STR in Myrtle Beach with no grill

16 Replies

So we are staying in a beach front STR house.

The list of amenities clearly states they have a charcoal grill.

Hanging in the house are the house rules which talk about the grill.

Guess what? No grill.

The guy says most people rent a grill. Say what?

He just says sorry no grill.

Do you say anything in the review?

I am not happy about the situation at all.

Other than than the house is good other than we had to bring our own linens and towels but we knew that going in at least.

I tried to post screen shots but it's not working.

Yes, you should point it out in the review. You gave the guy a chance to supply one for you as promised in his listing, and he's being a jerk.  I don't even know where you would rent a grill, never heard of that.

Yes, I would say something and the guys should correct his listing.   Rent a grill?   I've never heard of that.  lol      And bring your own linens and towels?   Whatever....

So if you booked on Airbnb and you call them, they’ll coerce him to refund you some money. Either way, you’ll both give bad reviews. Do you care? Guests can make new accounts easily. On VRBO, not so sure how it’ll play out. You can probably buy one from Ace hardware, take it home and put a spare grill at your lake house. Good luck either way.

Buy a grill.  Leave it there.  Deduct your cost from the fee.  Send them the receipt.   If they don't like that arrangement I would threaten them with violence.  That is my method.  My method may not work for you.

Give 'em what they deserve. Bad customer service and bad advertising warrants a brutal review. Rake 'em across the coals!

Or negotiate and try to get a discount. I'd print a screenshot and send to the owner of the listing and tell them it's about to get real and there's going to be a big ol' fuss if they don't' do something to fix it. 

OR you're on vacation, it's just a grill and it's whatever man. Bigger things to worry about in life. 

you have options

I'd be pissed if I planned to use it, but I wouldn't raise my blood pressure over it.

Was everything else as promised on the listing?  I'd knock 2 stars off and state that the owner expects you to "rent a grill"...which everyone knows is not a thing!

@Alex S.

Everything else was as advertised.

He even said he could direct me to a place that rents grills.

What baffles me is why has no one else complained about this false advertising.

I sent him screen shots of where it cleared showed a grill was provided under amenities.

He blamed Airbnb for the misinformation.

I’d knock down a star for him not having what his listing advertised. Then, I’d check his listing to see if he updated it and if not, I’d probably knock down another star. Any host worth their salt would either apologize (no matter if it’s AirBnb’s fault or not, though I seriously doubt it) and offer a refund, then contact AirBnb to fix the problem, or do everything they could to get you a grill ASAP. We love grilling so I don’t blame you for being bummed and upset.

You're right @John Underwood if it said grill in the description he should have a grill. I love to grill, almost every night.... rain, snow, don't care, just give me a grill. You tried to be nice and he's being a jerk. I would punish him, maybe give him 3 stars, or maybe 2...

Rent a grill? What is he thinking....?

@John Underwood I have run multiple STR over the past 6 years in NYC, Jersey City and now Philadelphia. If it's a an honest mistake by the owner and you overall enjoyed your stay, I would not leave it as a part of the negative review. If this one of many issues / inconveniences, then I would mention in the review and let the owner / host know how they should improve their service for future guests

@John Underwood I would definitely mention that in the review so future guests are aware. If you like everything else about the place, just remember a 4 star review can be punishment enough in most cases. Anything worse than that can be really hard to come back from as a host.

Originally posted by @Adam David Graning :

@John Underwood I would definitely mention that in the review so future guests are aware. If you like everything else about the place, just remember a 4 star review can be punishment enough in most cases. Anything worse than that can be really hard to come back from as a host.

That is what I am leaning towards.

The house is good, but the owner doesn't have the attention to detail about the little things that we take care of at our Vrbo. I'm not going to ding him on any of that.

@John Underwood check the listing to see if he has corrected the mention of grill. He should have corrected this listing mistake as soon as you brought it to his attention. 

use this info to help gauge the stars you hold hostage in your review

@John Underwood

I would mention the grill not being there in your review since you tried to get resolution and he did not cooperate. If he provided a grill, I would have said leave it out or comment on the great customer service. You’ll save the next guest from the hassle.