Growing your short term rental cohosting business...a different approach.

Growing your short term rental cohosting business...a different approach.

Investor · Minneapolis · Member since 2023 · 265 posts · 162 votes

I see a lot of folks mentioning on social media (more Facebook than here) that they wish someone would let them intern for free as a cohost. I think a more ambitious strategy would be to "flood the zone with value" - specifically, pick a few listings in the geography you are interested in that are being mismanaged and propose your plan to that owner just as an ice breaker. Example: a listing with a cool property but bad pictures or poorly written Airbnb listing, or maybe it needs a new design refresh or doesn't get many reviews. These are all solvable problems you can draft a business plan for, then propose your strategy and projected business benefits to the host.  There's no future in begging to work for free and it doesn't make you look like the executive who deserves to run someone else's business. If you give this a shot, tell me how it worked. Have fun with it.

1Reply
23 views

Most Popular Reply

Michael BaumPro Member
Olympia, WA · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 7k+ votes
2y

I see what you are saying @Theresa Holl, but I would sure be leery about someone with no experience managing my STR.

I suppose if the STR listing sucks etc, then I guess you don't have much to lose.

See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Michael BaumPro Member
    Olympia, WA · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    2y

    I see what you are saying @Theresa Holl, but I would sure be leery about someone with no experience managing my STR.

    I suppose if the STR listing sucks etc, then I guess you don't have much to lose.

  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Michael Baum:

    I see what you are saying @Theresa Holl, but I would sure be leery about someone with no experience managing my STR.

    I suppose if the STR listing sucks etc, then I guess you don't have much to lose.


     I agree with Michael. Only a desperate owner would let someone with no experience manage their property. 

  • Investor · Minneapolis · Member since 2023 · 265 posts · 162 votes
    2y
    Quote from @John Underwood:
    Quote from @Michael Baum:

    I see what you are saying @Theresa Holl, but I would sure be leery about someone with no experience managing my STR.

    I suppose if the STR listing sucks etc, then I guess you don't have much to lose.


     I agree with Michael. Only a desperate owner would let someone with no experience manage their property. 

    That makes sense...I was trying to think of a more creative way for people to get a start in the industry rather than the random requests for clients they throw out online.  Ultimately, everyone starts somewhere.  
  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Theresa Holl:
    Quote from @John Underwood:
    Quote from @Michael Baum:

    I see what you are saying @Theresa Holl, but I would sure be leery about someone with no experience managing my STR.

    I suppose if the STR listing sucks etc, then I guess you don't have much to lose.


     I agree with Michael. Only a desperate owner would let someone with no experience manage their property. 

    That makes sense...I was trying to think of a more creative way for people to get a start in the industry rather than the random requests for clients they throw out online.  Ultimately, everyone starts somewhere.  

     That is very true!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.