Relatively New Investor Looking to Connect / Seeking Mentorship

Relatively New Investor Looking to Connect / Seeking Mentorship

Investor · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2024 · 5 posts · 2 votes

Good afternoon and happy Friday! I'm relatively new to the real estate game and am excited to meet like-minded individuals aiming to achieve financial freedom through investing in real estate. I first entered the mortgage world in 2011 when I got my real estate license in Maryland but since then I have moved to North Carolina, acquired two homes, and am looking to increase my portfolio and become more knowledgeable about this way of life. Please send me an invite if you'd like to connect or have any advice regarding attending BP events in the triangle area. I recently attended a networking event in Cary with TREIA and met a lot of really nice people (mostly into flipping), however, when I followed up most people were unresponsive. Any tips to make deeper connections or even getting a mentor would be greatly appreciated! 

2Reply
30 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Costa Mesa, CA · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
1y
Quote from @Brittany Corbin:
Quote from @Eric Gerakos:

Brittany, welcome. Did you have any specific questions about investing? 


Hi Eric, I'd like my strategy moving forward to include purchasing homes in the triangle that require a lot of work, flip, and sell for profit. I don't know if this is a good strategy or if there is another option that would be "better" to use in this specific market. I used to want to buy and hold but I've recently rented out one of my most favorite homes (yes, I got emotional about it) and did not like the experience of being a landlord. Eric, what has your experience been and what do you enjoy doing the most with REI? Thanks!


 Brittany, I've been investing in buy and hold properties and trust deeds for about 25 yrs. Knowing that you don't enjoy being a landlord is the best kind of self knowledge. Maybe your niche is being a flipper or a lender. I only buy in high end areas and enjoy my tenants who are responsible professionals. My main criteria for buying rentals is who my tenant pool is going to be, which is why I don't buy cheap midwest properties that attract undesirable, high maintenance tenants. Take your time and be an expert in the market you want to invest in.

See this reply in the discussion

11 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • MD/DC · Member since 2024 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y

    Hi and welcome! 

  • Ned CareyPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    1y

    @Brittany Corbin Welcome to BP.

    I wrote a blog post here you might find helpful.

    How to find a mentor

  • Investor · Costa Mesa, CA · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y

    Brittany, welcome. Did you have any specific questions about investing? 

    • Investor · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2024 · 5 posts · 2 votes
      1y
      Quote from @Eric Gerakos:

      Brittany, welcome. Did you have any specific questions about investing? 


      Hi Eric, I'd like my strategy moving forward to include purchasing homes in the triangle that require a lot of work, flip, and sell for profit. I don't know if this is a good strategy or if there is another option that would be "better" to use in this specific market. I used to want to buy and hold but I've recently rented out one of my most favorite homes (yes, I got emotional about it) and did not like the experience of being a landlord. Eric, what has your experience been and what do you enjoy doing the most with REI? Thanks!

    • Investor · Costa Mesa, CA · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
      1y
      Quote from @Brittany Corbin:
      Quote from @Eric Gerakos:

      Brittany, welcome. Did you have any specific questions about investing? 


      Hi Eric, I'd like my strategy moving forward to include purchasing homes in the triangle that require a lot of work, flip, and sell for profit. I don't know if this is a good strategy or if there is another option that would be "better" to use in this specific market. I used to want to buy and hold but I've recently rented out one of my most favorite homes (yes, I got emotional about it) and did not like the experience of being a landlord. Eric, what has your experience been and what do you enjoy doing the most with REI? Thanks!


       Brittany, I've been investing in buy and hold properties and trust deeds for about 25 yrs. Knowing that you don't enjoy being a landlord is the best kind of self knowledge. Maybe your niche is being a flipper or a lender. I only buy in high end areas and enjoy my tenants who are responsible professionals. My main criteria for buying rentals is who my tenant pool is going to be, which is why I don't buy cheap midwest properties that attract undesirable, high maintenance tenants. Take your time and be an expert in the market you want to invest in.

    • Investor · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2024 · 5 posts · 2 votes
      1y
      Quote from @Eric Gerakos:
      Quote from @Brittany Corbin:
      Quote from @Eric Gerakos:

      Brittany, welcome. Did you have any specific questions about investing? 


      Hi Eric, I'd like my strategy moving forward to include purchasing homes in the triangle that require a lot of work, flip, and sell for profit. I don't know if this is a good strategy or if there is another option that would be "better" to use in this specific market. I used to want to buy and hold but I've recently rented out one of my most favorite homes (yes, I got emotional about it) and did not like the experience of being a landlord. Eric, what has your experience been and what do you enjoy doing the most with REI? Thanks!


       Brittany, I've been investing in buy and hold properties and trust deeds for about 25 yrs. Knowing that you don't enjoy being a landlord is the best kind of self knowledge. Maybe your niche is being a flipper or a lender. I only buy in high end areas and enjoy my tenants who are responsible professionals. My main criteria for buying rentals is who my tenant pool is going to be, which is why I don't buy cheap midwest properties that attract undesirable, high maintenance tenants. Take your time and be an expert in the market you want to invest in.


       Thank you and that is such good advice. Honestly, that's what I needed and WANTED to hear. My rental was in a rural area and the tenant was not great, although, they looked good on paper. I was too flexible with them and they took advantage. I learned a lot of good / hard lessons. I love your approach of investing. Thank you for taking the time to share. 

  • Investor · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2019 · 314 posts · 280 votes
    1y

    Brittany - 

    I'm in Raleigh as well and would be happy to get together and swap stories!  I've also made several good real estate connections here in the Raleigh area and happy to introduce you.  I'e found that smaller group meetings or even just one on ones are often better than the larger networking events.  Send me a note and we can exchange info.

  • Investor · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2015 · 189 posts · 102 votes
    1y

    Happy talk. Especially to your point about managing tenants and setting boundaries. I've had it become a headache before too, but learned from it.

  • Terrance HillPro Member
    Realtor · Memphis, TN · Member since 2010 · 425 posts · 117 votes
    1y

    Hey Brittany, It’s great to see someone with your background — having a real estate license and mortgage experience already gives you a solid foundation to build on.

    Here are a few tips for making deeper connections and finding mentors:

    1. Be Genuine and Follow Up Strategically: Instead of broad follow-ups, try to build one-on-one relationships. Maybe invite someone for coffee or a quick call to hear their story and share yours.
    2. Offer Value: People respond well when you bring something to the table—whether it’s sharing a helpful article, offering to help with small tasks, or connecting them with someone in your network.
    3. Attend Focused Workshops or Mastermind Groups: These smaller, more intimate settings often foster stronger connections than large meetups.
    4. Leverage Online Groups: BiggerPockets forums, local Facebook groups, and LinkedIn can be great places to engage regularly and build rapport over time.
    5. Keep Showing Up: Consistency builds trust. The more events you attend, the more familiar you become to the community, and the easier it is to find mentors.
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.