Orlando Short Term Rental

Orlando Short Term Rental

Investor · Windham, ME · Member since 2016 · 180 posts · 37 votes

Looking to buy condo in Orlando. Looking for the right one. Price/deal isnt the most important, i want to find something that will rent consistently with A+ staff and  amenities. Hoping it will cash flow, but at the very least if it pays for itself, ill be pleased. Looking at WorldQuest, looked like a nice resort. Any feedback very much appreciated!

0Reply
249 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Broker · Kissimmee, FL · Member since 2016 · 35 posts · 25 votes
7y
Originally posted by @Matthew Wright:

@Michael Peach Probably a 20% down scenario. Even if it just carries itself, Id be pleased.

Hi Matthew, all of this is just my opinion so take it with a pinch of salt but if I was in your position this is what I would be thinking/doing. I can't cover everything but I will attempt to summarize.

Having the condo wash it's face is your target and if you do better than that be very happy. With financing most people will be losing money. When you speak to other owners they will never tell you that, but they are. 

I would be looking to find a unit that I can add value to with new paint, kitchen upgrade, better furniture etc. As many bedrooms as my price point allows and as close to Disney as possible, Windsor Hills, Windsor Palms or similar near there. Preferably south facing balcony with some sort of view. (Guests will probably never go out there but it looks good in photos.)

Except in general terms I would disregard any specific booking information from the current owner. There are a multitude of reasons why your experience will be different. 

DO NOT USE A FULL SERVICE MANAGEMENT COMPANY. 90% chance you will not make money. I don't care if you look at their calendars and they have more bookings. The owner is only getting a fraction of that money and their unit is high traffic (Getting beat up.) 

Once you find a suitable condo get to work. Families are your target. Mom will check the kitchen, dad will check the TV/lounge, kids will check their space, the bedrooms and the pool. Make the place as special as you can on your budget. Granite counters, new appliances, big flat screen TV, fast internet, themed kids bedrooms with XBox/Playstation etc. Make everything as new as possible and do not over personalize.

Get yourself registered for taxes, PAY YOUR OWN BILLS (It is the best way to check if anyone has been in the unit you don't know about.) I would personally get a small mom and pop management company but if you can find a reliable cleaner and handyman who will go to the unit at a drop of a hat for you by all means give it a go.

When the condo is ready have photos done. DO NOT SKIMP ON PHOTOS! (I know a great guy if you want his details) Photos sell your unit.

Learn how to book your own condo out, listing sites, social media, off line marketing etc. Learn seasons (TIP: follow Disney), pricing etc. This is your business, treat it as such. Marketing etc is a huge subject so learn it yourself.

IF YOU AND YOUR FAMILY ARE COMING TO DISNEY DO NOT COME AT PEAK TIMES. Give your kids a week off from school and come after the first week of January or May or September. Also DO NOT DISCOUNT FAMILY MEMBERS OR FRIENDS especially if they are coming at peak times. They have to understand you have expenses.

Hopefully you will be successful but if you're not don't find a full service management company to take the pressure off. You will still most likely be losing money. If you stop enjoying it and it isn't working either sell the condo (Which you should be able to do as you have added value previously) or flip it over to LTR. (You will be inundated with LTR inquiries as Disney staff need to be near work)

Remember that new homes look great but you will be paying a premium (Unless you can get one where a deal has fallen through maybe.) and it will never look better than the first day you own it.

This is all general advice and opinion but it is what I would do.

HTH.

Oh, and if you are sitting reading this thinking, "That's a lot of work" then don't do it. Just book your vacation in someone else's condo. :)

See this reply in the discussion

53 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2019 · 9 posts · 8 votes
    7y

    @Account Closed I live in Davenport and I believe there is a lot of opportunity here. It's only minutes away from Disney and away from the congestion of International Drive. Have you researched this area? I am actually new at STR and trying to find good alternatives. You are right about cash buyers... there are a lot of people from the North purchasing cash around here. Also people from Canada that can get much lower interest rates at home and purchase cash in Central Florida.

  • Longmont, CO · Member since 2018 · 105 posts · 79 votes
    7y

    I have 5 properties in the Disney area but I focus on single family homes. 

    Shoot me a PM if I can help you. 

    Sid

  • Luke CarlPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Tennessee Florida · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    7y

    @Matthew Wright @Chai Xiong is who you want!

  • Member since 2019 · 9 posts · 8 votes
    7y

    @Account Closed On 5+ bdr what communities do you suggest in Davenport. Champions Gate, Providence, Soltera? or any others?

    Thanks for the great info!

  • Member since 2019 · 9 posts · 8 votes
    7y

    Sorry, I just realized that you mentioned Windsor Hills, but have you researched others?

  • Investor · Windham, ME · Member since 2016 · 180 posts · 37 votes
    7y

    @Account Closed Thanks, thats helpful! SFR is certainly an option, I just like idea of gated/clubhouse/bar etc. and I would think its easier to manage a condo vs. SFR long distance

  • Member since 2019 · 9 posts · 8 votes
    7y

    @Matthew Wright Most communities resort type (with Single Family Homes) that allow for STR are gated and have spectacular clubhouses, golf courses, bars, restaurants, tennis courts, etc.

  • Investor · Windham, ME · Member since 2016 · 180 posts · 37 votes
    7y

    @Ariadne Latorre ok gotcha. Good to know. I would imagine there's a price difference between SFR and condos in similar class communities? And do you think SFR rent for more compared to condo?

  • Rental Property Investor · Kissimmee, FL · Member since 2019 · 25 posts · 14 votes
    7y

    @Sid Payne @Account Closed and others, we are looking for our second Kissimmee rental and are looking for attached housing in the "first ring" around Disney. Oakwater, Windsor Hills condos and Regal Oaks condos are on my radar, but the prices are stupid right now. Do any of you work with someone local that might have a line on pre-market opportunities or even destressed (if such a thing exists in this market..)

    Thanks!

  • Investor · Windham, ME · Member since 2016 · 180 posts · 37 votes
    7y

    @Carter F. Im pretty much in the same boat as you, except this would be my first...

  • Member since 2019 · 9 posts · 8 votes
    7y

    @Matthew Wright I basically am a rookie! I don't want to mislead you, I just know that most resorts here have great amenities and there are resorts that even have townhomes in addition to Single Family Homes. Communities such as Champions Gate have 25% STR permits and the rest are Residential which makes a good balance, nevertheless prices are high and it really depends on the intention. If you want to own your vacation home close to Disney and also be able to do STR then that might be an option. As you can see from other experts' comments, prices might be high. Again, I am not an expert in Central Florida and do not want to mislead you. I myself am trying to do more research as I live here and want to work on the STR and Management side of the Real Estate Business.

  • Rental Property Investor · Kissimmee, FL · Member since 2019 · 25 posts · 14 votes
    7y

    Thanks for the replies so far. I'd like to gather a group of Kissimmee "wanna be" experts so we can stay in touch and share insights. The market is big enough for some cooperation I think!

  • Rental Property Investor · San Jose, CA · Member since 2019 · 78 posts · 23 votes
    7y

    Hi everyone,

    Pretty newbie here. I’m also looking for my first vacation/rental in Orlando area. Looking forward to hearing more!

    Cheers,

    Stan

  • Investor · Windham, ME · Member since 2016 · 180 posts · 37 votes
    7y

    In Kissimmee, is vacancy rate typically low enough to expect cash flow if youre buying in mid 100's (at he right resort)? 

  • boston, MA · Member since 2019 · 45 posts · 6 votes
    7y

    also looking in this area and @Sid Payne was awesome enough to send me good info. I'm actually seeing alot of reasonable stuff in Windsor hills from 200-250 now the problem is finding a full service property manager...hope to be headed down that way soon to see some in person!

  • Rental Property Investor · Orlando, FL · Member since 2018 · 301 posts · 354 votes
    7y

    @Matthew Wright as you are researching make sure you are making the drive to Disney. While Davenport (and Clermont where I have a LTR) may be “just minutes from Disney” it is 30 MINUTES...a bit misleading to me. I have a property in south Clermont that is about the same distance as Davenport from Disney and in my opinion it is to far for a vacation rental. The closer the better!

  • New York City, NY · Member since 2016 · 470 posts · 348 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:

    @Ariadne Latorre

    Yes very familiar with the whole area. Davenport was great for a while but all the new construction going in is making it really hard for the older homes to compete and many owners are not willing to do what it takes to keep up with them. The prices on new construction are too high to support the rental rates. I think for single family Davenport is a viable option if you do 5+ bedroom homes but on this case he wants a condo and there’s not a lot of opportunity in Davenport for that unless you want to do Regal Palms for Bahama Bay, both of which are way to competitive. My research has shown that the sweet Spot is 34747 in a 5+ bedroom home (Windsor Hills) but for condo, stay as close to Disney as possible.

    Thanks Daria!! I'm seeing a lot of nice Windsor Hills 5+ bedroom homes listed btwn $300-400k. Is that what you're talking about? What kind of STR income would that generate? And does Windsor Hills have an HOA? Any talks of the HOA banning STR? Typically nice upscale neighborhoods like that frown upon STR

  • boston, MA · Member since 2019 · 45 posts · 6 votes
    7y

    @Carter F. i'd be interested!

  • Rental Property Investor · San Jose, CA · Member since 2019 · 78 posts · 23 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Carter F.:

    Thanks for the replies so far. I'd like to gather a group of Kissimmee "wanna be" experts so we can stay in touch and share insights. The market is big enough for some cooperation I think!

     Please include me!

    I also hear more and more cities are restricting STR. Any thoughts?

  • Rental Property Investor · Kissimmee, FL · Member since 2019 · 25 posts · 14 votes
    7y

    @Stanley Nguyen Kissimmee Celebration and the greater Disney area live off of tourism. I think they would be the last place to clamp down on STR

  • Real Estate Broker · Kissimmee, FL · Member since 2016 · 35 posts · 25 votes
    7y

    Absolutely no chance of Windsor Hills banning short term rentals, the whole community is STR. Osceola, Polk, Lake are also completely pro STR.

    Ive been here 15 years managing STR homes and there are far more losers than winners so if you need any info I am quite happy to give it to you warts and all.

    I love the place but you have to be prepared to work at it yourself, keep everything up to date and not listen to anyone who tells you it is easy.

    Most people shouldn't do it.

  • Investor · The worst town to live in, KS · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    7y

    I don't know the above guy ^^^ with 7 posts, but he is spot on correct.  It isn't easy.  Most people shouldn't do it.

  • Real Estate Broker · Kissimmee, FL · Member since 2016 · 35 posts · 25 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Carter F.:

    @Stanley Nguyen Kissimmee Celebration and the greater Disney area live off of tourism. I think they would be the last place to clamp down on STR

    Agree Carter except that 'officially' you can't rent STR in Celebration as I understand it.

  • Real Estate Broker · Kissimmee, FL · Member since 2016 · 35 posts · 25 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Paul Sandhu:

    I don't know the above guy ^^^ with 7 posts, but he is spot on correct.  It isn't easy.  Most people shouldn't do it.

    Hi Paul, I keep trying to post here more often but other things get in the way. I will do my best to bring my own personal brand of cynicism/realism here more often in the future.  :)

  • Real Estate Broker · Kissimmee, FL · Member since 2016 · 35 posts · 25 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Matthew Wright:

    In Kissimmee, is vacancy rate typically low enough to expect cash flow if youre buying in mid 100's (at he right resort)? 

     Depends. Are you cash or financing?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.