How to Sync Airbnb & VRBO calendars

16 Replies

Hi everyone, I was wondering if anyone knows how to sync Airbnb and VRBO and my own calendar so I can take real time bookings and not worry about double booking anyone? Thanks in advance for helping. 

I prefer Smartbnb. It does an awesome job of integrating everything and keeping all your listings synced up. Automated messaging and market reports too

@Kevin Kelsey that looks simple to use. Do you use it for more than one listing and how long have you been using it?

@Nancy Bachety , I've been using it with over 20 listings for 6 months now. Saves me so much time. Automated booking confirmations, check in messages. It automatically texts my cleaner and spa person when a new reservation is made and the day of a check in, and it includes how many guests and how many nights they are stay. Really awesome. Automates leaving reviews too.

@Kevin Kelsey It seems Smartbnb only supports Airbnb and I believe what Tina wants is the ability to sync the same property listing on Airbnb and VRBO etc. Am I missing something?

How to sync the Calendars between the two major platforms:

On AirBnB go to Calendar. Click advanced settings on the top right. Click export. Copy and past.

On VRBO, once the property you want has been selected click Calendar on the left or hover over it and select Reservations. Then click the button that has an up and down arrow. Select Import Calendar. Then Paste.

Then do the reverse.

VRBO Calendar on the left side then Reservations.
Click the Button that has an Up and Down arrow. Click Export. Copy and paste the URL.

Go back to AirBnB. Click Calendar. Click Advanced Settings. Click Import. Paste.

The process is basically the same with the little guys too like tripadvisor booking.com etc

I did all of that off the top of my head could be a bit off but I think I got it right.

Good Luck!

I used VRCalendarSync on my Wordpress site for a while. I thought it was the best thing I could find, even though it wasn't that great. However, I then found OwnerRez after doing extensive research. I tried Lodgify first, as it had more reviews and had been around longer. It didn't fit the bill.

OwnerRez is the way to go

@Kevin Kelsey I'm definitely interested in Smartbnb and have been reading through their website, etc. Do you think it is still as helpful for someone who gets most bookings through VRBO rather than Airbnb? Vrbo has the option for automated messages, etc. How does Smartbnb synch in with all that?

Thank you everyone!! You have been so helpful!

Is there anyway to have the Airbnb and VRBO calendars dynamically sync'd so I can turn Instant Book on both?

@Tina Chen @Karl Haase you don't need any outside software for this. AirBnb tells you exactly how to do it in their help articles. I actually just synced mine and it took a total of about 10 seconds.  Here you go:

How do I sync my Airbnb calendar with another calendar?

If you list your space on other websites, you can prevent multiple guests from booking the same dates by syncing your Airbnb calendar with your other calendars.

Calendar importing

Calendar importing allows you to automatically keep your Airbnb calendar up to date with an external calendar that supports the iCalendar format, including Google calendar or the calendar on HomeAway or VRBO.

To import a calendar:

1. On airbnb.com go to Host and select Calendar
  2. Click Availability settings in your calendar view
  3. Under Sync calendars, select Import Calendar
  4. Copy the URL for your other calendar into the Calendar address (URL) field
  5. Name your calendar
  6. Click Import calendar

If you edit an external calendar that syncs with your calendar on Airbnb, it will take a few hours for those changes to be visible to guests viewing your listing.

Calendar exporting

Calendar exporting lets you view your Airbnb calendar on an external calendar that supports the iCal format. To export your calendar in iCal format and add it to your external calendar:

1. On airbnb.com go to Host and select Calendar
  2. Click Availability settings in your calendar view
  3. Under Sync calendars, select Export Calendar
  4. Copy and paste the Airbnb calendar link into your iCal applications

@Chase Cline- I think Tina is looking for an app that will sync both calendars together automatically. She wants to Instant Book and my doing it manually she has to physically import and export each calendar. She can't Instant Book if she has to check each calendar before importing or exporting. I am looking for something similar. 

@David Schmidt . Yeah, no. What @Chase Cline said is what you want to do. I can’t believe we’re still talking about this 6 months later folks. Call customer service for whichever platform you prefer or call me if you’re having issues.
I think the issue she’s trying to fix is the ‘lag time’ between a booking on one platform to the update of another. Frequently when I get a reservation from either vrbo or Airbnb, there’s a few hours before my auto sync catches it, leaving that window open to double booking via the other platform. I have never had a double booking happen from this but It Is theoretically possIble And theres no solution I know of.
Originally posted by @Kevin Kelsey :

I prefer Smartbnb. It does an awesome job of integrating everything and keeping all your listings synced up. Automated messaging and market reports too

Smartbnb is only for Airbnb right now. it does not incorporate VRBO yet. 

Originally posted by @Lucas Carl :

How to sync the Calendars between the two major platforms:

On AirBnB go to Calendar. Click advanced settings on the top right. Click export. Copy and past.

On VRBO, once the property you want has been selected click Calendar on the left or hover over it and select Reservations. Then click the button that has an up and down arrow. Select Import Calendar. Then Paste.

Then do the reverse.

VRBO Calendar on the left side then Reservations.
Click the Button that has an Up and Down arrow. Click Export. Copy and paste the URL.

Go back to AirBnB. Click Calendar. Click Advanced Settings. Click Import. Paste.

The process is basically the same with the little guys too like tripadvisor booking.com etc

I did all of that off the top of my head could be a bit off but I think I got it right.

Good Luck!

be careful with these two calendars when synced. They show checkout dates in different ways. we had a problem with our cleaners when the platforms changed the way it viewed. I can't remember which is which, but one will show a check out date that is the morning after on the calendar. 

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here