Property defect inspections- difficult and expensive, or no?
I'm in the process of studying for my California real estate license. Not for the purpose of becoming an agent (I'm a software engineer by trade), but rather for the purpose of learning more about the real estate industry, with a view to perhaps starting a business tailored to the industry.
I recently learned about the inspections that a buyer's agent must conduct in order to make their client aware of any defects in the property (cracks in the foundation, mold and mildew, etc.). I'm wondering how this process works from the agent's perspective:
1) Does the agent hire a licensed home inspector to come vet the property? Or do they usually perform this inspection themselves?
2) Does the inspector need the home vacated in order to properly conduct the inspection, i.e. with all the previous occupant's belongings moved out for easier access?
3) If the agent hires an inspector, what price range should the agent expect the inspector's fees to fall in?
4) Have you ever experienced a faulty inspection, i.e. where the inspector missed something? How big a problem would it be if they did so, in terms of financial impact / wasted time / etc.?
5) How long do these inspections usually take, from the time the inspector is hired until they deliver their report?
Hope that's not too many questions at once, and thanks in advance for your opinions. This forum has really helped me level up my skills in this complex industry.