Background check tools

Most Popular Reply

Member since 2019 · 19 posts · 33 votes
5y

Hi @Eli M. !

BiggerPockets has a landlord resources tab. You can find the landlord resources tab by hovering over the "tools" bar and clicking "Landlord Resources". Some of the companies on the resources page offer free forms and other resources for landlords.

On that same Landlord Resources page there is a list of recommended companies for tenant screening. I would recommend doing your research and picking the company that best fits your screening needs.

Best of luck! :)

See this reply in the discussion

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Will FraserPro Member
    Real Estate Broker · Salt Lake City & Oklahoma City · Member since 2018 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    5y

    HI @Eli M., I've used Zillow's Rental Manager (and their built-in background check), Hemlane, and TransUnion Smart  and have found Hemlane's reports to be the most useful.  Zillow's background check is a bit binary, which gets the job done, but leaves a bit to be desired.  Tranunion's background check portion works, well too, so I'd not hesitate to use it again.

  • Stephen J DavisBusiness Member
    Rental Property Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2017 · 529 posts · 467 votes
    5y

    I use www.tenanttracker.com for credit and criminal reports.

  • New to Real Estate · Member since 2019 · 5 posts · 2 votes
    5y

    Does an eviction show up on a background check?

  • Member since 2019 · 19 posts · 33 votes
    5y

    Hi @Eli M. !

    BiggerPockets has a landlord resources tab. You can find the landlord resources tab by hovering over the "tools" bar and clicking "Landlord Resources". Some of the companies on the resources page offer free forms and other resources for landlords.

    On that same Landlord Resources page there is a list of recommended companies for tenant screening. I would recommend doing your research and picking the company that best fits your screening needs.

    Best of luck! :)

  • Realtor · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2015 · 65 posts · 48 votes
    5y

    I've only used cozy so can't speak to other options but the tenant pays them and it's returned quickly to you for viewing. 

  • Investor · Fontana, CA · Member since 2020 · 128 posts · 94 votes
    5y

    Tellus. Free background/criminal checks, convenient banking rental collection via bank to bank, lots of reports for revenue/expenses categorized according to IRS rules, etc.

  • Denver, CO · Member since 2020 · 112 posts · 95 votes
    5y

    I post my rentals on Zillow. It lists them through a couple sites and also offers background check options. The applicants pay a flat fee for a background check and credit report(good for 30 days so they can use them on multiple listings). They also have an option to collect rent as well I believe but I opt to use Venmo.

  • Investor · USA · Member since 2015 · 325 posts · 447 votes
    5y

    @Eli M.

    I use Cozy and Zillow. I have looked through a lot of credit and background checks through both. Personally I prefer Cozy. They break down each account and the payment history associated with each account. It makes it really easy to see what is going on with someone’s background and history.

    A tip from cozy: if the background check does not come back instantly it means that there is something negative on there. I have almost rented to someone before it came back thinking it was a glitch.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.