Gotta watch out for guests sometimes

8 Replies

One of my houses has 4 bedrooms but we only use 2 as sleeping rooms so as to discourage the larger party groups (we made the others a yoga room and an office). And we price it accordingly lower.

So I had a young lady do an Instant Booking a couple months ago for her and 3 of her friends. I instantly messaged her and said "hey thanks for booking but I notice you have 4 people and we only have 2 beds, are you sure our place is right for you?" She said " oh that's ok, we'll just share beds or whatever"

Fast forward to this weekend...she checks in and I immediately get a message saying " Do you have any fans? The upstairs yoga room where I'll be sleeping is kinda warm". I shot back " it is only a 2 bedroom house, the upstairs rooms are not meant for sleeping, remember we had this conversation?"

She backed down right away, but ya just gotta be careful with some people, always trying to take advantage.....I suppose I'll rent to her again if she asks, but go over the arrangements again. They're leaving today, so once I get down there and check the condition of the house I'll know more.

Would you rent to her again (if the house is in great shape)?

I would rent to her again.  But then again I'm pretty loose with my standards for people I rent to.  They are mainly refinery contractors.  Welders, fitters, boilermakers.  They are big burly guys that smell like diesel fuel, drive jacked up 4x4s, have neck tats and chew tobacco for breakfast.  Wait, that sounds like me except for the tats.

Yes if house is in good shape I would rent to her.

My philosophy is the more people a house can sleep the more you can charge. The more expensive your house, it tends to bring a higher class of renter. That's my experience after many years of doing this.

Promotion
Ashcroft Capital
A national multifamily investment firm
Three Reasons Investors May Prefer Real Estate
Read three reasons why investing in real estate private placements may provide several advantages.
Read More Here

I would agree with the others. People end up parking themselves all over the place. If the house rules are followed and the place looks good, I would give them 5 stars and let the bedroom snafu go.

I am not sure why you wouldn't allow sleeping in the other bedrooms @Bruce Woodruff . Our house sleeps 10 in 4 bedrooms. Now we are out of town and cater to families so that keeps the partier's away.

On this place if you are really concerned about parties, I would not allow instant booking. Ask some pertinent questions when people request to book and then you can judge how things will go.

We don't instant book anyone. I have a conversation with each guest. I ask have they been to the area before, will they be bringing a dog and if they are celebrating any special occasion. This gives me an idea of the kind of people they are as well as showing them that I am interested in making sure they have a great time. Win-Win!

I will say we get an inordinate amount of scam requests and if we had instant booking on, we would have problems.

Originally posted by @Michael Baum :

I am not sure why you wouldn't allow sleeping in the other bedrooms @Bruce Woodruff. Our house sleeps 10 in 4 bedrooms. Now we are out of town and cater to families so that keeps the partier's away.

We were going to when we bought the place.....but then one of our friends who's done STR for 5 years made the comment "8 people sounds like a party to me" - and that made us think. Rather make, say $120 nightly instead of $190, but only clean up after 4 max instead of 8-10. Less beds to make, less messes, less wear and tear, everything is less.

And we are close to a party area in this little town where people come from far away to party.....

So far our decision has been the right one. Sometimes less is more......

Happy ending! These young ladies were in town for the big annual rodeo and when I went down to check it out and clean for the next guest coming in today, I was pleasantly surprised to find the place absolutely spotless! So I sent her a message inviting them back next year and offering to figure something out for the upstairs 'bedrooms'.

Originally posted by @Bruce Woodruff :

Happy ending! These young ladies were in town for the big annual rodeo and when I went down to check it out and clean for the next guest coming in today, I was pleasantly surprised to find the place absolutely spotless! So I sent her a message inviting them back next year and offering to figure something out for the upstairs 'bedrooms'.

I would send them a Chippendales dancer for a 30 minute show.  Some of my tenants did the same thing with 2 female dancers and a bodyguard from the club they would normally work at.  $200/hour plus they didn't have to buy beer in the club.