HI Everyone! My wife and I have some money in our IRAs and was thinking about using it to invest in real estate. Looking for any recommendations for custodians in AZ that specialize in self directed IRA's for real estate. Any suggestions would be great :)
There are many. Check our sensefinancial.com or mysolo401k.net. I tend to favor solo 401k over self directed IRAs personally but do some research on both. Lots of reasons to do this as the benefits are tremendous. Message me if you want to chat more on the topic. I use this strategy currently via solo401k. The only thing is to avoid making any disqualified transactions either direct or indirect to remain compliant.
There are many. Check our sensefinancial.com or mysolo401k.net. I tend to favor solo 401k over self directed IRAs personally but do some research on both. Lots of reasons to do this as the benefits are tremendous. Message me if you want to chat more on the topic. I use this strategy currently via solo401k. The only thing is to avoid making any disqualified transactions either direct or indirect to remain compliant.
While a solo 401k or an IRA can both be invested in real estate, the funds cannot be used to invest in a property that you already own. The IRA and solo 401k also may not be used to pay rehab costs on a property that you already personally own.
However, you can borrow from the solo 401k through a participant loan and can use those funds however you wish including for improving a property that you may already own.
Following are the similarities and differences between the solo 401k and the self-directed IRA.
The Self-Directed IRA and Solo 401k Similarities
The Self-Directed IRA and Solo 401k Differences
Thanks for the help! I'll definitely look into those :)
The self-directed IRA is a great way to invest retirement funds into real estate. If you have self-employment activity, the Solo 401k is even better. You can transfer IRA assets into a self-directed Solo 401k.
Compared to an IRA, Solo 401k contributions limits are roughly 10 times higher and there is no custodial requirement for the 401k. You can take participant loans from the 401k, you don't need the additional expense and administration of an LLC to have checkbook control, and there is a built in-Roth component if you'd like to make tax-free investments. A spouse can also participate in the same plan, there are additional tax benefits compared to an IRA, and there is generally greater privacy. Finally, the plans are often quicker to setup and cost less money over time especially compared to most IRA LLCs. Just some food for thought.
I ended up going with with a local company - selfdirectedretirementplans llc. It was pretty fast to set up. I went with a self directed 401k. If you haven't already created an account, I would at least give these folks a call.