28 y/o Female – 50k debt to 10k/mo+ passive income, 100 deals/yr

74 Replies

Last year, I shared my story here on BP . Please read for more background info. @Chris Lemire and I are here to give you guys an update!

Our progression:

June 2015 - 50k in debt. joined Biggerpockets. Started learning about REI. Started taking action

Dec 2015 – closed on our first rental (technically our primary residence but purchased on rental criteria)

Feb 2016 – closed on purchase of 2nd rental (bp post - rental case study) and 1st flip

June 2016 – sold 1st flip (concept proven). Started building a flipping business

October 2016 – went to Flip Hacking Live event to learn how to build a flipping business in San Diego and joined a mastermind group

Nov-Dec 2016 – bought more flips

2017 – sold 15 flips and 35 wholesales (bp post - flip case study)

– Closed on local 24 unit multifamily property. 

- Limited partners in 250+ unit apartment complex. 

- Flipping business did 21 flips and 35 wholesales

- 24 unit value add strategy now complete 

- closed on an additional 400 units as limited partners and general partners 

- Flipping business - our awesome team is on track to do 100+ deals 

- Goal is to close another 250+ units as limited partners and general partners before the end of 2019

A closer look at our flipping/wholesaling business

We have an amazing team of 10 including Chris and I that run this business. Couldn't do it without all of them. Right now we have 25 flips on the board and 60 wholesales. Goal is to finish 2019 and sell all the 25 flips and 75+ wholesales

A closer look at the 24-unit deal
    @Chris Lemire executed the value add strategy. We renovated 8 1980 vintage units and brought all rents to market ($875-900). Cashflow is $100,000+ pear year after all expenses, debt service, etc.

A closer look at the 630 units

We partnered with great sponsors in the multifamily space and are limited partners (passive investors) and also general partners (active part of the sponsorship team). The complexes are all in the southeast (Atlanta GA, Beaumont TX, Savannah GA) all managed by professional management and are cashflowing well. We'll be closing on another 250+ units before the end of the year

Thoughts and thanks

It's crazy to think how...

-3 years ago we couldn't go to NZ for a family emergency - we couldn't afford last minute plane tickets, and were afraid to lose our jobs if we left

-5 years ago we were deep in debt (Negative $50,000 net worth)

-6 years ago our "first home" was a long term stay motel and I couldn't get a job in the usa

-10 years ago I was working a minimum wage job while going to school to help my family pay the bills

-15 years ago my little sister, brother, mom and I lived in a 100 sqft studio in Manila and my goal in life was to make $5 an hour so I could help provide for my family

Now....

🏢 We're buying large apartment complexes with amazing partners 

🏋️‍♂️ We've got a rockstar team who buys/sells 100+ investment houses a year.

✈️ We'll be spending 4 weeks in New Zealand, Australia and Hawaii with Chris' family and mine.

Thank you to Biggerpockets for providing an amazing platform for learning and networking. We met so many people through here, that have become mentors and partners that allowed to get where we are. If it weren't for us connecting with @William Allen here on BP, and him inviting us to Flip Hacking Live 3 years ago, we wouldn't be doing this now. 

If you have any questions please post here and I'll do my best to help!

Promotion
    Apartments.com
    List, Screen, Lease, Get Paid, Manage.
    No Better Place to Lease Your Place
    Owners rely on the #1 rental site to get the best results from their rental properties.
    Get Started Now

Account Closed I've never flipped in San Diego. We live in FL and our business is in FL and the southeast. What I meant was there is an event in San Diego called Flip Hacking Live that taught us how to build a business that flips houses. I do know people who do it in San Diego though. They usually do less volume but make more money per deal

This is a great story of your progression! It was great meeting you two at Commercial Blueprint. After our conversation it inspired me to prove the flip concept to myself. I'm now on my 2nd flip, and have another under contract. Unfortunately I'm unable to make it to Flip Hacking Live this year, but certainly will be planning to attend the next one!

Keep up the great work!

Where are your deals coming from? Does your website appear on the first page of google? Do you pay for clicks or have a team that manages your websites SEO? 

@Rich Hupper 95% of our deals come from direct mail. 5% come from facebook ads, google ads, and referrals. Our website appears on the first page of google @Jerryll Noorden is helping us out with that. None of our team are great at the website stuff so working with someone who knows what they're doing helps  alot

@John Corey thank you !

@Tony Duong hey Tony long time no see! was great to learn from you during the commercial event. That's awesome!! Way to take massive action. Congrats on your two flips! Hope to see you at another event soon and keep in touch online

@Tony Duongundefined

Great job!!!!!! This is amazing!!!!! I love seeing people win! Especially winning like this!!!

Promotion
    BAM Capital
    Multifamily Syndicator
    Targeted 10% Monthly Returns | Passive Income
    Backed by institutional-grade apartments, strong sponsor track record, $700M AUM, over 5,000 units
    Learn More
    Originally posted by @Arianne L. :

@Rich Hupper 95% of our deals come from direct mail. 5% come from facebook ads, google ads, and referrals. Our website appears on the first page of google @Jerryll Noorden is helping us out with that. None of our team are great at the website stuff so working with someone who knows what they're doing helps  alot

YOU!!!!!!

Been trying to reach you. :D

I want to get you to #1 position  BEFORE flip hacking live. It is an obsessive goal of mine.  I need one of your team members to work with on the site. Lets chat! I just need ONE minion from your site and I will work with them. They do not need to know a thing about SEO. They just need to follow direction! That's all.

Can't wait to see you and man on stage again!

Ohh, and to all of BP, GO TO FLIP HACKING LIVE!!!

Seriously Y'all!

@Arianne L. This is so unbelievably inspiring! Congratulations! My wife/son and I are in the process of relocating to the Orlando area! Can you explain how you connected with partners to get in to the 250 Unit deal? Or just in general how you would recommend getting into deals like that. God bless! Thanks!

@DC Lawson advanced welcome to Orlando! Love that area. The best way is by networking with people who are already doing 100+ unit deals. So connect with me, and other people here on BP who are doing large deals. Then we can see how we can work together. The thing I love about big deals 100+ units is the pie is so large there is so much opportunity to work TOGETHER vs with 1 single family rental, its kind of hard to partner with multiple people. God bless you as well!

@Jerryll Noorden sorry for the late reply! I'll have one of my team members dedicated to this the next few weeks. They will be under your expert care :)

@Rodney Harris thank you! hoping to see many more of your wins soon!

@Rich Hupper Jerryll is the SEO wiz. Direct mail is effective but expensive. We're hoping to get our cost per deal down once we get our SEO running better

@Cody L. I've learned a lot from your BP contributions over the years, thank YOU! The American dream is alive indeed. Dream + hard work x time = success!

@Jason Hammond you got this! Keep on persevering. It took me 6 months from when I started learning to my first deal. The first deal is always the hardest but it snowballs from there. 

@Vina Real appreciate your support from when we were just getting started to today! You're doing amazing things as well!

Originally posted by @Arianne L. :

@DC Lawson advanced welcome to Orlando! Love that area. The best way is by networking with people who are already doing 100+ unit deals. So connect with me, and other people here on BP who are doing large deals. Then we can see how we can work together. The thing I love about big deals 100+ units is the pie is so large there is so much opportunity to work TOGETHER vs with 1 single family rental, its kind of hard to partner with multiple people. God bless you as well!

@Jerryll Noorden sorry for the late reply! I'll have one of my team members dedicated to this the next few weeks. They will be under your expert care :)

@Rodney Harris thank you! hoping to see many more of your wins soon!

@Rich Hupper Jerryll is the SEO wiz. Direct mail is effective but expensive. We're hoping to get our cost per deal down once we get our SEO running better

@Cody L. I've learned a lot from your BP contributions over the years, thank YOU! The American dream is alive indeed. Dream + hard work x time = success!

@Jason Hammond you got this! Keep on persevering. It took me 6 months from when I started learning to my first deal. The first deal is always the hardest but it snowballs from there. 

@Vina Real appreciate your support from when we were just getting started to today! You're doing amazing things as well!

You have helped us SO much. The reason I am so eager to have someone help is so that I can FINALLY do something in return!

OK thank you. Game is on. #1 before Flip hacking Live!

But Pensacola is Mine!! I will give you the rest of Florida! :D

@Arianne L. Whoah! Congrats. I'm just getting started and the common thread running through the Bigger Pockets podcasts, forum posts, etc. is taking action. I'm dealing with DTI (sounds like some sort of medical condition) currently but I'll keep charging to make a deal happen. Thanks for the update.

Hey folks, I’m brand new here. When you say you’re “flipping properties”, are you paying GCs and such to do the work? Or are you all doing what you can on your own? The reasons I ask are these. I have a full time career, with little rehab knowledge, tools, or means ( I don’t even own a truck!). Second, if you hire people to do the work, how is that not crushing your profits? BTW, @Arianne L. you guys have an amazing story here, and it made me happy to read. Thank you for sharing! 

-Rob

@Arianne L. Nice story, I am accumulating capital for first deal aiming at multifamily while reading everything I can and it's difficult because the people who usually support me think I'm going to fail. They aren't hostile but dismissive and it gives me pause. Surrounding yourself with the right people seems so key.

Congrats again, I have a soft spot for slps, work in hospital therapy Dept and our slp is a dysphagia rockstar lol

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
    • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
    • Learn how to get started with or without money,
    • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
    • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you