Charging Pet fees after signing lease agreement

Charging Pet fees after signing lease agreement

Rental Property Investor 路 Mountain View, CA 路 Member since 2020 路 8 posts 路 3 votes

Hello fellow Landlords,

Good evening. I'm a new landlord and rented my property 3 days ago. This is my first rental. My property is in San Jose, CA. My property is a townhome with a hardwood floor. The tenants and me signed the lease agreement already. The tenants have paid me the security deposit. I said ok to small pets. I didn't tell them about pet fees and security deposits. The tenants are planning (considering) to foster a pet (dog or 馃悎) now. They asked me about the rules like renters insurance with liabilities etc. Since I'm new to this, I went through BP forums to learn about the pet policy and allowing foster pets. Along the way, I learnt that I can charge a monthly premium for a pet and a refundable pet security deposit.

I need your advice on the following:

1. Is there anything I should be careful about foster pet.

2. Can I charge a monthly premium and security deposit after signing the lease agreement?

3. Should I add anything specific in their renters insurance policy ?

4. I can add a pet addendum to my original lease agreement. Should I be any specific in that document?

Thank you for ur help and inputs.

0Reply
34 views

Most Popular Reply

Kenneth GarrettPro Member
Investor 路 Florida Panhandle/Illinois 路 Member since 2016 路 4k+ posts 路 3k+ votes
6y

@Prabhu Babu

If the tenant agrees to the pet fee you are good. It's after the fact. Some insurance carriers restrict certain dogs. Check your policy. I charge a pet fee of $250 per pet plus $35 per month, check state and local laws. Add this to your lease for the future. Make sure you have rules written for the tenant to follow. Your in a townhome you don't want an excessive barking dog. Check the HOA rules. Cats have minimal issues unless they start urinating outside the liter box. There urine is horrible and saturates subflooring where you will need special remediation if it's bad. Just a FYI, normally not a problem.

See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor 路 North Palm Beach, FL 路 Member since 2018 路 2k+ posts 路 1k+ votes
    6y

    @Prabhu Babu

    First off, I would require them to get a renters/pet insurance policy. If you are able to charge a monthly pet fee I would; not sure if you will be able to. In regards to the deposit; possibly make the deposit lower and nonrefundable? Also difficult to do at this point. Create a short addendum and see if they will agree or not.

  • Austin, TX 路 Member since 2019 路 5k+ posts 路 5k+ votes
    6y

    There are no Pit Cats, only Pet Cats.

    Cats don't bark all day while the tenant is at work.

    Cats bury their "Business" either outdoors or in a liter box.

    Cats don't scratch and gouge doors wanting to get out.

    Repair workers (and you) are not afraid of going into units with cats (unless maybe it's a lion).

    I think cats make good tenants (quiet and get along with others), dogs have more downsides to them.

    Just my 2 cents.

  • Rental Property Investor 路 Mountain View, CA 路 Member since 2020 路 8 posts 路 3 votes
    6y

    thx @Charles Carillo and @Scott Mac for your responses. I'll update this thread on how it goes.

  • Kenneth GarrettPro Member
    Investor 路 Florida Panhandle/Illinois 路 Member since 2016 路 4k+ posts 路 3k+ votes
    6y

    @Prabhu Babu

    If the tenant agrees to the pet fee you are good. It's after the fact. Some insurance carriers restrict certain dogs. Check your policy. I charge a pet fee of $250 per pet plus $35 per month, check state and local laws. Add this to your lease for the future. Make sure you have rules written for the tenant to follow. Your in a townhome you don't want an excessive barking dog. Check the HOA rules. Cats have minimal issues unless they start urinating outside the liter box. There urine is horrible and saturates subflooring where you will need special remediation if it's bad. Just a FYI, normally not a problem.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.