Apartment consistently has water issues (Los Angeles County)

Apartment consistently has water issues (Los Angeles County)

Member since 2020 · 3 posts · 0 votes

Hi, i am reaching my wits end with the aparmemt complex I have been living in since 2014. I guess after not having hot water for 3 days in a row will do that to you. Now I am not kind of tenant that likes to cause problems I usually just accept that it's part of apartment living. However, I still have no hot water after 3 days. 

Yesterday, they turned it off for hours with no notice they were going to shut it off. This shutting our water off with no advanced notice happens on a fairly consistent basis. It seems like almost every month or every other month there is a water issue and they shut it off. Sometimes they text us way after the fact they shut our water off and are working on it but this last message just really frustrates me and I have had enough!

The text messages:

12/4/2020

Good Morning All,

The Office will be close Today 12/04/20. For any maintenance request please call...

Hello,

The Gas Company turned of the gas and this cause for the hot water to be turned off. Maintenance is already checking the water heater to have the hot water turn on.

12/5/2020

Hello,
Maintenance is working on getting the hot water back on, at this time we do not know when it will be restored and maintenance needs to repair the water heater. We apologize for the inconvenince.

___________

So the leasing office has been closed since 12/4 to avoid us residents there are 200+ units here. I dont know what to do but after 3 days of no hot water and I'm paying $1500/mo never been late. So what are my legal options i can take if any? This is getting ridiculous.


This is in Whittier, California.

0Reply
11 views

Most Popular Reply

Austin, TX · Member since 2019 · 5k+ posts · 5k+ votes
5y

Hi Ronald,

Legal options, when what you want is a consistent supply of hot water (???)

A better option might be to move when the lease is up.

There are tons of great apartments in Whittier. 

Phone around and ask how much they rent for, and ask if they have this kind of water issue.

Also ask about amenities. Some places have dog walks, gyms, etc....

Now for the real logic behind what I'm saying.

Jack rented a low priced place, and it has problems, that is why the rent is so low.

If that applies to you, you may find that to get something better you have to pay a little more (OR MAYBE NOT).

Here's a link that may help you out: https://www.apartments.com/whittier-ca/?so=1

Good Luck!

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Austin, TX · Member since 2019 · 5k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    5y

    Hi Ronald,

    Legal options, when what you want is a consistent supply of hot water (???)

    A better option might be to move when the lease is up.

    There are tons of great apartments in Whittier. 

    Phone around and ask how much they rent for, and ask if they have this kind of water issue.

    Also ask about amenities. Some places have dog walks, gyms, etc....

    Now for the real logic behind what I'm saying.

    Jack rented a low priced place, and it has problems, that is why the rent is so low.

    If that applies to you, you may find that to get something better you have to pay a little more (OR MAYBE NOT).

    Here's a link that may help you out: https://www.apartments.com/whittier-ca/?so=1

    Good Luck!

  • Member since 2020 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    5y

    $1500 for a 1 bedroom apartment is not cheap by any means so I don't know why you're suggesting it's a cheaper place. 

    Aren't there tenant rights in California to make a place habitable and due to not having hot water we have been unable to take a shower for 3 days I think this would qualify don't you think? 


    Or do you think it's funny to boil water pots on the stove to get hot water for a bath? I mean really?? You're saying the courts would say that's okay? Idk about that.

    I'm not asking for consistent hot water I am asking for something for the inconvenience. 50 to 100$ off the rent would be sufficient. Why should I have to pay the rent in full if there are consistent water issues due to maintenance mickey mousing the repairs. It's not just hot water they randomly shut off our water with no warning at times to fix a pipe and sometimes it's off for a few hours to a few days. You're saying that's okay? Regardless of me moving or not.

  • Investor · Huntington Beach, CA · Member since 2015 · 105 posts · 25 votes
    5y

    @Ronald Mathis it is not okay you don’t have hot water in this cold weather (even if it’s warm). I suspect the management is probably struggling to maintain with what they are receiving or gross mismanagement of the budget. Either way, it’s not good. So I do agree it’s better off moving out for this reason because if anything else goes wrong again, it’ll probably the same frustration you go through. If I were you I would have an attorney whip up a letter demanding the monetary compensation 50-100 if you think it’s reasonable while looking for a place to move to. Good luck.

  • Patrick LiskaPro Member
    Investor · Verona, NJ · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 832 votes
    5y

    Ronald,

    As suggested before me, have an Attorney write a letter and keep records of everything. It does sound like they are miss managing the property and funds, no reason given for Gas co. shutting off the gas? does not make sense unless they did not pay them. check and see if the town has a rent control board, fair housing board or some board that tenants can complain to, get the town involved in your fight.

  • Will BarnardPro Member
    Moderator
    Developer · Santa Clarita, CA · Member since 2008 · 15k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    5y

    Get the other tenants involved in your fight too! They must be as frustrated as you with this situation. A threat of loss of 10% plus of the tenants could move some rear ends in management/ownership.

  • Member since 2020 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    5y

    Nope nothing has worked so far. Talked with the owner they are working on it he apologized and that's about it. When I asked about if there would be some sort of rent reduction he said he doesn't know as he has to give each resident effected a rent reduction and it doesn't sound like he wanted to. I guess this is just a wait and see.

    Anyways, I have contacted several attorneys and none have returned my messages. Doesn't seem like anyone cares at this point and today marks 1 week without hot water.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.