Would you tear out the paneling and stone on this house?

Would you tear out the paneling and stone on this house?

Austin, TX · Member since 2019 · 5k+ posts · 5k+ votes

Just for discussion purposes.

I picked this pic off the internet.

It looks like a lot of "Hoarder Houses" decor style.

Busy carpet, busy furniture, paneling, faux rocks on the walls, flat paint.

I can smell the cigarette smoke just looking at the picture.

But I wonder if you owned this place, as either a flip or a rental, or AirBnB, would you rip everything out and paint it all grey and modern.

Or do you think pic 2 is acceptable and cheap (quick) way to do it.

Tear it out to the studs, or just light cosmetic changes, or something completely different?

What do you think (???)

1Reply
42 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 5k+ votes
5y

I would not rent it as is. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think there is a lot of demand from renters to live in a place that looks like it is a 1970s porno set. 

If I bought that place, everything would be gone. The size of the fireplace is overwhelming and needs to be greatly reduced. The room appears way too small to have that big of a focal point. I'd also never put carpet that close to a fire place. The fake wood paneling is awful. The light is... beyond words. And in addition to all that, the room is set up awful. The couch blocks the window. You can't sit on it and watch TV unless you like turning your head 90*. 

I feel like I need a shower just by looking at those pictures...

See this reply in the discussion

12 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Baltimore, MD · Member since 2018 · 432 posts · 281 votes
    5y

    Absolutely NOT the stone. I think it's real. 

    The paneling, if actual wood, is really expensive, but I would paint it for a flip. For an STR, I might run with it, making the right kind of modern statement wall with the right furniture. If it's fake and not bookmatched veneer, though, it goes regardless. (I can't tell on my tiny screen but I suspect it's fake.)

    And of course replace the carpet with LVT. 

  • Austin, TX · Member since 2019 · 5k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Genny Li:

    Absolutely NOT the stone. I think it's real. 

    The paneling, if actual wood, is really expensive, but I would paint it for a flip. For an STR, I might run with it, making the right kind of modern statement wall with the right furniture. If it's fake and not bookmatched veneer, though, it goes regardless. (I can't tell on my tiny screen but I suspect it's fake.)

    And of course replace the carpet with LVT. 

    You know about bookmatched veneer, I'm impressed.

    This doesn't seem to be common knowledge among most people.

    You get a 10 for bringing up this angle.

  • Bjorn AhlbladPro Member
    Investor · Shelton, WA · Member since 2017 · 6k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    5y

    Lots of cheap crap there........fireplace looks very cheaply done. That Rosewood veneer-but it is not real Rosewood- if real would be great in the right setting. The carpet is hideous. Bring it all into the 21st century! Everything is very 1980's, the TV looks happy to be there.

  • Baltimore, MD · Member since 2018 · 432 posts · 281 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Scott Mac:
    Originally posted by @Genny Li:

    Absolutely NOT the stone. I think it's real. 

    The paneling, if actual wood, is really expensive, but I would paint it for a flip. For an STR, I might run with it, making the right kind of modern statement wall with the right furniture. If it's fake and not bookmatched veneer, though, it goes regardless. (I can't tell on my tiny screen but I suspect it's fake.)

    And of course replace the carpet with LVT. 

    You know about bookmatched veneer, I'm impressed.

    This doesn't seem to be common knowledge among most people.

    You get a 10 for bringing up this angle.

     I'm a serious house nerd. Lol. And furniture nerd. 

    For more context.... The fireplace looks real but like it has never been cleaned. Those big fieldstones are probably just caked in cigarette smoke, which is why it's blotchy. For some reason, smoke shows up more on camera than IRL. I sincerely doubt it's fake because the house seems to be from the early 70s, and fake stone wasn't in use in fireplaces then, that I know of. 

    Perma-stone and formstone had been blighting exteriors for a while, but never picked up indoors. 

    I think the thoughtless decorating and the mixed message between the modern wall and rustic mantle are causing some major visual confusion right now, too. 

  • Baltimore, MD · Member since 2018 · 432 posts · 281 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Bjorn Ahlblad:

    Lots of cheap crap there........fireplace looks very cheaply done. That Rosewood veneer-but it is not real Rosewood- if real would be great in the right setting. The carpet is hideous. Bring it all into the 21st century! Everything is very 1980's, the TV looks happy to be there.

     I think we both overlooked the masterpiece of the nautical light fixture....

  • Joe SplitrockPro Member
    Moderator
    Rental Property Investor · Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 18k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Scott Mac:

    Just for discussion purposes.

    I picked this pic off the internet.

    It looks like a lot of "Hoarder Houses" decor style.

    Busy carpet, busy furniture, paneling, faux rocks on the walls, flat paint.

    I can smell the cigarette smoke just looking at the picture.

    But I wonder if you owned this place, as either a flip or a rental, or AirBnB, would you rip everything out and paint it all grey and modern.

    Or do you think pic 2 is acceptable and cheap (quick) way to do it.

    Tear it out to the studs, or just light cosmetic changes, or something completely different?

    What do you think (???)

     When I look at the photo, I don't imagine a hoarder or smoker. The room is not cluttered at all. I envision some 90 year old lady lived here and the property is just frozen in time. I purchased a house like this. The carpet was ugly as sin, but in perfect condition. Old person mentality says if it is in good condition, it doesn't need to be replaced. That is hard to argue. Think of how much waste has been generated by throwing things out, simply because they are out of style. 

    I would either paint the paneling or replace with sheetrock. The stone I would leave alone. Natural stone or brick is expensive, so I am not a fan of ripping it out or painting it. It goes in and out of fashion, so wait long enough and everything comes back. Carpet has to go.

    For an AirBNB, you could lean in and use it as a theme. We have a 1950's style house that we AirBNB. We decorated it mid-century modern and people love it. The crown jewel is our 70 year old blue table in the kitchen. There is truth to the saying, "they don't build it like they used to".

  • Austin, TX · Member since 2019 · 5k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Bjorn Ahlblad:

    Lots of cheap crap there........fireplace looks very cheaply done. That Rosewood veneer-but it is not real Rosewood- if real would be great in the right setting. The carpet is hideous. Bring it all into the 21st century! Everything is very 1980's, the TV looks happy to be there.

     BTW--That's Major League Baseball on the TV...Maybe that's why it's so happy.

  • Rental Property Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    5y

    I would not rent it as is. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think there is a lot of demand from renters to live in a place that looks like it is a 1970s porno set. 

    If I bought that place, everything would be gone. The size of the fireplace is overwhelming and needs to be greatly reduced. The room appears way too small to have that big of a focal point. I'd also never put carpet that close to a fire place. The fake wood paneling is awful. The light is... beyond words. And in addition to all that, the room is set up awful. The couch blocks the window. You can't sit on it and watch TV unless you like turning your head 90*. 

    I feel like I need a shower just by looking at those pictures...

  • Real Estate Broker · Rochester Hills, MI · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    5y

    All depends on the if the numbers allow it and what is the local norm.  If this home is in an area that is stuck in 1974 and is what tenants seek out then no, I would not be the one to drag them into 2021.  That said, what I would do with it would depend on the numbers.  

  • Investor · NJ · Member since 2018 · 869 posts · 921 votes
    5y

    Everyone keeps saying go for an 70s theme. I say they should've kept the helm chandelier light and gone with a pirate theme haha. 

  • Handyman · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Greg M.:

    I would not rent it as is. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think there is a lot of demand from renters to live in a place that looks like it is a 1970s porno set. 

    If I bought that place, everything would be gone. The size of the fireplace is overwhelming and needs to be greatly reduced. The room appears way too small to have that big of a focal point. I'd also never put carpet that close to a fire place. The fake wood paneling is awful. The light is... beyond words. And in addition to all that, the room is set up awful. The couch blocks the window. You can't sit on it and watch TV unless you like turning your head 90*. 

    I feel like I need a shower just by looking at those pictures...

    I am having my Greg M. moment for the day...

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.