Votes
Michael Miller
  • New York
Votes |
Drug Use by Other Tenants; Used Syringes Discarded in Common Area

Michael Miller
  • New York
Posted Nov 20 2020, 12:59

I own a condo in a gentrifying neighborhood that has taken an ugly turn due to Covid and a high-profile police brutality case nearby (think BLM). I have excellent tenants in a complex of 12 units. It appears there's another tenant selling drugs, and as a result junkies come and go from the property and use drugs in the common areas. There are used syringes and condoms in the hallways and stairwells. We're working on getting who we suspect is the problem tenant out but it's challenging in the eviction moratorium environment without catching them dead-to-rights selling drugs. We don't have a doorman and owners are reluctant to shell out for security. The police precinct nearby was destroyed during a protest and it is challenging to get the cops to come if there isn't a crime in progress. My tenant sends me pictures of used needles in the hallway and short of working toward improving security and removing problem tenants, which are not quick or inexpensive processes, I'm at a loss. Any advice? 

Loading replies...