Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Jerry L.
Votes |
Travel Nurses via Furnished Finders

Jerry L.
Posted Sep 8 2022, 07:55

Hey all, I'm very close to getting my primary house listed for rent. I've been looking at targeting travel nurses as of late, my current residence is nearly 10-30 minutes from multiple level 1-2 trauma centers, and other major hospitals in the metro so it makes sense to me. For those who rent to travel nurses, do you charge more than regular comps? Will getting a pro membership on here or paying for the Furnished finder fee show comps I should be expecting? 

User Stats

Votes
Salvatore Ross
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • Miami, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • Miami, FL
Replied Sep 8 2022, 08:20

Curious about this as well. I have a condo in Brickell, Miami that allows 30 day rentals pending HOA approval. I want to make sure comps make sense compared to LTR. Location is similar to hospitals, etc.

User Stats

Votes
Quinn Olivarez
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Houston, TX
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Houston, TX
Replied Sep 8 2022, 09:43

Be wary of the future consistency in MTRs. Travel nursing has exploded in recent years because of the pandemic. As concerns over the pandemic continue to wane, so will demand for MTR housing. The saturation and competition STR hosts are facing atm is very real, and that effect is likely to be exponentially more impactful in the MTR space as the tenant / guest pool shrinks into near oblivion

Baselane logo
Baselane
|
Sponsored
Baselane is the Ultimate All-In-One Banking Platform for REI Built with integrated rent collection & bookkeeping to save time so you can grow your RE business.

User Stats

Votes
Paul Sandhu#4 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Investor
  • The worst town to live in, KS
Votes |
Paul Sandhu#4 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Investor
  • The worst town to live in, KS
Replied Sep 8 2022, 11:35

I've had much better results renting to traveling welders, fitters, boilermakers, electricians and inspectors.  They are all doing industrial work.  The traveling nurses don't make anywhere near as much money as the traveling laborers.  A nurse bawks at $200 a week.  A boilermaker will gladly pay $300 a week.  

User Stats

Votes
Dale K Poyser
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Laguna Niguel, CA
Votes |
  • Laguna Niguel, CA
Replied Sep 11 2022, 13:23

You don't need a membership on FurnishedFinder to determine comps. You can see current listings in your city to determine the average rates. You can also check the "furnished" listings on other sites like Zillow, corporate housing, etc. Add those properties to your favorites list so you can track.

1 - If the properties are renting at or above what they were listed

2 - How long it takes to get them rented

These will give you an idea of comps and demand.

User Stats

Votes
Jordan Spradlin
Pro Member
  • Leavenworth, KS
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Leavenworth, KS
Replied Dec 10 2022, 12:58

@Jerry L.

Following up to see if you placed your property on furnished finder and how it has been going. 

I'm planning to do the same with my property in the next few months while I rehab the basement to serve as a MTR for nurses or soldiers. 

Hope all is good

User Stats

Votes
Colleen F.
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Narragansett, RI
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Narragansett, RI
Replied Dec 14 2022, 10:52

@Jordan Spradlin interest is falling off in MA unless you are right by the hospital. A few months ago I had several prospects and wound up with a tenant commuting 45 minutes to Boston and now crickets.  You get alot of people starting to rent in this space and travel nurse demand is fallen. If you are really close to where they need to be hospital or base and the market price looks good to you its worth it but be prepared for some fall off in demand. 

User Stats

Votes
Kyle Curtin
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Tewksbury, MA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Tewksbury, MA
Replied Dec 16 2022, 08:58
Quote from @Colleen F.:

@Jordan Spradlin interest is falling off in MA unless you are right by the hospital. A few months ago I had several prospects and wound up with a tenant commuting 45 minutes to Boston and now crickets.  You get alot of people starting to rent in this space and travel nurse demand is fallen. If you are really close to where they need to be hospital or base and the market price looks good to you its worth it but be prepared for some fall off in demand. 

Hi Colleen! That is super insightful. I have a vacant 2br unit in my 3 family in North Leominster that I was considering doing a MTR on and have been trying to learn as much as I can. It is only a 6 minutes away from one of the Mass Memorial campuses, do you think it could still be worth it to furnish it and try it out, or potentially call someone at the hospital to talk about the demand of travel nurses there maybe? 

User Stats

Votes
Colleen F.
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Narragansett, RI
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Narragansett, RI
Replied Dec 17 2022, 17:42

@Kyle Curtin  look on FF for demand and competition. Keep in mind it will be for a raduis around your area.  Before you furnish you could try HR at the hospital.  For requests on FB I see alot for Boston hospitals, MGH, longwood, Boston Childrens, then Worcester and Lowell, some for Waltham so look on those FB pages.  I have seen Springfield but not Leominster.  There are a couple of FB pages the nurses look for housing on including one local for Boston that occasionally has areas out of Boston.  You have to join some of them content is not public. Furnished Finder has a FB page that gets some traffic. Not sure I would furnish before checking out the market although there are other people looking not just nurses. I recently got a relocation person from Korea and the previous health care professional was not a nurse. 

User Stats

Votes
Kyle Curtin
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Tewksbury, MA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Tewksbury, MA
Replied Dec 17 2022, 18:47
Quote from @Colleen F.:

@Kyle Curtin  look on FF for demand and competition. Keep in mind it will be for a raduis around your area.  Before you furnish you could try HR at the hospital.  For requests on FB I see alot for Boston hospitals, MGH, longwood, Boston Childrens, then Worcester and Lowell, some for Waltham so look on those FB pages.  I have seen Springfield but not Leominster.  There are a couple of FB pages the nurses look for housing on including one local for Boston that occasionally has areas out of Boston.  You have to join some of them content is not public. Furnished Finder has a FB page that gets some traffic. Not sure I would furnish before checking out the market although there are other people looking not just nurses. I recently got a relocation person from Korea and the previous health care professional was not a nurse. 

Thank you so much Colleen! This is absolutely awesome. Thank you so much for the advice! 

User Stats

Votes
Jordan Schoner
  • Investor
  • Mexico, IN
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Mexico, IN
Replied Dec 18 2022, 09:06
Quote from @Paul Sandhu:

I've had much better results renting to traveling welders, fitters, boilermakers, electricians and inspectors.  They are all doing industrial work.  The traveling nurses don't make anywhere near as much money as the traveling laborers.  A nurse bawks at $200 a week.  A boilermaker will gladly pay $300 a week.  

Do you have a website that you try and get laborers on or just the tradition sites?

User Stats

Votes
Mike Perry
  • Investor
  • New York
Votes |
  • Investor
  • New York
Replied Jul 7 2023, 17:22

@Paul Sandhu

Hey Paul, I have a question for you. What site do you use to find traveling laborers?