Chiming in a little more often

14 Replies

HELLO HELLO Hola,

I've been an innocent bystander for years; just watching and reading/absorbing everything I could from this site. I feel it's finally time that I start giving back and contributing as well. I've been in the game for years and am an Investor, Realtor, Property Manager, and Contractor wrapped up into one crazy ginger-blooded dude. Hope to chat/chime in soon!

Jason

The market is good. Our Landlord laws could be better, but I've seen worse so I won't complain. Prices have been creeping up and the great deals found over the last 5 years have almost dissipated. I'm mostly in the Hampton Roads area of Virginia, but have some in Colorado. I prefer just Virginia Beach, Norfolk, and Chesapeake because I'm lazy and hate to drive through tunnels (time is money and I don't make any sitting in traffic on a bridge). I would consider the Outer Banks area, but only for an inexpensive rental property/vacation home.

Promotion
Guaranteed Rate
Guaranteed Rate is a top mortgage lender
Save $1,290 on your next home – no lender fee*
Get special perks like $1,290 in lender fee savings when you buy a second home with Guaranteed Rate.
Apply Now

Jason welcome to the site- its great to have someone w/ all of your knowledge and experience in the Va Bch area participating on the site.  BTW, I expect to close on that property today, but it is a teardown.

@Jason Sampson  Glad you joined the discussion! I discovered Bigger Pockets last November and jumped right in! My husband still reads from the side lines. Glad you completed your profile... looks good. Interesting what you said about the newbie rehabbers... I was thinking the same thing after seeing some properties in our area go to people who overpaid and under delivered on the quality of their rehab work. Didn't do good for our community. Well, all the best to you! Thanks for introducing yourself.

Originally posted by @Jason Sampson :

The market is good. Our Landlord laws could be better, but I've seen worse so I won't complain. Prices have been creeping up and the great deals found over the last 5 years have almost dissipated. I'm mostly in the Hampton Roads area of Virginia, but have some in Colorado. I prefer just Virginia Beach, Norfolk, and Chesapeake because I'm lazy and hate to drive through tunnels (time is money and I don't make any sitting in traffic on a bridge). I would consider the Outer Banks area, but only for an inexpensive rental property/vacation home.

Landlord laws in CA are supposed to be the worst or so people say.  Pricing in our area is leveling out and has had a slight downtick, curious to see if it starts back up in the spring or if we are near the top for a while.  It is funny because timing wasn't right so I didn't buy in the downturn, not sure if I should wish for a small downturn or just hope things stay level for a while as long as you just buy right.

Do you have areas with 3/2/2's that meet the 1 - 2% rule in B neighborhoods?

How are your property taxes?

Hey Jason, welcome bro, BP has everything you need.  I love it and get some great friends too.  I love the LL courts here.  Judges been pretty good to me.  What have you been experiencing???

Welcome to Biggerpockets!

A great place is to look around the blogs, forums and listen to the podcasts. If you see a post you enjoy check out the persons signature. Many of us including myself talk about our strategies, styles, niches and business model on our website. So definitely check that out as it is an amazing additional resource. For example, my blog is about while working full time, buy and hold investing, 0% Down Rentals, Personal Properties turned rentals, Long distancing investing, self-managing 3,000+ miles away. Definitely list your blog in your signature. Its a great additional networking source.

Look forward to seeing you around! Let me know if I can help!

Originally posted by @Anna Shaver :
Originally posted by @Jason Sampson:

Landlord laws in CA are supposed to be the worst or so people say.  Pricing in our area is leveling out and has had a slight downtick, curious to see if it starts back up in the spring or if we are near the top for a while.  It is funny because timing wasn't right so I didn't buy in the downturn, not sure if I should wish for a small downturn or just hope things stay level for a while as long as you just buy right.

Do you have areas with 3/2/2's that meet the 1 - 2% rule in B neighborhoods?

How are your property taxes?

Anna,

I'm not sure what "3/2/2's that meet the 1-2% rule in B neighborhoods" means so I can't reply to that. Our property taxes in the area are roughly 0.01% of assessment which for most cities(except Portsmouth; ugggh, I loath Portsmouth) is lower than ARV or Sales price.

Originally posted by @Kris Haskins :

Hey Jason, welcome bro, BP has everything you need.  I love it and get some great friends too.  I love the LL courts here.  Judges been pretty good to me.  What have you been experiencing???

Judges have been fairly easy to deal with for me as well. Once you know how to do everything, it's seems pretty smooth. Plus, after seeing my face enough, they know I know what I'm doing...getting my money from the tenants, after the fact, seems to be the issue. I use to not have as many evictions, but I guess as I buy more my percentage goes up regardless how well I screen them. Mostly due to loss of job or change in income situations and not anything I nor they could have foreseen.

Hey @Jason Sampson welcome to BP man. This site is great and with your experience I'm glad you decided to chime in. I just moved back to Hampton Roads and feeling out the market to to decide on my strategy. It seems it would be best for rentals here but I would much prefer to do wholesales and rehabs right now just trying to decide which cities I want to operate. Hopefully we will be able to connect sometime, is there any good meetups or reia's in the area?

Promotion
Roofstock
Buy & sell single-family rentals online
Radically accessible real estate investing
Get access to exclusive property listings, proprietary data, and support to build your portfolio.
Learn More

Welcome to BP community @Jason Sampson   It is a great place to meet new friends and learn about various aspects of real estate and more. 

Set up keyword alerts to be notified of the topics that interest you: http://www.biggerpockets.com/alerts

Wishing you the best! 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you