Rental Property Investor · Montrose, CA · Member since 2015 · 77 posts · 11 votes
Hi BiggerPockets Team!
My wife and I are getting into Real Estate Investing in Los Angeles. We have always heard to get a mentor we should either bring them money or bring them deals. We are tight in the money department (though we are also looking to invest our Solo 401(k) in tax liens, etc for our retirement). But what we do have is time and skills: My wife is getting her RE Agent license now and I am a Graphic Designer, Illustrator and jack-of-all-trades in advertising. She will start work at an agency within the next two months and I will continue to work my day job and weekend job to help pay for things.
Is anyone willing to take on a couple of newbies who are gung-ho about real estate? We would love to learn how to flip and wholesale as well as buy and hold. We just need the practice and guidance to get us started. We're making headway in our journey to REI success and have been tempted by "gurus" who want our money...we've been to a high-pressure sales pitch seminar and walked away with our wallets still secure. ;)
If you can point us in the right direction or make a suggestion on a meetup group to join, we will take action. Thanks All!
Flipper/Rehabber · Memphis, TN · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
11y
You should check out the local REIA clubs in your area for education and networking. You will have a hard time finding a true mentor as the people who you would want to be around are usually too busy and the ones that do have the time are looking for your money.
Registered Nurse (ICU) · San Jose, CA · Member since 2014 · 496 posts · 332 votes
11y
John Hodson I am young and passionate like yourself and would love to help you in the buy and hold department. I've been doing this for about a year now and seen both good and bad. Their is so much to learn that you probably don't even realize. You can hear my story with recent podcast I did with Joe Fairless at
http://joefairless.com/blog/podcast/jf349-how-to-find-a-lender-to-suit-your-investing
After that message me and let's connect. I am a big believer in "paying it forward"
You should check out the local REIA clubs in your area for education and networking. You will have a hard time finding a true mentor as the people who you would want to be around are usually too busy and the ones that do have the time are looking for your money.
Good luck
Thanks Curt! My wife and I will look into REIA. Thanks for bringing it to my attention. I am realizing that the true mentors will need compensation for their time and I don't blame them. We definitely don't want to throw our money away for information that is not helpful or too advanced for where we are at. Thanks!
Rental Property Investor · Montrose, CA · Member since 2015 · 77 posts · 11 votes
11y
Originally posted by @Account Closed:
John Hodson I am young and passionate like yourself and would love to help you in the buy and hold department. I've been doing this for about a year now and seen both good and bad. Their is so much to learn that you probably don't even realize. You can hear my story with recent podcast I did with Joe Fairless at
http://joefairless.com/blog/podcast/jf349-how-to-find-a-lender-to-suit-your-investing
After that message me and let's connect. I am a big believer in "paying it forward"
Hi Joey, I listened to your podcast and I appreciate your transparency on your experience in REI. I'll send you a message. Thank you for paying it forward. That's awesome.
While I'm not located in Los Angeles, I'm located in San Diego so I would be happy to provide you with information regarding the solo 401k . For information regarding the solo 401k feel free to send me an email or call me; of course, I don't want to step on your self-directed solo 401k providers toes. I'm always happy to educate individual's on the solo 401k investment rules.
While I'm not located in Los Angeles, I'm located in San Diego so I would be happy to provide you with information regarding the solo 401k . For information regarding the solo 401k feel free to send me an email or call me; of course, I don't want to step on your self-directed solo 401k providers toes. I'm always happy to educate individual's on the solo 401k investment rules.