• Spokane, WA
Votes |
Finding Good Help with Property Upkeep

Manco Snead
  • Investor
  • Spokane, WA
Posted Aug 10 2020, 18:59

Hello good people,

I know I am revisiting a common topic here, but would appreciate any feedback. I have a rental property (duplex) out of my area so have a property manager (family friend w/ experience of managing her own property) The big advantage with her is that I trust her completely and she cares. But she does not yet have a time tested list of reliable help. So, after years of owning this property I am realizing I still struggle with finding good help; landscapers, contractors, handymen etc.

How do others approach finding knowledgeable and reliable help? What systems have you used to reduce the risk of hiring the wrong people?

Any advice, stories, anecdotes are much appreciated.

Stay safe and thanks.

User Stats

Votes
Joe P.
  • Philadelphia, PA
Votes |
  • Philadelphia, PA
Replied Aug 10 2020, 19:03

One of the many problems with real estate investing out of state -- you trust your PM, but your PM is everything in OOS investing (at least in my humble opinion), and yet, she isn't able to provide everything for you.

What I would do in these cases is attend virtual and in-person meetups, as there is always a contractor or tradesperson who wants to make a name for themselves, or other investors who want to share those contractor/tradespeople who do good work. Nothing beats a referral.

I'd look to see if you can attend a local meetup virtually and pose your question to the group. I love being able to share trusted contacts with folks, perhaps someone can put you onto someone or multiple folks who can assist.

Or, scour Yelp and other sites to see if a name comes up. I've used Thumbtack a few times for smaller jobs (landscaping, tree removal, etc.) with certain degrees of success.

User Stats

Votes
Manco Snead
  • Investor
  • Spokane, WA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Spokane, WA
Replied Aug 11 2020, 08:49

@Joe P.  Much thanks. Will implement your suggestions.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Matt Lewis
  • Contractor
  • Seattle, WA
Votes |
  • Contractor
  • Seattle, WA
Replied Aug 12 2020, 06:35

@Jesse Stein - I’m a General Contractor in Seattle. Even with years of experience and relationships I still struggle with finding good help especially at the drop of a hat. Usually the better they are the busier they are.

See if there is anyone on Thumbtack.com in that area. They have customer reviews and you can chat with the contractor right on the app.

Good Luck!

User Stats

Votes
Manco Snead
  • Investor
  • Spokane, WA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Spokane, WA
Replied Aug 12 2020, 08:38

@Matt Lewis Much thanks; good advice. Will check out Thumbtack.