WIFI compatible keyless door lock - need recommendations

11 Replies

We're at the later stages of finishing the reno on our vacation property in the Smoky Mountains.

Can anyone give me some advice on which front door keyless lock to buy?

I'd like to be able to program many codes and also be able to change the codes remotely from my home.

Any advice is welcomed. I've done a lot of research and it seems there are a ton of options. But, I need something very reliable.

@John Turner I use Schlage Deadbolt with Z-Wave and Nexia Bridge to run our property in Lake Tahoe.  It will hold up to 18-20 codes at once which is usually enough for our needs and we book about 200 days a year.  It's been very reliable once setup. 

Hope that helps your search efforts!

Cheers!

~Jon

I swear by the "RemoteLock". Easily sets itself apart from the rest because it connects directly to your wifi without an extra "hub" of any kind. Stores over 1600 possible guest codes. Allows you to give admin codes to people like housekeepers or maintenance personnel that only work between set times. Integrates directly into Airbnb and a few other property management systems. 

Perfect for a full time vacation rental.

Jared Higginbotham

Originally posted by @Jared Higginbotham :

I swear by the "RemoteLock". Easily sets itself apart from the rest because it connects directly to your wifi without an extra "hub" of any kind. Stores over 1600 possible guest codes. Allows you to give admin codes to people like housekeepers or maintenance personnel that only work between set times. Integrates directly into Airbnb and a few other property management systems. 

Perfect for a full time vacation rental.

Wow - I've done a good bit of research on locks as I prepare to add them to my STR, how have I never heard of RemoteLock before??? It sounds like exactly what I need, thanks! One question - my STR is in a rural location and wifi isn't always reliable, will these locks function even if wifi drops out? (obviously I wouldn't be able to change anything remotely without wifi, but existing codes wouldn't have a problem working, I assume?)

How long have you been using them?

@Julie McCoy these locks operate on a "Heartbeat" signal. Essentially, you set the rate at which it "comes online" to look for updates. I have it set to look for updates every hour and anytime the lock was spun. This is a really neat feature because they don't require constant access to wifi and only use it for occasional updates. So far I can't find an issue with them. 

Jared Higginbotham

@Jared Higginbotham I've started installing the resortlocks.  I'm going to copy and paste a response I typed for another thread:

I've got a dozen Schlage Sense locks that I'm slowly phasing out in favor of the ResortLock 5i and 6i. The Schlage's are not reacting well to the salt, something with this new touchscreen design is just ... fussy. Guests ended up trying multiple times and sometimes the pads would just not respond for a few minutes and then suddenly re-activate and let them in.

The responsiveness of the ResortLock isn't the greatest, you have to be deliberate when pressing the buttons and don't go too fast or it won't always register the keypress on the first try.

But the setting and auto revoke of codes really is nice. I give guests a few hour buffer on checkout day but after that the lock just won't let them back in.

Peter R.

THanks so much for those replies. I hesitate to spend money on something that can’t be relied upon. I’ll be researching these options for sure.

@Jared Higginbotham

Do you get the resort management with the resort lock when you purchase it? I can’t tell if that is an additional cost.

I see they offer the $0.99 or $3.00 per month for the monitoring. Which one did you go with?

Updated 6 months ago

I meant to say remote locks instead of resort locks.

@John Turner I think it's $3/Month one time for the remote device manager and $0.99/Month per lock added to the manager.  I think it's billed annually as well, mine are anyway.

Peter R.

Another vote for LockState/ResortLock.  Their app sucks, but the web interface on a mobile phone is fine.  It works well for me and you don't need a separate controller (i.e., z-wave)

Get the Schlage that @Jon Crosby just mentioned.  We got the Kwikset for our 5 in the Smoky Mountains (hey neighbor!), because they are advertised to be wifi compatible, but when we called to hook them up with Z-Wave, we were told that the option was not available yet, and we had already installed all 5 and couldn't return them.  So they hold 20 codes, but I can't change them with wifi, which was the whole point. 

Avery Carl, Real Estate Agent

just buy so many cabins you don’t have time to change the codes every day and leave the same codes for 6 months. 

It’s like I always say. My goal is more to get people IN than keep them out. If someone steels my fridge I’ll end up with a nicer fridge and better reviews. 

Everyone is different! 

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.