New to Real Estate – Based in Queens, NY & Ready to Learn

New to Real Estate – Based in Queens, NY & Ready to Learn

Member since 2025 · 1 post · 4 votes

Hi everyone, I’m Kevin! I’m based in Queens, NY, and I’m just getting started on my real estate investing journey. I recently joined BiggerPockets because I want to learn how to build financial freedom—first for my parents, and then for myself.

My long-term dream is to purchase an apartment in Barranquilla, Colombia, where my parents are from, so they can retire comfortably. I’m also looking to invest here in the U.S. and create rental income through small multifamily properties or house hacking.

I currently work as a Spanish interpreter and earn about $27K/year, so I’m starting from the ground up—but I’m committed. Right now, I’m focused on learning, networking, and preparing to make that first move.

❓One thing I’d love advice on:

What’s your best tip for someone starting with limited income but big motivation and discipline?

Looking forward to learning from this awesome community and connecting with like-minded people!

Thanks,

Kevin M.

4Reply
14 views

Most Popular Reply

Lender · Playa del Carmen, México · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
1y
Quote from @Kevin Martelo:

Hi everyone, I’m Kevin! I’m based in Queens, NY, and I’m just getting started on my real estate investing journey. I recently joined BiggerPockets because I want to learn how to build financial freedom—first for my parents, and then for myself.

My long-term dream is to purchase an apartment in Barranquilla, Colombia, where my parents are from, so they can retire comfortably. I’m also looking to invest here in the U.S. and create rental income through small multifamily properties or house hacking.

I currently work as a Spanish interpreter and earn about $27K/year, so I’m starting from the ground up—but I’m committed. Right now, I’m focused on learning, networking, and preparing to make that first move.

❓One thing I’d love advice on:

What’s your best tip for someone starting with limited income but big motivation and discipline?

Looking forward to learning from this awesome community and connecting with like-minded people!

Thanks,

Kevin M.


Hey Kevin, welcome to BiggerPockets! 

I was raised in Queens, NY and I can relate to your goal to build financial freedom.

Also, while I've not yet visited Barranquilla, I have lived in Medellín and Santa Marta, Colombia! It's a beautiful country.

Fortunately, your personal income has little to do with your desire to learn real estate investing.

When you're starting out, only TWO skills truly matter:

1. Learn how to analyze, recognize and organize money-making deals.

2. Learn how to speak to sellers in such a way that they want to tell you their problems.

To develop these skills, you don't need a dime. You DO need to put in the hours practicing.

Find investors in your chosen market who are actually closing deals. Analyze the deals they've done. Talk to the seller leads they throw away.

Get some repetitions under your belt and you'll be well on your way! 

See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Lender · Playa del Carmen, México · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @Kevin Martelo:

    Hi everyone, I’m Kevin! I’m based in Queens, NY, and I’m just getting started on my real estate investing journey. I recently joined BiggerPockets because I want to learn how to build financial freedom—first for my parents, and then for myself.

    My long-term dream is to purchase an apartment in Barranquilla, Colombia, where my parents are from, so they can retire comfortably. I’m also looking to invest here in the U.S. and create rental income through small multifamily properties or house hacking.

    I currently work as a Spanish interpreter and earn about $27K/year, so I’m starting from the ground up—but I’m committed. Right now, I’m focused on learning, networking, and preparing to make that first move.

    ❓One thing I’d love advice on:

    What’s your best tip for someone starting with limited income but big motivation and discipline?

    Looking forward to learning from this awesome community and connecting with like-minded people!

    Thanks,

    Kevin M.


    Hey Kevin, welcome to BiggerPockets! 

    I was raised in Queens, NY and I can relate to your goal to build financial freedom.

    Also, while I've not yet visited Barranquilla, I have lived in Medellín and Santa Marta, Colombia! It's a beautiful country.

    Fortunately, your personal income has little to do with your desire to learn real estate investing.

    When you're starting out, only TWO skills truly matter:

    1. Learn how to analyze, recognize and organize money-making deals.

    2. Learn how to speak to sellers in such a way that they want to tell you their problems.

    To develop these skills, you don't need a dime. You DO need to put in the hours practicing.

    Find investors in your chosen market who are actually closing deals. Analyze the deals they've done. Talk to the seller leads they throw away.

    Get some repetitions under your belt and you'll be well on your way! 

  • Real Estate Broker · New York, NY · Member since 2020 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y

    This is a great intro, Kevin, and honestly you’re already ahead of most people by having a clear why and a game plan.

    With where you’re at, my best tip is to stay laser focused on building skills that cost nothing but can open doors—things like learning how to underwrite deals, networking with local investors, or even trying to find your first deal through wholesaling or bird dogging since those don’t require upfront capital. 

    You’ve already got a huge asset being bilingual, so use that to your advantage when networking, especially if you look into out-of-state markets where Spanish speakers aren’t as common. 

    Even with a smaller income, you can start learning the business, finding good deals, and eventually partner with people who have capital but no time. Keep the mindset of bringing value first and you’ll build your way up.

  • Abel CurielBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Queens, NY · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y

    Hello @Kevin Martelo & welome to the BiggerPockets forum!

    Something else I'd recommend is speaking with EVERYONE you know about Real Estate investing. You'd be surprised how many family members, neighbors, co-workers, people at your gym, etc. are interested in Real Estate investing as well. 

    Your sphere of influence is powerful because these are people who already know and trust you. As you continue to educate yourself, you'll become a more valuable asset to those around you. This is how partnerships start. If your income and/or capital is limited, you can add value to your partners in other ways. 

    If you don't mind me asking, where in Queens?

    Our office is in Astoria, and I grew up in Corona & Jackson Heights, large Colombian community.

    All the best!

    Abel

    REbuild Team - eXp Realty5234 Reviews
  • Member since 2025 · 91 posts · 55 votes
    1y

    Welcome to the neighborhood, Kevin! My best advice builds on what @Abel Curiel shared—speak to everyone about real estate investing. Beyond that, put yourself in a position to be around real estate as much as possible. Whether that means working as a building super, answering phones for a wholesaler, attending local real estate events, or helping out in any related role—getting close to deals and the people making them is key. The more you immerse yourself, the better your chances of spotting opportunities and learning the ropes firsthand.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.