• Rental Property Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Networking w/ TX & FL Investors

Robert Matelski
  • Austin, TX
Posted Jan 4 2021, 08:02

Greetings and Happy New Year, fellow Bigger Pockets members! I am looking to network with anyone in the residential real estate investing food chain throughout Texas and Florida, and would be especially delighted to connect with folks who have personal experience investing in either (or both) of these states. I live in the San Francisco Bay Area, and currently own properties both here and in the greater Cleveland area, so while I am new to these markets I am not new to investing. 

My 2021 plan is to expand into one or more additional markets, focusing on SFRs or potentially small multi-family properties (2-4 units), as buy and hold investments for the long haul. I find TX and FL appealing based on long-term continued growth potential AND the lack of state income tax (I know, I know, as a Californian I am still subject to paying CA state income tax on income derived from tax-free states... but I honestly cannot imagine myself being here forever the way our taxes keep going).

Some of the cities I have been scoping out for strong cash flow potential include Jacksonville, Tallahassee, Abilene, and Wichita Falls, plus a bunch of 'small country town' type places in Texas (e.g., Brownwood). Certainly open to others as well... the year is young and I plan to spend the first sliver of it really getting to know these markets pretty well; I welcome any input anyone may have on these cities or suggestions of others to explore.

(Side note... if you happen to be interested in exploring Cleveland as a market to invest in, feel free to inbox me regarding that topic too, as that's my bread-and-butter market and I have a ton of insight to share.)

Thanks in advance for any tips/info/advice/connections!

User Stats

Votes
Kyle Jones
  • Abilene, TX
Votes |
  • Abilene, TX
Replied Jan 4 2021, 08:37

Hey, I am in Abilene, a pretty young (experience wise) investor, but I'd be happy to answer questions about Abilene that I can! 

User Stats

Votes
Dan Maciejewski
  • Realtor
  • PInellas County Largo, FL
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • PInellas County Largo, FL
Replied Jan 4 2021, 08:51

From what I have seen Jacksonville has great returns as the prices aren't crazy, but it's still a beach town.  

There is plenty of opportunity here in Pinellas County.  We are seeing great appreciation in sales prices as well as rents.  And we continue to have net positive growth while other metros are losing residents.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Shirley Wen
  • San Francisco Bay Area
Votes |
  • San Francisco Bay Area
Replied Jan 4 2021, 09:03

Hey Robert, I’m in a similar situation as you. Currently living in the Bay but interested in out of state investing. Particularly TX, AL, TN, FL. Just bought a duplex in TX recently, I’m slightly new to investing, would love to connect. 

User Stats

Votes
John Ramirez
  • Investor
  • Abilene, Fort Worth
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Abilene, Fort Worth
Replied Jan 4 2021, 09:30

I’m also investing in Abilene and about to start in Fort Worth Texas as well. 

User Stats

Votes
Tigran Kalaydzhyan
  • Investor
  • Buenos Aires, Argentina
Votes |
  • Investor
Replied Jan 6 2021, 17:56

Hi Robert. I am a real estate investor from Abilene. I share your sentiment regarding these two states. In fact, I decided to follow my investments and relocate to TX from NYC. Feel free to ask any questions about the area, as well as insights into the off-market world.

User Stats

Votes
Robert Matelski
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Austin, TX
Replied Jan 6 2021, 22:48

@Kyle Jones, @John Ramirez, very much appreciate the offer! Might be pinging you guys with questions as I dig more deeply into the Abilene market.

@Dan Maciejewski, thanks for the tip. I didn't have the Tampa area on my radar but perhaps I should check it out too.

@Shirley Wen, that's great... one of my colleagues (here in the Bay Area) recently bought a rental property in TN as well and she is having success with it so far. 

@Tigran Kalaydzhyan, you're kind of my idol then. I think only New Yorkers can come close to Californians in understanding the pain of living in an outrageous income tax locale! Have you found life in a mid-sized city palatable after living in a major global city? Are you doing real estate full-time at this point?  I'm not sure I would want to leave the W2 world just yet, even if I do relocate to TX, as I am [in theory] in the prime earning years of my career (~10 years post-MBA), so I would probably move to Austin or Dallas if I go that route.

User Stats

Votes
Tigran Kalaydzhyan
  • Investor
Votes |
  • Investor
Replied Jan 7 2021, 10:39
Originally posted by @Robert Matelski:
@Tigran Kalaydzhyan, you're kind of my idol then. I think only New Yorkers can come close to Californians in understanding the pain of living in an outrageous income tax locale! Have you found life in a mid-sized city palatable after living in a major global city? Are you doing real estate full-time at this point?  I'm not sure I would want to leave the W2 world just yet, even if I do relocate to TX, as I am [in theory] in the prime earning years of my career (~10 years post-MBA), so I would probably move to Austin or Dallas if I go that route.

Abilene is a little different from other towns of this size - it is more active. It is a combination of convenience (the most distant points within the town are separated by a 15mins drive) and a variety of things to do (you can have a look at Google maps to see the local businesses, bars, restaurants and recreation activities). It has 3 universities and a bunch of smaller colleges, a major military base, a big hospital - these are the main employers. Local airport connects you with the rest of the world - also around 15 mins from home to the gate! 

Anecdotally, in 2020, our life was more active here than in NYC, because we didn't have so many restrictions in place. I derive my income from my own business, so I don't rely on W2 salary, but I can confirm that there is a lack of high skill job positions in Abilene, which you could be interested in. People are super nice here and they have pride in what they are doing, but it can be challenging if you decide to form a circle of intellectual friends or to hire highly competent people. However, I like the peace (especially in the current chaotic environment), good weather and I also think the local population has more common sense than in CA or NY :-)

I don't do real estate full time, only when I want to grow my business - my income is mostly passive. I spend most of my time learning the markets, business and law - something I couldn't do while working full-time jobs. If you are used to (or even native to) NYC, then it probably makes sense to start from a larger city and then see if you want to downsize. In the meantime, you can invest anywhere you want, because many of the real estate participants are used to the remote showings, closings, management and even rehabs. Just make sure you vet the people beforehand.

User Stats

Votes
Lydia Bundy
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Abilene, TX
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Abilene, TX
Replied Jan 8 2021, 09:47

Before, outside interest was pretty rare, and from mostly pretty seasoned investors from Texas. Now, there are a lot of new outside investors who have no idea what they're doing -- but at least they do it enthusiastically. We're going to have a lot of competition company in the area from Californians very soon! The market here is already historically hot (prices have shot up and inventory is way down) so it'll been interesting to watch how things develop this year.

User Stats

Votes
John Williams
  • Investor
  • Tallahassee, FL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Tallahassee, FL
Replied Jan 11 2021, 11:44

Hi, I am currently investing in those cities you are interested in like Tallahassee and the Panhandle. I am statewide investor and also to other states such as GA, CO, AZ, TX, NC, SC.. etc. Feel free to connect details is on my signature.