FREE Email Automation Hack

FREE Email Automation Hack

Investor · Roseville, CA · Member since 2016 · 893 posts · 1k+ votes

Good morning fellow VR/STR community. I decided to work on a solution from a post by @Michael Greenberg a few weeks back on email/communication automation tools.  Since I'm in the IT field I decided to try and come up with a 'hack' that those of us that have only a few properties could use and get by for free.  Here is the solution I came up with, Here are the high level steps, at some point, I will create a step by step document for all of this and share:

Google Calendar:  Create a dedicated Google Calendar just for your VR.  I already had this as I used it to auto-notify my hot tub and house keeping services.  You simply create an entry in the calendar as you received a new booking.  (once your automation is complete, this is will be the extent of your effort involved per booking)

> Put guest name in the Summary field

>Put check in and check out dates as date range

> Put guest's email address in the Description field

MailChimp:  I'm sure most of you know of MailChimp as it's one of the biggest names in email automation/autoresponders.  They allow up to 2000 free entries on your list. 

> Create a new list for your VR/STR

> Add 2 columns for Check in and Check Out Dates

> Create your email automations for whatever events you want to automate (pre-check in email, post check in email, post check out email, review request, etc.).  This part can take a lot of time but once you have it right, it's bullet proof. 

Automate.iO:  This is the secret sauce I found that will bring it all together.  This product is free to use for 5 bots (workflows) and 250 actions (calendar entries) per month.  If you need more than this then you are likely not looking for a free hack anyway. ;)

> Choose Mail Chimp and Google Calendar Apps from the App pool 

> Add Bot and map the Google Calendar fields as follows (see image)

>>Event Summary > Full Name

>>Event Description > Email Address

>>Event Begins > Checkin Date

>>Event Ends > Checkout Date (be sure to -1hr after 'Event Ends' if you notice your end date mapping your check out date one day later)

> Start your bot and run thru the test of your new automation

That's about it, I hope you find this hack useful and feel free to contact me directly if you have any questions or issues. 

Cheers!

~Jon

5Reply
56 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2016 · 533 posts · 433 votes
9y

@Jon Crosby Brilliant stuff Jon, thanks so much for sharing!  Mike

See this reply in the discussion

14 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Atlanta, GA · Member since 2015 · 38 posts · 28 votes
    9y

    there's also avivaiq.com which is free right now :p

  • Investor · Roseville, CA · Member since 2016 · 893 posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    Thanks @Ben Hooper for the info!  Unfortunately only 5% of my bookings are AirBNB and this platform (and a few others) only integrate with AirBNB bookings. 

  • Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2016 · 533 posts · 433 votes
    9y

    @Jon Crosby Brilliant stuff Jon, thanks so much for sharing!  Mike

  • Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2016 · 565 posts · 391 votes
    9y

    Excellent stuff as usual @Jon Crosby . Thanks for sharing. Will set it up sometime soon (hopefully) and feedback.

  • Real Estate Agent · Sevierville, TN · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    Well @Jon Crosby this is excellent stuff, just spent some time setting it all up... and ran into a snag: Automate.iO is no longer free!  :(  The most basic plan is $7/mo, which isn't bad, but means I'm going to look for something with additional features besides email automation.  (though, I may come back to this anyway, since I may have difficulty finding a service that will automate for both VRBO and AirBNB)

  • Investor · Roseville, CA · Member since 2016 · 893 posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    Hey @Julie McCoy!   Where are you seeing that?  I just went to their pricing page and they still have their free plan available? 

  • Real Estate Agent · Sevierville, TN · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    Oooh they are tricksy, they prompted me to sign up for a monthly plan when I completed the test of my bot, and the page they showed me looked like this: 

    But now I see if you click the little arrow on the left it will reveal the free plan!

    Thanks for clarifying!

  • Investor · Roseville, CA · Member since 2016 · 893 posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    Phew! Good to hear @Julie McCoy!  One little tip on this, don't use Google's new calendar UI, it auto formats the email address from plain text to HTML and then Automate.IO has trouble reconciling it into Mailchimp.  If you run across that issue, just be sure that the email address is in plain text however you can.  Good luck! Mine has been running solid for a few months now so far so good!  ;)

    Cheers!

  • Real Estate Agent · Sevierville, TN · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    Oooh thank you @Jon Crosby!  I couldn't get Automate.io to successfully import my reservations so wound up trying to find a bunch of workarounds (unsuccessfully).  But I do see the emails are encoded so I will see what I can do about that and try again... 

  • Rental Property Investor · Castle Rock, CO · Member since 2017 · 335 posts · 387 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Jon Crosby:

    Thanks @Ben Hooper for the info!  Unfortunately only 5% of my bookings are AirBNB and this platform (and a few others) only integrate with AirBNB bookings. 

    Jon...  Maybe I'm misunderstanding something but i don't see how this integrates (or needs to) with AirBNB?  As I understand it, you enter your bookings manually to Google Calendar, and it sends automated emails.

    Ben... So you can't use HTML-formatted emails then?  I really like using HTML because it makes for nice and professional-looking emails. Fonts, bold, tables, and most importantly, hyperlinks!  I use hyperlinks to promote my property's Facebook page, links to house manuals and local attractions on Dropbox, and more.

  • Investor · Roseville, CA · Member since 2016 · 893 posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    @Tim Schroeder, thanks for the question.  This does not integrate with Airbnb (nor does it need to).  Ben mentioned another company that does integrate with Airbnb ( however not VRBO/HA) as an alternative solution to this hack but I told him that only 5% of my bookings are Airbnb (as it is with many other people) so that solution would not work for me.  This solution is booking platform agnostic.   

    This solution uses Mailchimp which are completely HTML formatted and arguably the industry leader in email automation services.  

    Let me know if you think I'm misunderstood your question. 

    Cheers!

  • Rental Property Investor · Castle Rock, CO · Member since 2017 · 335 posts · 387 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Jon Crosby:

    @Tim Schroeder, thanks for the question.  This does not integrate with Airbnb (nor does it need to).  Ben mentioned another company that does integrate with Airbnb ( however not VRBO/HA) as an alternative solution to this hack but I told him that only 5% of my bookings are Airbnb (as it is with many other people) so that solution would not work for me.  This solution is booking platform agnostic.   

    This solution uses Mailchimp which are completely HTML formatted and arguably the industry leader in email automation services.  

    Let me know if you think I'm misunderstood your question. 

    Cheers!

     Thanks Jon, that cleared it up!  After reading more closely I see that the HTML issue was the address, not the body. I'll give it a try!

  • Real Estate Agent · New York, NY · Member since 2018 · 30 posts · 17 votes
    8y

    @Jon Crosby - This is terrific. I'm new to the short term rental game, but will be trying this out as I want to build systems from the start. Thank you!

  • Investor · Roseville, CA · Member since 2016 · 893 posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    Hi Everyone, I finally got around to creating a document for this email automation hack.  Thought I would share on this original thread.  Let me know if anyone has any questions or suggestions on how to make it better! 

    Just to clarify, AirGMS will do this for you as well but if you are like me and use a 3rd party provider like Evolve you don't have access to your listings, so this is how I provide streamline communication to my guests and service providers in that situation.   :)

    Cheers!

    https://www.dropbox.com/s/58hua03cmfzy10d/Vacation...

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.