Investing in Northwest Indiana Rental Properties

Investing in Northwest Indiana Rental Properties

Real Estate Agent · East Bay, CA · Member since 2021 · 10 posts · 6 votes

Hi BP Community!

My name is Lily and I'm a new investor from Northern California so any recommendations would be greatly appreciated! I am interested in SFR's or 2-4 unit rental properties in the Northwest Indiana area, off market would be the best. Ideally, the properties would only need light cosmetic rehab, primarily in lower crime areas with a sufficient demand for rentals, preferably C+ or above neighborhoods. My goal is cashflow, appreciation would be icing on the cake.

I'd love to connect with people who have boots on the ground and learn as much as I can while I build my team. 

Thank you so much and I look forward to meeting you all!

5Reply
109 views

Most Popular Reply

Specialist · NW Indiana · Member since 2018 · 24 posts · 9 votes
5y

I agree.  I currently own 10 properties in NW Indiana and am looking for more now as well.  I have 7 properties in Gary that are all performing nicely.  Definitely a great market to invest in rentals.

See this reply in the discussion

19 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Property Manager · Lindenhurst, IL · Member since 2016 · 854 posts · 506 votes
    5y

    I bought some off-market SFRs in Northwest Indiana. I was thinking like you, but they appreciated it quite a bit.

  • Indianapolis · Member since 2019 · 288 posts · 179 votes
    5y

    Have you tried joining local groups on social media for OOS (out-of-state) investors? You can usually get put on buyers lists and see off-market deals get posted. Great way to meet local investors and see who is doing what in your chosen market.

    Best of luck to you!!

  • Gloria N GearBusiness Member
    Realtor · Indianapolis IN · Member since 2018 · 464 posts · 339 votes
    5y

    @Adrien C. seems to be one of the best authorities for that area.  I have seen a lot of posts here on BP from him.

  • Property Manager · Griffith, IN · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 913 votes
    5y

    Hi- love NW Indiana. Lots of options up here from beat up junk to turnkeys. 

  • Member since 2021 · 2 posts · 1 vote
    5y

    @Adrien S. Specific towns?

  • Property Manager · Griffith, IN · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 913 votes
    5y

    @Eric Richards It depends on goals. We have D areas where you can get great cashflow but minimal appreciation (except this year, even those areas are going up). We have A areas where returns on paper are lower but appreciation is higher and less headaches. I've owned in each area and have my own preferences. My management company manages in each area and those owners have different desires.

  • Specialist · NW Indiana · Member since 2018 · 24 posts · 9 votes
    5y

    I agree.  I currently own 10 properties in NW Indiana and am looking for more now as well.  I have 7 properties in Gary that are all performing nicely.  Definitely a great market to invest in rentals.

  • Rental Property Investor · Wabash, IN · Member since 2021 · 18 posts · 15 votes
    5y

    @Lily Chen

    Hi Lily, I am located in North-Central Indiana, and could definitely help you by being your boots on the ground. I travel north-central Indiana every day and am excellent with market knowledge. Feel free to get back with me if you’d be interested.

  • Rental Property Investor · Gary, IN · Member since 2017 · 35 posts · 32 votes
    5y

    @Jarrod Stotmeister is a great authority to talk to if you're looking for turnkeys. I've bought 4 from him. @Adrien S. has a management company and turnkey company among other things, and I've heard nothing but good things about him and his team.

  • Rental Property Investor · Gary, IN · Member since 2017 · 35 posts · 32 votes
    5y

    @Lily Chen I have a small portfolio of rentals in NWI and looking to buy 10 more this year. Happy to chat any time. Some heavy hitters in this thread already. Definitely recommend reaching out to them. Best of luck!

  • Property Manager · Gary, IN · Member since 2015 · 66 posts · 60 votes
    5y

    Lilly.  Would love to help in any way we can 

    We have a portfolio here as well as a  construction management company. Been investing in real estate in NWI for over 20 years and I can tell you it’s one of the best markets in the country. 

  • Real Estate Agent · East Bay, CA · Member since 2021 · 10 posts · 6 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Soh Tanaka:

    I bought some off-market SFRs in Northwest Indiana. I was thinking like you, but they appreciated it quite a bit.

    Hi Soh! Glad to hear. Any particular areas you think is best for investment properties from your experience? How did you go about scouting for off-market properties? 

  • Real Estate Agent · East Bay, CA · Member since 2021 · 10 posts · 6 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Alora Glaze:

    Have you tried joining local groups on social media for OOS (out-of-state) investors? You can usually get put on buyers lists and see off-market deals get posted. Great way to meet local investors and see who is doing what in your chosen market.

    Best of luck to you!!

    That's a great idea! Thank you so much Alora!

  • Real Estate Agent · East Bay, CA · Member since 2021 · 10 posts · 6 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Adrien C.:

    Hi- love NW Indiana. Lots of options up here from beat up junk to turnkeys. 

    Hi Adrien! I would love to connect with you and learn more about the market in NW Indiana. Thanks in advance!

  • Real Estate Agent · East Bay, CA · Member since 2021 · 10 posts · 6 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Jarrod Stotmeister:

    I agree.  I currently own 10 properties in NW Indiana and am looking for more now as well.  I have 7 properties in Gary that are all performing nicely.  Definitely a great market to invest in rentals.

    Wow Jarrod, that's impressive! I'm debating between SFR or MFR. What are your recommendations?

  • Real Estate Agent · East Bay, CA · Member since 2021 · 10 posts · 6 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Caleb Teachout:

    @Lily Chen I have a small portfolio of rentals in NWI and looking to buy 10 more this year. Happy to chat any time. Some heavy hitters in this thread already. Definitely recommend reaching out to them. Best of luck!

     Hi Caleb! Would love to connect, added you.

  • Real Estate Agent · East Bay, CA · Member since 2021 · 10 posts · 6 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Tom Olson:

    Lilly.  Would love to help in any way we can 

    We have a portfolio here as well as a  construction management company. Been investing in real estate in NWI for over 20 years and I can tell you it’s one of the best markets in the country. 

    Hi Tom! Great to hear. Look forward to connecting with you. 

  • Property Manager · Lindenhurst, IL · Member since 2016 · 854 posts · 506 votes
    5y

    @Lily Chen "Best area" means different things for different people. I personally like NWI because of the availabilities of properties, cash flow, appreciation, and favorable laws. That said, I don't think I'm smart enough to predict the future, so I like to buy in different areas. 

  • Specialist · NW Indiana · Member since 2018 · 24 posts · 9 votes
    5y

    Hey, Lily. Both SFR's and Multi's can be very productive in our area. That being said, there is high demand for multis representing only 7% of dwelling units in our 6 county market. We will generally sell anywhere from 5-10 multi-units a year to our clients with the remaining being SFR's.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.