New member from Anchorage, AK. Currently focused on acquiring and operating multifamily.

12 Replies

Hi Everyone,

I'm Ben Vandorn from Anchorage, AK. I've been investing for 5 years and currently own & self-manage multifamily rental units. I've been mainly focused on buy & hold in my home market, but am interested in expanding to other markets and participating in larger syndication deals to generate more cash flow. 

I'm very excited to be part of the Bigger Pockets community and am really looking forward to networking with other investors.    

I enjoy helping others by sharing what's worked from my experiences and also learning from others.  

Regards,

Ben Vandorn

Welcome to Biggerpockets!

You found the place to be! You will find no better place to build a solid platform than bigger pockets. The one thing we all agree up on is that we invest in real estate. Beyond that everyone has a different niche!

We are buy and hold investors who invest in class A properties self-managing from a distance while working full time. Our goal is to build a portfolio or as I say an "empire" of passive income to provide the cash flow needed for early retire in 15 years, wo we do work on furthering our careers. We live very frugally allowing us to live off of one income and save the other. We have further our career and used the W2 income to leverage our real estate portfolio. As my husband is active duty navy and home is "relative" we have gotten very good managing 3k+ miles away on the other side of this big nation :)

I highly recommend you also check out- the blogs, forums and listen to the podcasts.  Make sure you don't miss out on networking is by filling out your signature, profile and pming people with questions.

Look forward to seeing you around! Let me know if I can help! Good luck!!!

Originally posted by @Frankie Woods :

@Ben Vandorn 

Welcome to BP!  I lived in Anchorage (i.e., Eagle River) for two years back in '99.  I love that area!  How has the investing environment been there?  If I remember correctly, properties were pretty pricey...

Yes, it's expensive here, but rents have been keeping pace in many categories. 

@Ben Vandorn  

My brother lives in Anchorage. Been up there once to visit him. For my money, military towns are great, because you get that steady influx of renters. I just wish I knew more about them.

I'd be interested in speaking about what's coming down your pipeline. Since my brother is there, we have the ability to be somewhat active in the market. Although, I have never pulled him into a deal.

@Ben Vandorn  welcome to BiggerPockets!  Have you been to any of the local REX or other investment group meetings? A lot of local people have some good practical knowledge working in the multifamily landlord arena.  @Kassandra T.   And her husband have a local property management company that is investor friendly.  They have bought and managed their own properties as well as doing it for others.  Take care and hope to talk to you in the future!  Stay warm! ;-)

Originally posted by @Ben Vandorn :

Hi Everyone,

I'm Ben Vandorn from Anchorage, AK. I've been investing for 5 years and currently own & self-manage multifamily rental units. I've been mainly focused on buy & hold in my home market, but am interested in expanding to other markets and participating in larger syndication deals to generate more cash flow. 

I'm very excited to be part of the Bigger Pockets community and am really looking forward to networking with other investors.    

I enjoy helping others by sharing what's worked from my experiences and also learning from others.  

Regards,

Ben Vandorn

Anchorage is a great place for asset building on equity pay down and appreciation because of the price point.  It is a great leverage point.

@Ben Vandorn

Welcome to the community! BP has a tremendous amount of information to help you, but it is only available if you seek it out. Be sure to be as active and engaging as possible. Read blogs, post questions, and the podcasts are gold! The best free education you can get. Good luck!

@Ben Vandorn  welcome to BP! I was just up in your neck of the woods in August taking an RV trip around Alaska for a few weeks. Had an absolute blast and was blown away by how beautiful the state was. It seems like you're already well ahead of the game, but I'm sure that BP will still be able to help. Best of luck to you!

Hi there!  I am in Fairbanks.  I visited Anchorage last weekend and am so jealous about your Restore.  I think if I wasn't flying I would of bought out 1/2 the store.  Welcome to BP.  I am still pretty new to the site as well but am all for learning and networking.  Alaska is certainly a unique area!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you