Rental Property Investor · Inlet Beach, FL · Member since 2019 · 91 posts · 32 votes
I’ve stayed a couple places and upon leaving the owner mentioned to contact them directly (vs booking through VRBO or ABNB) if we wanted to come back. Wondering how you deal with return guests and why you would do this vs having them just book through the platform itself.
Also, what about family and friends? We’re new to the game wondering the easiest way to deal with this? Give us dates before “prime season” and block the dates ahead of time? What about payment? PayPal or similar?
Rental Property Investor · Tennessee Florida · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 5k+ votes
5y
@Wesley Myers
I have a ZERO friends and family policy. Burned too many times. They make THE worst guests.
I also believe if you’re hanging out with people that want to stay in one of your properties at a discount it’s time to level up your friends 😂
Past guests -I don’t have an issue with giving a couple bucks off but it’s been ages since Ive needed to.... they don’t ask. I also don’t allow off platform bookings at this time. Maybe some day.
Rental Property Investor · Tennessee Florida · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 5k+ votes
5y
@Wesley Myers
I have a ZERO friends and family policy. Burned too many times. They make THE worst guests.
I also believe if you’re hanging out with people that want to stay in one of your properties at a discount it’s time to level up your friends 😂
Past guests -I don’t have an issue with giving a couple bucks off but it’s been ages since Ive needed to.... they don’t ask. I also don’t allow off platform bookings at this time. Maybe some day.
Investor · The worst town to live in, KS · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
5y
I let them hunt deer on my property. If that doesn't tickle their fancy, I invite them to a keggor at my house. There are usually 1-2 every month. I've got 3 kegorators. 1 at a big 3 story house and 2 in my garage.
Investor · Malvern, PA · Member since 2014 · 108 posts · 42 votes
5y
@Luke Carl I 110% agree with you the worst tenant is family and /or friend. There is no discount this is a business. Made the mistake once and it will never happen again. It was someone who was a friend and they invited several friends of ours and theirs down. We found out later on. My son and his buddies didn't understand why I would not rent to them for "Senior Week". Several years later they all understand especially my son. If you want them as friends say NO.................................
Investor · The worst town to live in, KS · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
5y
Had some first time renters that were mouthy and asking for a discount. I told them I would not set the house on fire when they were asleep, that is the discount. They stfu after that.
Rental Property Investor · Tallahassee, FL · Member since 2018 · 19 posts · 24 votes
5y
I have return guests ask to book direct and have always been hesitant to do that, we use Airbnb and VRBO. I worry about the liability and also booking stays in excess of 28 days. I've read some of the forums that say in Florida this will turn into a long term tenant at that time and the landlord laws come into play.
@John Underwood - how do you handle this situation? Do you have a contract that they sign?
I have return guests ask to book direct and have always been hesitant to do that, we use Airbnb and VRBO. I worry about the liability and also booking stays in excess of 28 days. I've read some of the forums that say in Florida this will turn into a long term tenant at that time and the landlord laws come into play.
@John Underwood - how do you handle this situation? Do you have a contract that they sign?
Sometimes I'll get an attorney and they want a contract so I put together a one page document with the relevant facts and they are happy.
For everyone else I use email to confirm the details.
I still have my STR insurance policy.
I also have control of the thermostats and water heater via wifi. I would make it unpleasant for someone that overstayed their welcome.
I have been doing this for about 10 years and have never had any cause for concern about someone not leaving when they were supposed to.
I have a fishing team staying at the house that are in a tournament. They sent me a check for the deposit, a month before there stay they sent me the balance. I sent them the door code a few days before their stay.
They trusted me not to scam them and keep their money and I trust them to take care of the house and leave at the end of their tournament. No worries.
Rental Property Investor · Tennessee Florida · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 5k+ votes
5y
@Kathy Lindsay. Anything over 28 days you must have them sign a lease or you will regret it. Remember..... a lease can be for any period of time it doesn’t need to be for a year
Rental Property Investor · Campbell, CA · Member since 2017 · 419 posts · 499 votes
5y
@Wesley Myers the benefit of booking ‘direct’ is their avoidance of booking fees. A typical 7 night stay in one of my rentals will be a ‘maximum vrbo fee’ of $499. It’s less on Airbnb but owners basically split it with the guest (not 50/50 but owners still pay per booking).
So when guests ask I mention them avoiding service fees and they are usually happy.