the debts and our best decision as a country is to default and start over, the value of the bonds won't be good. Hell right now you lose money to invest in bonds, people investing in money losing bonds are doing it because their outlook is very bleak for the future of the currency and thus the gauranteed bond loss is still less than holding the currency and inflationary pressure over time.
Bad dollar value, means no bonds purchases which is how we in theory acquire money to loan. The main purchasers of our bonds at the moment is us. How long can you sell 10 dollar bills for 9$?
Investor · Midwest · Member since 2019 · 338 posts · 226 votes
6y
@Rob Lee I agree with Nathan G with one small adjustment. I'd take the HELOC on one of the rentals instead of my primary or re-fi one of them to have the cash on hand.
He'll incur the interest (tenants will pay for it), but if he needs it it's available.