Newbie from Boston MA north shore

10 Replies

My name is Michael Sjogren and I am new to real estate investing. My first and only real estate deal was closing on my home 3 years ago. I am finishing my MBA and work in accounting for an international energy company. I am also an architecture and real estate photographer. I spend my morning and evening commute listening to podcasts and came across Bigger Pockets podcasts after Fortune Builder’s free seminar sparked my interest in real estate investing. My goal is to learn as much as I can about the various options in real estate investing so that I can start generating passive income.

I gratefully welcome any advice and would love to network with other local real estate investors.

Happy investing,

Mike

Welcome to Biggerpockets!

You found the place to be! You will find no better place to build a solid platform than bigger pockets. The one thing we all agree up on is that we invest in real estate. Beyond that everyone has a different niche! We got started right out of my MBA program with a personal property that we turned into a rental when we were transferred. 

We are buy and hold investors who invest in class A properties self-managing from a distance while working full time. Our goal is to build a portfolio or as I say an "empire" of passive income to provide the cash flow needed for early retire in 15 years, wo we do work on furthering our careers. We live very frugally allowing us to live off of one income and save the other. We have further our career and used the W2 income to leverage our real estate portfolio.

I highly recommend you also check out- the blogs, forums and listen to the podcasts. I talk about our experience in self-managing, buy and holds and investing in our niche in podcast 103. If you see a post you enjoy check out the persons signature. As many of us have created resources around our niche (websites, blogs, etc) so checking out the signature is a great to get more information. Make sure you don't miss out on networking is by filling out your signature, profile and pming people with questions.

Look forward to seeing you around! Let me know if I can help! Good luck!!!

Hi Elizabeth,

Thanks so much for your comments, I really appreciate it! I have been diligently listening in to a new BP podcast every day on my way to and from work, sometimes fitting in two depending on the traffic. I'll be sure to check out #103 this week. I look forward to learning from your experience. 

Thanks again and happy new year.

Mike

Promotion
REI Nation
Turnkey Real Estate
Wondering how to safely invest in out-of-state real estate?
This 40-page eBook is your best resource for safe, profitable, passive real estate investing.
Download Now

Hey @Michael Sjogren . Welcome to BP and the world of REI. Sounds like you have a pretty diverse background.

You'll definitely find a lot of locals here that can add some input.  Also, there are a number of networking events that you can attend, including the one that I hold in Reading on a quarterly basis.  

I'd recommend setting up some keywords like Massachusetts, MA, Boston, etc. so you get notified whenever someone is talking about these topics.  

@Michael Sjogren  

Welcome. Time to build the foundation below.

Check out the Start Here page http://www.biggerpockets.com/starthere

Two Great reads, I bought both J. Scott The Book on Flipping Houses,The Book on Estimating ReHab Costshttp://www.biggerpockets.com/flippingbook

Locate and attend 3 different local REIA club meetings great place to meet people gather resources and info. Here you will meet wholesalers who provide deals and all the cash buyers (rehabbers) you will need.

You might consider Niche or Specialized Housing like student housing. Rents can be 2-4 times more. Remember you don't have to own a property to control it.

Download BP’s newest book here some good due diligence in Chapter 10. Real Estate Rewind Starting over

http://www.biggerpockets.com/files/user/brandonatbp/file/real-estate-rewind-a-biggerpockets-community-book

Good luck

Paul

Hi Michael, welcome to BP.

This is a great place to learn. Make sure to listen to all the BP podcasts, read the articles on the main blog and be active in these forums to learn a ton very quickly about any topic in real estate you want to know more about.

This is also a great place to meet people that can be assets to your business. Lots of great connections all over but we also have a very strong and active contingent here in MA on here so make sure to find them (Set up some keyword alerts to find out about local topics) and get connected.

Besides doing that on here make sure to get out to some of the many local investor events we have.  I'll endorse Justin's as a good one to go to, get on his list.  Besides that up your way there are a couple meetings on the North Shore and I'd recommend checking out the NEREIA in Chelmsford (Which happens to be Wednesday).  I would also strongly recommend getting down to the Black Diamond meeting in Waltham.  It is a bit bigger than most and has a wider range of experience sine the educational topics are usually geared to more experienced people.  Lots more opportunities around and south of Boston too. 

@Michael Sjogren

Welcome to the community! BP has a tremendous amount of information to help you, but it is only available if you seek it out. Be sure to be as active and engaging as possible. Read blogs, post questions, and the podcasts are gold! The best free education you can get. Good luck!

Welcome to Biggerpockets and enjoy the site Michael...

I am also in the area (Somerville) and I do look forward to connecting with you.

Best of luck and please share your goals, deals, et al.

Flavio

Mike, 

Welcome to BiggerPockets! I've been reading and listening on here for awhile before I joined the community, learning so much about real estate investment. I recently listened to BP Podcast 105, and got a lot from it. All of the podcasts are great.

I am on the North Shore as well, and always looking to network. Best of luck to you!!

Janine

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you