Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Kenneth Woodruff
  • Investor
  • Lancaster, PA
Votes |
PICKLE BALL COURT

Kenneth Woodruff
  • Investor
  • Lancaster, PA
Posted

So we have a STR with a large flat yard and have been considering adding a pickle ball court. Anyone have one on their property? Thoughts on if its worth the hassle?

User Stats

Votes
John McKee#5 Commercial Real Estate Investing Contributor
  • Investor
  • Fairfax, VA
Votes |
John McKee#5 Commercial Real Estate Investing Contributor
  • Investor
  • Fairfax, VA
Replied

I agree that I don't think it's worth the cost.  There are more affordable amenities like a game room, hot tub etc.

User Stats

Votes
Replied

I think adding a Pickleball is a good investment. As someone who has been playing before it was cool. I am confident that its not going anywhere and people will pay extra for it. The learning curve for a new player is much lower than tennis. If it was me I wouldn't make it multi use. If you have to share lines it makes it confusing, but that's just me. It's getting so popular where I am at its difficult to find places to play and if you want to drill with a partner be prepared for an argument. My only question is where is the STR located? Just wandering how many months can it be used.

CV3 Financial logo
CV3 Financial
|
Sponsored
Fix & Flip | DSCR | Construction Loans Up to 90% LTV - Up to 80% Cash Out - No Income Verification - No Seasoning Requirements

User Stats

Votes
Lucia Rushton
  • Realtor
  • Dallas - Fort Worth Metroplex, Tx
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Dallas - Fort Worth Metroplex, Tx
Replied

@Kenneth Woodruff great value - add.

User Stats

Votes
Jay Thomas
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
Replied

Real estate decisions can be tricky, especially when it comes to introducing something that could potentially cause noise complaints from neighbors. While it would certainly make a great perk to have a badminton court on the property, you should make sure to evaluate all of your options carefully before making a final decision. After all, there is more than just noise complaints to take into consideration. Good luck!

User Stats

Votes
Bruce Woodruff
Pro Member
#1 Contractors Contributor
  • Contractor/Investor/Consultant
  • West Valley Phoenix
Votes |
Pro Member
  • West Valley Phoenix
Replied
Quote from @Kenneth Woodruff:
Quote from @Bruce Woodruff:

And what about the cost to build a real court? I just looked it up and I'm getting numbers like $20k - $50k.... That will take a long time to recoup, wouldn't it? And how far away is the nearest public court?

Yea, cost is one area im not sure I would recover, although doing some of it myself the cost is pretty low.  Some of the noise comments are a concern as well.

A lot of the cost is in the pad and moreso the coating....

User Stats

Votes
Andy Whitcomb
  • Investor
  • Black Diamond, WA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Black Diamond, WA
Replied

It's interesting to see this post... my business partner is obsessed with pickleball and has been wanting to add one to one of our STR properties for a year or two. We're near Seattle and there is a shortage of courts, and TONS of people wanting to play. I've been wondering about the ROI, especially considering we'd be doing a covered space for our climate. However, in our case this covered space would be designed so it could be used for multiple uses. This is still on the table, but might be something we consider on a new project rather than add to one of our existing properties.

User Stats

Votes
Bruce Woodruff
Pro Member
  • West Valley Phoenix
Votes |
Pro Member
  • West Valley Phoenix
Replied

How long will it take to recoup the initial costs? For the average STR?

User Stats

Votes
Kenneth Woodruff
  • Investor
  • Lancaster, PA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Lancaster, PA
Replied
Quote from @Bruce Woodruff:

How long will it take to recoup the initial costs? For the average STR?

This is my biggest concern, if im 135 years old before its paid for not sure it was a smart move lol. I have no idea how to estimate the up-charge or increase in bookings it might bring in.

User Stats

Votes
Lyndsay Zwirlein
  • Lender
Votes |

Prob depends on your market and target client. Bill Faeth just put one in his Gulf Shores property - you could prob get more info if you follow him on social!

User Stats

Votes
Ryan Moyer
Property Manager
  • Property Manager
  • Orlando Kissimmee, Davenport
Votes |
Property Manager
  • Property Manager
  • Orlando Kissimmee, Davenport
Replied

FWIW on the noise, when you have a big set of like 10 pickleball courts that everyone is playing on it's very loud.  But with just one it's not that bad.  We've stayed in 4 or 5 homes with pickleball courts and noise never seemed like much of an issue.

User Stats

Votes
Colleen F.
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Narragansett, RI
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Narragansett, RI
Replied

@Kenneth Woodruff  so in PA it would be a plus for maybe half the year?   Might not be worth it.

User Stats

Votes
Kenneth Woodruff
  • Investor
  • Lancaster, PA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Lancaster, PA
Replied

Corrrect, November thru April would be slow for outdoor activity, another thing we are considering.

Hemlane logo
Hemlane
|
Sponsored
Managing your property just got WAY cheaper and easier! Handle repairs, rent, listings, and more with the touch of a button - property manage like a pro!

User Stats

Votes
Bruce Woodruff
Pro Member
  • West Valley Phoenix
Votes |
Pro Member
  • West Valley Phoenix
Replied

@Kenneth Woodruff Its ultimately about ROI. How many guests will use it? How long will it take you to recoup your investment? Is this just a faddish whim?

User Stats

Votes
Ben Scarborough
  • Realtor
  • Gulf Shores, AL
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Gulf Shores, AL
Replied
Quote from @Lyndsay Zwirlein:

Prob depends on your market and target client. Bill Faeth just put one in his Gulf Shores property - you could prob get more info if you follow him on social!

Very cool! Pickleball is getting huge down here in Gulf Shores. The sportsplex here just added 12 courts! A ton of fun to play, and several retired people we know love how they can enjoy the sport as well due to the size of the court.

Ben Scarborough
BNB Real Estate, eXp Realty Southern Branch
Ph. (850) 390-2350

User Stats

Votes
Robert Crocker
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Encinitas, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Encinitas, CA
Replied

A Pickleball court is a great perk.  The proof is in the data.... It's the fasted growing sport in America.  There's also "big brand" money being investment into the PPA and MLP.  This sports here to last.  My personal experience is that anytime I go to any pickleball court to play, there are always dozens of people playing.  Typically the courts are full.  Lastly, there are a few other sports that can use that same court, which allows you to adjust as needed.

User Stats

Votes
Zach Edelman
  • Lender
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Austin, TX
Replied

This will 100% attract a good volume of guests. Pickleball's the hottest sport out right now. With that said just based on eye test I feel as though this strategy might not work unless you maybe target the listing to groups of people seeking a pickleball outing.