Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Cheryl Schlehuber
  • Investor
  • Saint Ignace, MI
Votes |
Short Term Rentals, "The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly"

Cheryl Schlehuber
  • Investor
  • Saint Ignace, MI
Posted Aug 5 2019, 18:11

One day in 1997 when I was pretty new to the business, I wanted to buy a home on an area lake.  I knew, the only way I could afford it was to rent it part of the year. Michigan, 4 seasons right?  but up north in the U.P. in this beautiful tourist town near Mackinac Island, a very short season for these type rentals.  So I bought, and I rented and discovered VRBO in its infancy, I believe I was one of the first 100 ever to register. Yes that dates me for sure.  Over the years, I became a broker, branched out,  started my own real estate company, became pretty successful, had enough personal rentals to buy software and gloss it up.  It's small town, I built a good business, was and am a reputable business owner/ broker and eventually a new branch of property management. Created a position just to manage the rentals.  No one at that time was doing it....today, everyone is doing it and many can do it on their own...(I'm truly thankful for that).... Still, I remember another successful broker telling me the best day of his life was when he sold his property management business.    Today, I totally confess, he had a valid argument.  This morning, a couple calls came in from a few neighbors, some were older clients, a friend of my husband,  clients that know and trust me and told me that they don't feel this beautifully restored vintage home that is wedged between theirs and just became a short term rental, should rent short term.....and I couldn't agree more.  But hey, it's my clients right to own, zoning doesn't prohibit in this quiet residential neighborhood.  The houses are close together. People are on vacation, they are having fun, they aren't thinking about the neighbor who has to get up to work the next morning, or the senior who want's to hear the birds in the morning, not a basketball at 7am or the crew arriving home at midnight.   I know this topic is a HOT button and the Mich. Board of Realtors is defending the rights of property owners.... I'm with them!  but I'm also with the right to a peaceful existence .   I can confidently say most of my weekend enjoyment is compromised by after hour calls with every possible problem that exists to mankind AND I could write a pretty dicey book...  I will always preach the investment opportunity that is available to us, I wouldn't be where I am without it.....however, I am more than ever writing my exit plan from it...... (as is my husband, writing it for me) :):)  It will surely be on the planning commission agenda to limit these in certain neighborhoods, possibly the law will eventually allow, or not....The hotels and motels hate them, but they are BIG business and bring in a massive amount of money that will go elsewhere if not allowed. ..it's the way many of us expect to travel today..These properties also are taxed at a non-homestead rate so for every rental, the city, village 

Northern Michigan Vacation RentalsLeBarbe Blue

or township will collect 40% more in tax base......so there's the good , the bad, and the ugly...  Love to hear your take on this.

Loading replies...