User Stats

Votes
Chad Pearson
Votes |
Sell High and Build High?

Chad Pearson
Posted Dec 5 2021, 06:52

Hello,

I understand the current real estate market and that home prices are selling at all-time highs and the cost of residential building is as well.  My situation is that I really want to move but the specific type of property I want (acreage in a specific school district) is really hard to find.

Is it wise to sell my existing home high (for almost $200k more than I built it for) and then build at a high cost?  I understand that equity will balance out, but what about when it comes time to sell?  If I'm forced to sell for less than I built it for, that equity goes away, right?  Sorry for the ignorant question and thank you for your time.

Chad

User Stats

Votes
Michael P.
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Dallas, TX
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Dallas, TX
Replied Dec 5 2021, 07:56

Chad,

Yes, if you build a new home and then sell it for less than you built it for you will have a loss.  So Yes, some of the equity will evaporate.  

It's wise if you want to live on the specific type of property you mention.  Quality of life has more benefits then just a $ number associated with equity in your home.  

Good Luck

User Stats

Votes
Greg Parker
Property Manager
  • Realtor
  • Montgomery, AL
Votes |
Property Manager
  • Realtor
  • Montgomery, AL
Replied Dec 5 2021, 08:05

Sell it.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Chad Pearson
Votes |
Replied Dec 8 2021, 08:02

Michael and Greg,

Thank you for the responses.  I've got my radar up for prospective properties and ready to pull the trigger should something come along.