Email marketing options for Vacation Rentals

11 Replies

Hello,

We are researching what the best options for doing some email marketing to past customers.  We capture everyone's email address with in Quickbooks and want to send out monthly emails with specials to try and encourage repeat customers.  I've used Constant Contact in the past and like they generate matrix for Open Rate and such which is useful.  Are the other services folks have used that has been successful and lower cost?

Thanks in advance everyone! 

I'm a big fan of MailChimp. they have consistently taken a user centric product design approach that leads to greater levels of user satisfaction... https://mailchimp.com/

Originally posted by @Account Closed :
@Joe Garvin Mailchimp gives the first 2k emails free each month. You do need to be careful with capturing their info with quickbooks. Legally- they have to give you permission to market- and you can be booted from intuit and constant contact. Avoid this by allowing them to sign up via the short term rental agreement.

Hi Nick,

We do have an agreement with all our renters and use a vacation property management company Evolve to handle our marketing and bookings.   But to be safe I will send them an email to make sure we are doing things correctly.  Thanks Nick!

Hey @Joe Garvin , I also use Mailchimp for not only remarketing efforts but also for pre/post stay communication.  I also happen to use Evolve and I do run into issues from time to time with Airbnb guests as they use the encrypted email which sometimes doesn't work with what Mailchimp sent.  I need to add some language and logic to tell them to go into Mailchimp and make sure their info is accurate (put their real email) as well as it confirms we can use their info in the future.

@Joe Garvin I haven’t felt the need to do anything like this as were always booked solid. If we get a repeat guest I go back to previous reservation to make sure they left 5 stars. If they didn’t, I won’t let them come back and suggest they find somewhere they think is 5 star worthy. Only had this happen once. No one is going to come back to a place they didn’t think was perfect.

@Jon Crosby for airbnb guests, where we don't have emails, one option is to send them SMS texts and briefly invite them to opt in to receive specials and new destination vacation homes when that's the case.

That coded airbnb email, even when it's valid, does not allow to carry URLs inside the email anyway. I have never tried but I think it goes through their filters and URLs are removed. My 2 cents.

@Mike V.  I LOVE it when they leave 4 stars and say in the review “cant wait to come back” wth? Would you leave 4 stars on Amazon and purchase that product again? No. 

You’re not welcome here anymore dude. 

Yesterday I had a guy leave 4 stars with a good review so I reached out. He said the bedroom was “damp and musty like a tent.” I checked the thermostat. It was set on 75! I wrote back and said of course it was musty you had the thermostat on 75 “none of us touched the thermostat.”  Well no crap that’s your problem! You’ve got to turn the air conditioner on if you don’t want it to be hot! 

I gets penalized for someone else’s stupidity. And even in the end he was too stupid to figure out he’s stupid. He thought I was trying to tell him he messed up the stat by touching it so he said “I didn’t touch it”.   That’s my point! If you were smart enough to touch it you could have saved me a 4 star! 

AND he kept saying how they can’t wait to come back and if it’s not musty next time they’ll leave 5 stars!!!!! You’re not coming back dude. Bye bye. 

Anyone want to buy a cabin in the mountains that grosses 60k a year????? 

Originally posted by @Kevin Lefeuvre :

@Jon Crosby for airbnb guests, where we don't have emails, one option is to send them SMS texts and briefly invite them to opt in to receive specials and new destination vacation homes when that's the case.

That coded airbnb email, even when it's valid, does not allow to carry URLs inside the email anyway. I have never tried but I think it goes through their filters and URLs are removed. My 2 cents.

Hi Kevin,

I always try to figure out how to make contact with the guest and get their personal email rather than correspond thru the AirBnB assigned email.  It has worked so far!

Like the others before, I also recommend MailChimp.  For free (under 2 thousand subscribers, 12 thousand emails / month), you can track stats like opens, bounces, click-through from email.  Additionally each email allows the receiver to opt-out of future MailChimp emails, however they'll still be able to receive notifications from your CMS.