Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
General Landlording & Rental Properties
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Jeremy Segermeister
  • San Jose, CA
Votes |
Mortgage Forbearance Impacting Credit Score?

Jeremy Segermeister
  • San Jose, CA
Posted Apr 28 2020, 16:04

Hi All,

I still can't seem to get a clear answer on exactly how loan forbearance will impact credit reports (not scores). I understand it will not impact my score, however, banks will see that I am in forbearance (which has a negative connotation)

Here is my situation - I have my primary loan with Wells Fargo, an investment property with freedom mortgage, and I just closed on a lot loan with US Bank. My investment property is in Hawaii and unfortunately sitting 100% empty now. I am going to convert my lot loan into a construction to perm in a few months to build a house, likely with US Bank. 

While I *can* make all three payments, it will be painful until COVID restrictions are relaxed and I start getting income from my investment property. I put all three of my loans in forbearance recently, under the guidance that there will be no impact to my report. This sounded like a great option to help me sleep at night. 

I just got off the phone with a loan officer at US Bank and he said that forbearance will be marked on my account, which is perceived as a negative when applying for the construction loan. They also have a policy that prevents refinancing within 15 months of a forbearance which would prevent me from getting a construction loan with them.

This was a huge shock to me. He said I should immediately call US Bank and get them to cancel the forebearance (my next payment isn't due for another few weeks). Is he correct on this? Should I remove it on just my lot loan? Or all three?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Loading replies...