AirBnB Bedrooms while I'm In The Living Room?

9 Replies

Thinking about doing this for extra income on a prospective property (Class A neighborhood, but tenant leasing below market rent and I'm out about $1000/mo after all expenses). Has anyone else done so? Security concerns/liabilities? From what I've seen, doesn't look like my municipality has short term rental restrictions or occupancy laws in their code, but not sure where to look in the ordinances for this or what it's referred to. 

Originally posted by @Joey Gorombey :

Thinking about doing this for extra income on a prospective property (Class A neighborhood, but tenant leasing below market rent and I'm out about $1000/mo after all expenses). Has anyone else done so? Security concerns/liabilities? From what I've seen, doesn't look like my municipality has short term rental restrictions or occupancy laws in their code, but not sure where to look in the ordinances for this or what it's referred to. 

It would be kind of weird having you sleep in the living room if the space didn't have it's own door. I would clearly state in your listing that "owner sleeps in the living room". People renting rooms will expect some use of common areas unless you clearly state otherwise. Overall the strategy could make you some money. Just be careful the weirdness doesn't negatively affect your reviews.

Promotion
Speed To Lead
Buy hot seller leads w/o subscription
Buy daily seller leads that are actually ready to sell
Finally there's a place where you can buy leads that asked for urgent help selling their house
Originally posted by @Joey Gorombey :

@Joe Splitrock Good point! I thought about erecting a cardboard barrier, or some other means of separation, similar to Craig Curelop. 

Just be aware that your success on AirBNB is completely tied to reviews. This seems like the kind of thing that could get some negative reviews, so make the barrier look nice. Cardboard sounds cheap. I had a tenant put up a temporary framed wall with sheetrock and they had a door. It would probably cost you $1000-2000 to do this depending on area. Well worth it to look more professional and get more $ per night.

I'm just gonna come out and say it because everyone is being polite. This is a horrible idea. No. Please no. Just sleep in a bedroom and rent out another like a normal person. 

@Joey Gorombey

Sounds unsustainable over the long term and if that’s the only way the deal will work it doesn’t sound like a good deal. Maybe if you could put an airstream or RV out back and live in that that may be more sustainable but I’d just be careful without having a separate private space. I know Craig Curelope did a podcast on his experience staying in a basement of his home in Denver while he Airbnb’d the rooms out.

Hey, @Joey Gorombey ! Seems like you're getting some mixed feedback here but it really comes down to how hungry YOU are to get cash flow and move on to your next house hacking property. If I was you, I would absolutely go with that strategy -- how long have you owned the property? How long would you have to do this model until you were ready to purchase your next house hack? 12 months (if that's how long it takes) is really not that long in the grand scheme of things and if it gets you closer to your next property... Go for it!

Check this reel out from Craig Curelop - he did exactly what you're talking about and became financially free after his 3rd property.