Preventing Exterior Water Spigot/Hydrant from Freezing in rental?

Preventing Exterior Water Spigot/Hydrant from Freezing in rental?

DC 路 Member since 2019 路 20 posts 路 2 votes

I have 3 rentals that are finishing the final rehab before being rented. They are in northern IN where it can get down to 0 F in the coldest winter nights (and possibly even lower). 

They all have exterior spigots/hydrants that are operational and I'm concerned about them freezing in the winter. 

What are others doing to prevent them from freezing? Do the "anti-freeze" hydrants work? Like this: https://www.menards.com/main/p...

Or should I install shutoff valves in the basements and pay my Property MGMT to shut these off each year?

Thanks so much in advance!

0Reply
22 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor | Syndicator | Instructor 路 Cincinnati, OH 路 Member since 2008 路 435 posts 路 198 votes
5y

@Bobby Balow I live in Cincinnati so I have the same issue. I've done both for all spigot and have never had an issue. If you have to chose one, do the spigot upgrade.

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Pomona, NY 路 Member since 2016 路 375 posts 路 217 votes
    5y

    @Bobby Balow put a ball valve shutoff inside, also use frost free spigots

  • Pomona, NY 路 Member since 2016 路 375 posts 路 217 votes
    5y

    @Michael Gessner I say both so if a tenant doesnt shut it off u have an extra barrier of protection

  • DC 路 Member since 2019 路 20 posts 路 2 votes
    5y

    Thanks for sharing your thoughts @Michael Gessner 馃檪

  • Investor | Syndicator | Instructor 路 Cincinnati, OH 路 Member since 2008 路 435 posts 路 198 votes
    5y

    @Bobby Balow I live in Cincinnati so I have the same issue. I've done both for all spigot and have never had an issue. If you have to chose one, do the spigot upgrade.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.