North Carolina (NC) Meet: Raleigh, Cary, Apex, Chapel Hill, Durham

51 Replies

• 01/16/15 06:00PM
  • The Dogwood Room in the Community Center at Bond Park. 801 High House Road, Cary, NC 27513
  • Free

Disclaimer: BiggerPockets does not support or sponsor any meetups unless otherwise noted. Do your due diligence before attending any events. You may be agreeing to attend an event that includes promotion, pitching, or high-pressure sales tactics or techniques. Poster certifies that there will be no pitching of products or services at this event.

Report Event

Hi James  --  Thank you for organizing this!  Ross Hannah and I look forward to attending.

I'll be there. Thanks!

Nichole and Eric Weireter are still attending... Just hopped on to double check the time and location.

See everybody tonight!

-Eric

James and Easton, Thank you so much for organizing this event! Wow, what an amazing turnout. I really enjoyed the atmosphere, positive energy, and motivation from everyone that was able to make it!

It was great to meet so many new people and share ways to accomplish our goals and overcome some of the challenges we face.

I look forward to more!

Jayson Love

@James Hutson  I attended this meeting and enjoyed getting to meet some local BP'ers in person. 

But I'm not so sure that this statement is true: "This poster certifies that there will be no pitching of products or services at this event."

Golden Realty's name keeps popping up (in the presentation that night and in a subsequent email that I just received) along with the fact that they are "investment brokers" offering to help me/us.  Though there has not (yet) been any mention of specific services or fees, it is enough to make me feel a bit uneasy.

My understanding was that this was to be an informal, spontaneous get-together of local BP members.  I find myself a little disappointed that it was not just that.

@James Hutson   I am further disappointed that you have not responded to my concerns as stated in my previous post.  Therefore, I ask that you please remove me from your mailing list.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This poster certifies that there will be no pitching of products or services at this event.

Time of Event: 01/16/2015 at 06:00PM
Location: The Dogwood Room in the Community Center at Bond Park. 801 High House Road, Cary, NC 27513
Fee to Attend: Free

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Good Afternoon Art,

I just wanted to take a moment to drop you a note and say thank you for coming out to our Raleigh Bigger Pockets meet up on Friday. I hope you enjoyed yourself, got the chance to meet some like-minded people, and maybe even learned a thing or two.

As promised, you can find our groups contact list attached to this email. As I said last week, our goal at Goldens Realty is to help investors achieve their goals through bringing people together. There is no need to wait until our next meeting to sit down with other members. I encourage each of you to reach out to someone who shares an interest in Rentals, and Flipping to see if there is a way for your to improve the value chain together. I also know it can sometimes be difficult to establish the trust necessary for an effective partnership. If you should need a neutral third party intermediary, we are here for you and will gladly do whatever it takes to facilitate your transaction.

While each group mentioned different challenges, a common theme was a shortage of inventory. Locating good deals is our primary focus as investment brokers at Goldens and we will be working diligently to develop a strategy to help each group solve this problem. We will then work with each micro group to help develop custom solutions to help you achieve your goals.

Keep an eye out for your micro-groups next meeting invite, and please add us to your safe emailer list so we don’t get bounced to spam.

We look forward to getting to know you better, and until then…Happy Investing,

Easton, James, and Stanley

Mr. Allen,

I was glad to meet you at the Raleigh BiggerPockets meet last Friday and am sorry you were disappointed with the agenda. We appreciate your feedback and will incorporate it into our meeting notes to improve the quality of future meetings.

Bait and switch is a common practice among real estate investing seminars and we understand your reservations about continuing to be a part of the Raleigh BiggerPockets organization. However as you said, there has been no presentation of specific products, services or fees, and a simple thank you to the companies who sponsored the event and covered the hundreds of dollars in materials, space and refreshments was in good taste given the context in which it was given.

While your experience in real estate investing may allow you to go it alone, many new investors need help putting together partnerships with others. Our experience has shown us beginners benefit from having a professional neutral third party mediate these interactions. The private follow up email you felt necessary to publish openly was nothing more than a reaffirmation to those with less experience that they are not alone in facing these challenges.

We will of course, honor your request to be removed from the Raleigh BiggerPockets member list and wish you good luck and great success in your future real estate deals.

Originally posted by @Account Closed :

@James Hutson  I attended this meeting and enjoyed getting to meet some local BP'ers in person. 

My understanding was that this was to be an informal, spontaneous get-together of local BP members.  I find myself a little disappointed that it was not just that.

I agree with Art's feelings.

I did receive value out of meeting other local like-minded investors.  I'll also say that, for a company-sponsored event, I felt last week's meeting (not saying anything about the future) was run respectably.  That is, there were no product pitches and the sponsors' names were just out there in a "we have services that may be beneficial to you, but there's no obligation" fashion.

However, what really put me off was that this was billed as one thing, but it was really something else.  It was billed as a small informal meetup, when it was really a corporate marketing event.

Don't get me wrong...I have absolutely nothing against corporate marketing events where the attendees receive value and products/services aren't pushed down the attendees' throats. It's just that, if you guys had been forthright about the nature of the event, my expectations would have been correctly set, and I would be screaming about how AMAZING the meetup was.  Instead, I feel like I was duped a bit, so my view of the organizers isn't nearly as favorable.

But then again, maybe it's my own fault.  I should have realized the gig when you mentioned paying for the meeting space and printing name tags.

@James Hutson  all in all it was a good turn out. I understand what others are saying but in these types of events there is always someone networking or marketing something.  what went on was fairly mild compared to many other I have been to.   I would like at some point to put on a 1:30-2hr training on flips and rehabs. ( I am not selling anything!)  

Good work putting it together and spending your time on it.

I did not feel like there was much pitching, although I missed the first 15 minutes so maybe that is when it happened. The e-mail did mention their company but compared to TREIA, which seems to have a speaker trying to sell me something every month, I did not even notice.

I am curious what the BP rules are on when it comes to pitching. Is sending a follow up email with a paragraph mentioning your company pitching? Or is it networking? It seems like grey area to me. No one tried to charge anything for any follow up meetings or information which I think is the biggest no no(and most common problem in real estate).  

I understand and partially agree with the feelings Art and Ricky shared but to be fair it was the first meeting and it is a learning opportunity for everyone. I too was expecting an informal get together, but so many people came I think a little structure helped. 

Again, it was the first time anyone tried this and you can't expect perfection. 

@James Hutson   Thank you for responding.

To me, "No pitching of goods or services" means exactly that: none at all.  

I posted your letter to demonstrate my point.  As @Ricky A. said, "It was billed as a small informal meetup, when it was really a corporate marketing event.".  I doubt as many people would have shown up had they known the truth.  I also doubt you would have been allowed to post the event in the forum or to use the BP logo at the event and on your Facebook page.  In my opinion, you acted deceptively.

@Eric F.   Here are the rules governing events:

http://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/521/topics/112...

@Joshua Houchins    There is nothing wrong with you selling something.  You just have to be plain about it.  What kind of training do you offer?!  I might be interested!     :)

@Account Closed  I am actually not selling anything at this point I am about 1 year away from production of material to sell but it is basically how I flip a bunch of homes, set up the deal, break it down, spec it out, market the home, pretty much everything you need to know to do a lot of flips at one time or just one at a time.  I basically walk people with or without experience through the process.  

@Joshua Houchins  You have an impressive profile;  I'm sure you'll do very well with that. There are so many people trying to get into flipping!

Originally posted by @Joshua Houchins :

@James Hutson  all in all it was a good turn out. I understand what others are saying but in these types of events there is always someone networking or marketing something.  what went on was fairly mild compared to many other I have been to.   I would like at some point to put on a 1:30-2hr training on flips and rehabs. ( I am not selling anything!)  

Good work putting it together and spending your time on it.

I don't disagree...including the last sentence.  The event was well done.  

I think there are few people who would have the foresight to structure the meeting that way, and the structure really maximized the value for the attendees.  I think there are even fewer people who would be willing to put in the effort needed to make it happen.  

In fact, there may not be any individual (i.e., non-company) that would be willing to put that much useful time and effort in an event like that.  So I applaud them for doing it.

Had I not had any expectations...like if I had just been milling around the community center and just happened to have stumbled into the meeting...I would have thought it was amazing.  However, with the pretenses that were set, I just felt a bit used.

TREIA definitely promotes paid offerings at their meetings, but that's the expectation that they've set, and I don't have any ill will going to their meetings...I know exactly what I'm going to get.

Moderators, this is intended to be a constructive addition to this topic of face-to-face meeting of BP members... just a different venue many may not be thinking about

Another local alternative is WTCC continuing ed courses. I am a 'graduate' of this class:
http://www.waketech.edu/programs-courses/non-credi... Taught by an experienced local flipper... 

'Flip' It...A Look Into Investing in Today's Real Estate Market, Knightdale High School, 03/03/2015 to 04/28/2015. Weekly, 6PM - 9PM. $150.00. 

Great value for $150.

Is this meetup dead? 

If it is, can we start another one? I can do the leg work and organize the meetup. 

Please, hit me up... thanks..

Thang

I'm interested in joining too. 

same here. any further plan of the meeting?

Definitely interested. Please let me know!

We definitely need another meetup in this area, it's booming!

@Becky Davis  @Thang Cao  @Brian Han  @Kevin Collins

This meet up was a one & done. Myself as well as plenty of other Triangle BP members would definitely like to see another meet up in the near future. I've been wanting to take on the task of organizing a very informal gathering but have not yet taken that first step. Thang, if you want to take the lead on it I'm down to help out anyway possible. I believe you'll need to get Josh & Brandon's blessing before moving forward. The last one ended up lightly pitching some local businesses and that didn't sit well with some of the attendees.

I definitely would be interested as well. 

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here