• Investor
  • North Myrtle Beach SC
Votes |
STVR- Renters Won’t Communicate

Jeffrey Hillen
  • Investor
  • North Myrtle Beach SC
Posted Jul 13 2020, 17:42

Hey all, I’m new to this and am self managing remotely. The first two renters were great and gave 5 star reviews on AirBnB. My last renter did not respond to any method of contact. My electronic lock was opened over 100 times in one day. My cleaners confirmed no damage so maybe this can happen... any advice on someone with similar experiences and what you do differently?

Also, I’ve had great success on AirBnB but not one message on VRBO. Anybody know of any suggestions to get more traction on this platform besides pricing?

User Stats

Votes
Chris Gottshall
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Portland, OR
Votes |
  • Portland, OR
Replied Jul 13 2020, 17:50

@Jeffrey Hillen I've had guests like you describe before, as well. Not often, thankfully. Rate them appropriately for Communication when you leave your review, and mention in the private notes that it is customary and appreciated by hosts when guests acknowledge receiving messages, even if it just an "OK" or "Thanks" response.

User Stats

Votes
John Underwood
Pro Member
#1 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Investor
  • Greer, SC
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Investor
  • Greer, SC
Replied Jul 13 2020, 18:10
Did you try calling them during their stay? I usually do this.
Sometimes people just wont respond and will not leave a review.

I get almost all my reservations via Vrbo and and very few on Airbnb.

Go onto Vrbo with out logging in and do a search and see where you fall in the search list.

See what the top listing have and see if there is anything you can duplicate to get your search results higher.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Mark Miles
  • Philadelphia, PA
Votes |
  • Philadelphia, PA
Replied Jul 13 2020, 19:04
Originally posted by @Jeffrey Hillen:

Hey all, I’m new to this and am self managing remotely. The first two renters were great and gave 5 star reviews on AirBnB. My last renter did not respond to any method of contact. My electronic lock was opened over 100 times in one day. My cleaners confirmed no damage so maybe this can happen... any advice on someone with similar experiences and what you do differently?

Also, I’ve had great success on AirBnB but not one message on VRBO. Anybody know of any suggestions to get more traction on this platform besides pricing?

You’re doing great so far! Some guests just don’t want to talk to anyone when they’re on vacation, that’s all, no big deal. As for them opening your locks so much... I have some big houses and sometimes the locks will get open and close 100 times in an hour. Especially if there’s kids who were running in and outside a lot, it’s no big deal, it sounds like you’re doing great, don’t overthink things!

Location can determine Airbnb versus VRBO, again something else that I wouldn’t really sweat, sounds like you’re doing great

User Stats

Votes
Jon Crosby
  • Investor
  • Rocklin, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Rocklin, CA
Replied Jul 13 2020, 19:41

Hi @Jeffrey Hillen, first rule of owning an STR...don't fall in love with your STR. : ) Were you trying to get a hold them just because they opened the lock 100 times, because I'm guessing there are no rules against that in your rental agreement. And kids will play with those locks for hours sometimes and just part of owning an STR that has kids there (if that was the case).

When we got our first STR (which was remote) we would watch it like a hawk on our monitoring systems, like it was our baby or something...but you just can't do that...you will drive yourself crazy and eventually you will need to start thinking of it as a income producing asset (with operating costs) rather then your second home. Doesn't mean you shouldn't respect it and take care of it or anything, just means you have to look at it as an investment...not a piece of personal property (if possible).

Guests are on vacation and really don't want to be bothered, nor do they want to bother you at the same time.  Obviously if there are complaints coming from the neighbors and they are not responding that is a different story, but that is where you need to have 'boots on the ground' locally to handle those rare situations. 

Don't worry though, you are experiencing the same thing all of us have gone thru with our first STR and you will get your bearings soon enough. As others mentioned, don't worry about where your bookings are coming from, so long as your occupancy rate is a high as possible.

Best of luck!

User Stats

Votes
Mark Futalan
  • La Quinta, CA
Votes |
  • La Quinta, CA
Replied Jul 13 2020, 21:42

Every now and then you do get guests who don't really communicate while you might have some that overly communicate lol. It comes with the territory when managing STR's. Your dealing with different people with numerous personalities. You can typically gauge someone's communication level during the initial reservation period. Did they clearly provide a welcome message and indicate their plans? How quickly do they respond to follow up questions? Did you feel like the guest was engaged in the conversation? Most guests are on vacation and really don't want to talk to hosts all day but a standard check in and follow up is always good on your end.

User Stats

Votes
Jeffrey Hillen
  • Investor
  • North Myrtle Beach SC
Votes |
  • Investor
  • North Myrtle Beach SC
Replied Jul 14 2020, 03:37

Thanks everyone for your insight. Most of you are right; I can’t get attached because I bought this as an income producing asset. My method of communication was sending out the welcome packet via e-mail, a message on the platform to confirm they received the information, a text on arrival wishing them a great time and to let me know if anything is needed, and a departure text to thank them for staying and asking for a review if they had a great time.

I believe moving forward I’ll do better but it was hard when my phone seemed to constantly buzz what felt like all day long and not think the worst. The good news is... the payment cleared ✅.

For places like beach getaways, what rule of thumb are you using for net income? It looks like I’ll be in the $2,800 profit for July after deducting all expenses.

User Stats

Votes
Rachel Hughes
  • Investor
  • Idaho Falls, ID
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Idaho Falls, ID
Replied Jul 14 2020, 05:17

Hah when I first read the title of the post I was like... I wish I had this problem. Most of my guests over-communicate. This probably means you did a great job communicating everything they needed to know. 

Last year my husband and I traveled for 8 months straight and stayed in tons of Airbnbs. After awhile you just get tired of sending "fluff" messages and writing reviews. Younger folks like a more independent/hands off experience. I'd consider this a good thing. 

$2,800 in profit from one property is amazing!! Great job. 

User Stats

Votes
Missy Luce
  • New to Real Estate
  • Chattanooga, TN
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • Chattanooga, TN
Replied Nov 19 2020, 15:58

Jeffrey, how did you procure local housekeeping and maintenance?  We have a home on Tybee, just a bit south of you, managed by vacasa.  I love the regional mgrs, but housekeeping has been a small disaster.  Their commission is the only thing keeping me from making a profit, but the thought of managing remotely on my own 300 miles away is intimidating.  What was your process for finding help?

User Stats

Votes
Jeffrey Hillen
  • Investor
  • North Myrtle Beach SC
Votes |
  • Investor
  • North Myrtle Beach SC
Replied Feb 16 2021, 17:23

Hello Missy, sorry for not replying to this until now.

I secured the property and realized I needed a handy man and a cleaning company... really just asked my realtor and called people via google searches.

9 months later I would not hire a property manager. I find with a remote lock and turn key housekeeper, the headaches have been minimal and manageable without the fee. I pay $212 for a turnover clean in a 4 bed townhome which includes linens towels and soaps. 

I’m looking for another property so if anyone has something in NMB let me know!