WANTED: An Honest RE Mentor in Los Angeles

9 Replies

Hi BiggerPockets Team!

My wife and I are getting into Real Estate Investing in Los Angeles. We have always heard to get a mentor we should either bring them money or bring them deals. We are tight in the money department (though we are also looking to invest our Solo 401(k) in tax liens, etc for our retirement). But what we do have is time and skills: My wife is getting her RE Agent license now and I am a Graphic Designer, Illustrator and jack-of-all-trades in advertising. She will start work at an agency within the next two months and I will continue to work my day job and weekend job to help pay for things.

Is anyone willing to take on a couple of newbies who are gung-ho about real estate? We would love to learn how to flip and wholesale as well as buy and hold. We just need the practice and guidance to get us started. We're making headway in our journey to REI success and have been tempted by "gurus" who want our money...we've been to a high-pressure sales pitch seminar and walked away with our wallets still secure. ;)

If you can point us in the right direction or make a suggestion on a meetup group to join, we will take action. Thanks All!

You should check out the local REIA clubs in your area for education and networking. You will have a hard time finding a true mentor as the people who you would want to be around are usually too busy and the ones that do have the time are looking for your money.

Good luck

Curt Davis, Real Estate Agent in TN (#00321765)
605-310-7929
John Hodson I am young and passionate like yourself and would love to help you in the buy and hold department. I've been doing this for about a year now and seen both good and bad. Their is so much to learn that you probably don't even realize. You can hear my story with recent podcast I did with Joe Fairless at ​ http://joefairless.com/blog/podcast/jf349-how-to-find-a-lender-to-suit-your-investing After that message me and let's connect. I am a big believer in "paying it forward"
Originally posted by @Curt Davis :

You should check out the local REIA clubs in your area for education and networking. You will have a hard time finding a true mentor as the people who you would want to be around are usually too busy and the ones that do have the time are looking for your money.

Good luck

Thanks Curt! My wife and I will look into REIA. Thanks for bringing it to my attention. I am realizing that the true mentors will need compensation for their time and I don't blame them. We definitely don't want to throw our money away for information that is not helpful or too advanced for where we are at. Thanks!

Originally posted by @Brian Gibbons :
Originally posted by @Dmitriy Fomichenko:

John, you should reach out to @Brian Gibbons, he is the expert I would recommend. 

Dmitriy Fomichenko, you are too kind.

@John Hodson

I give 30 min consultations for free

See what other BP Members say about me

http://www.biggerpockets.com/search?utf8=%E2%9C%93...

Best wishes to you,

Brian

Studio City

 Thanks for the introduction Dmitriy!

Hi Brian, Yes, I will take you up on that offer. I'll message you. People have good things to say about you. Thanks!

Originally posted by @Account Closed :
John Hodson I am young and passionate like yourself and would love to help you in the buy and hold department. I've been doing this for about a year now and seen both good and bad. Their is so much to learn that you probably don't even realize. You can hear my story with recent podcast I did with Joe Fairless at http://joefairless.com/blog/podcast/jf349-how-to-find-a-lender-to-suit-your-investing After that message me and let's connect. I am a big believer in "paying it forward"

Hi Joey, I listened to your podcast and I appreciate your transparency on your experience in REI. I'll send you a message. Thank you for paying it forward. That's awesome.

@John Hodson

While I'm not located in Los Angeles, I'm located in San Diego so I would be happy to provide you with information regarding the solo 401k . For information regarding the solo 401k feel free to send me an email or call me; of course, I don't want to step on your self-directed solo 401k providers toes. I'm always happy to educate individual's on the solo 401k investment rules.

Originally posted by @Mark Nolan :

@John Hodson

While I'm not located in Los Angeles, I'm located in San Diego so I would be happy to provide you with information regarding the solo 401k . For information regarding the solo 401k feel free to send me an email or call me; of course, I don't want to step on your self-directed solo 401k providers toes. I'm always happy to educate individual's on the solo 401k investment rules.

 Thanks Mark! I sent you a colleague request. 

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.